ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36580 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if those weak piezo drivers gave way after a few minutes in the gig, whole rig screams cheap amateur DJ. Was there an option to rent instead?
Actually, piezos are fairly robust, especially as compared to cheap stamped frame subs.  Looking at the efficiency specs I'm guessing that the VC gap is fairly large and the magnet is pretty weak.  Makes for cheap, but while a large gap takes more power (a 1000W car door speaker!) to make any noise, you don't get much noise for all the amplifier you feed into it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »

Lets run some hard numbers.

The subs would be very well powered to nearly over powered by the amplifier. The amplifier providing 500 watts to a sub capable of 600 watts peak. The downside is that the sub is only rated for 89 - 94db 1w @1m. Even at the higher 94db 1w / 1m rating, the sub will only be capable of a peak SPL of 121db. This assumes best possible outcomes. If we go by the lower 89db 1w / 1m rating the sub would only be capable of 116db peak!!!!!

What does that mean? If you measured the highest possible output capable from that sub and amp at 1m from the face of the sub, it will only produce between 116db - 121db. The inverse square law says that you will reduce the SPL level by 6db for every doubling of distance. So at 2m the output will drop to between 110db - 115db. The average listener distance to the middle of the dance floor or desired listener area is between 4m - 8m. This is another 6-12db loss in SPL. Leaving you with 104db - 109 db on the high end to 98db - 103db on the low end. The average rock level show is around 105db - 110db. Your subs would barely be able to do this running at full tilt boogie.
There is a little error in your math.

You are quoting PEAK outputs, NOT what people would actually MEASURE or perceive.

You need to subtract at least 10dB (generally closer to 15dB) from your numbers to get "perceived" level.

So it gets even worse.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

Hi All, I am new here - I will introduce my self first:
I was a mobile DJ running and active RCF setup for the loudspeakers which I loved but unfortunately had to sell on when I hung up my headphones.

Anyway, many years later (now to be precise) I am starting my old live band up again and delving in to the realms of passive speaker setups (on a bit of a budget really) but want most power I can from the setup I can afford.

I opted for this (hope links are allowed): http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/PA-System-Summer-Nights-II-3500W-Dual-15-Inch-Speakers-Bass-Bins-Amplifiers-DJ-Disco_i5649.htm

And also purchased a Soundcraft EFX12 mixer.

Right, onto my question:
Can I run both amps (Sytec SKY1500II & Skytec SKY2000II) from my mixing desk - if so, do I need any special cables/connectors?

Then I want to run 2x8ohm speakers from each amp (2 tops & 2 subs). Can I just switch the amp to Bridge mode, then go from amp CH1 to speaker, then speaker to speaker (I assume this will generate 4 ohms).

Then do the same for the subs?

So effectively I will be using 1 channel on each amp.

I hope this makes sense - just so you know the amp and speakers have speakon connectors.

Sorry for waffling - any help would be appreciated (also, this seup is already purchased so suggestions for other makes/models won't be very helpful.

Thanks
Justin

Whew!  Talk about "blowin' up your phone"!  I'm joining late...  The general line here is that many have admitted to (and many have not) how their first (or second) "dream" system turned out.  I was was among the self-proclaimed "audiophiles" of the '70s - TAS, and all;). It doesn't matter when you join (or re-join) the foray, but I hope all here make you feel welcomed.  I am constantly re-inventing, sometimes with "old stuff", sometimes with new.  When you ask about re-use of old "anything" beside amplifiers. you will get "schlonged". 

Have fun, but use your ears wisely and respect your back, as you will need them both (well, all 3) for a very long time. 

My advice, here, is: take it outside, set it up, and CRANK it.  You will get the feedback (pun intended) that you are asking for.

-Dennis

<edit>  If you can make it sound good outside, it will probably sound great inside, AND you will understand what "headroom " means.  Most don't.

