ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managed Switch & RF  (Read 2494 times)

Mark Hannah

Managed Switch & RF
« on: November 07, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »

Preface:  I'm looking to implement/update our network, i.e. VLANs for RF coordination and programming, iPad console control, etc.  Currently, the managed switch of choice is Pakedge's SX Line as it is built with audio/video/production in mind.

Now the real question...  What advice do you have for placing a managed switch near RF gear (IEMs, com, mics...)?

I recall, at SynAudCon's recent wireless seminar, that one of the panelists mentioned in passing that managed switches and RF gear don't play nicely.  To avoid having to add an extra rack or completely redesign racks that are tight for space, we would like to remove our prior 24port switch (~25% rack depth) and replace with the Pakedge device. 

In two of the racks, the switch is one space below a D9000 mainframe.  And in another it is between a D9000 mainframe and 4x 2050IEM/PWS combiner.  Neither one of these configurations has given us any problems with the non-managed switch.

Thank you for your input.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Managed Switch & RF
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »

Preface:  I'm looking to implement/update our network, i.e. VLANs for RF coordination and programming, iPad console control, etc.  Currently, the managed switch of choice is Pakedge's SX Line as it is built with audio/video/production in mind.

Now the real question...  What advice do you have for placing a managed switch near RF gear (IEMs, com, mics...)?

I recall, at SynAudCon's recent wireless seminar, that one of the panelists mentioned in passing that managed switches and RF gear don't play nicely.  To avoid having to add an extra rack or completely redesign racks that are tight for space, we would like to remove our prior 24port