-D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:50:46 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »

Whew!  Talk about "blowin' up your phone"!  I'm joining late...  The general line here is that many have admitted to (and many have not) how their first (or second) "dream" system turned out.  I was was among the self-proclaimed "audiophiles" of the '70s - TAS, and all;). It doesn't matter when you join (or re-join) the foray, but I hope all here make you feel welcomed.  I am constantly re-inventing, sometimes with "old stuff", sometimes with new.  When you ask about re-use of old "anything" beside amplifiers. you will get "schlonged". 

Have fun, but use your ears wisely and respect your back, as you will need them both (well, all 3) for a very long time. 

My advice, here, is: take it outside, set it up, and CRANK it.  You will get the feedback (pun intended) that you are asking for.

-Dennis

<edit>  If you can make it sound good outside, it will probably sound great inside, AND you will understand what "headroom " means.  Most don't.

-D

$10 bucks says he never comes back.  The truth, you can't handle the truth!

He just wanted use to stroke his stuff and tell him what a nice system he bought.  1/2 the new posters want validation not advice.  If they wanted advice they would have asked first.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »

Link to video of powered version of said speakers:

https://youtu.be/73ap4mxg3RY

Someone went to the trouble of actually testing/measuring the passive models:  80W RMS, 160W peak
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »

1/2 the new posters want validation not advice.  If they wanted advice they would have asked first.

Isn't that the truth!  I'd say another fair percentage honestly asks for advice but gets highly discouraged when they realize they won't get professional-grade performance without paying a professional price.  The thing is, we all started somewhere.  Most of us couldn't start out buying pro-grade equipment either, but that's where the all important business plan comes in.  What investments present growth potential, which jobs warrant pay-to-play purchases, how do I minimize "disposable equipment" purchases just to build sufficient inventory, etc.  It's this that really defines the business portion of, well, the business!  Many just want to buy shiny, cool-looking gear for their garage band but can't grasp the business end of things...and thus can't budget/afford/justify the purchase of "real" pro audio equipment (and then crash and burn, literally, when trying to push Best Buy or Radio Shack speakers way beyond their intended use).   

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »

Link to video of powered version of said speakers:

https://youtu.be/73ap4mxg3RY

Someone went to the trouble of actually testing/measuring the passive models:  80W RMS, 160W peak

Wow, the speakers come with flashing lights too?!?  Man, I got ripped off then...  My QSC boxes only have a single tiny blue LED on the front and I must have paid like ten times the price for that!

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »

Wow, the speakers come with flashing lights too?!?  Man, I got ripped off then...  My QSC boxes only have a single tiny blue LED on the front and I must have paid like ten times the price for that!
I wonder if he set the lights on those to indicate their clipping?  ;)
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 01:21:49 AM »

From the same source, here's a rig with FOUR of those wretched cabinets (and 2 microphones!) for
£699.90 delivered.  If he'd gone this route, we could be explaining comb filtering to him when he asked about splaying the cabinets vs. stacking them.   ;D http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/DJ-PA-Set-Bass-First-Pro-Bluetooth-2x-Amp-4-x-Boxes-Mixer-4000W_i33650.htm
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Justin Addison

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »

$10 bucks says he never comes back.  The truth, you can't handle the truth!

He just wanted use to stroke his stuff and tell him what a nice system he bought.  1/2 the new posters want validation not advice.  If they wanted advice they would have asked first.

What a load of.... I'll take that $10 bucks please - I'll put it towards my new speakers.

I've taken everything you've all said (not including the rude replys) and have emailed hifi-tower to cancel the order and get a refund.

I am probably going to go for RCF 715A's in the end - a bit more cash but understand what you are all saying and I have good and fond experience/memories with my old RCF system.

These speakers are rated at 700W RMS with 130db SPL each - so pretty loud I think.
I'll probably invest in a sub (maybe 2) at some point - I think the new RCF ones are 1000W.

Thanks for all your positive comments.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.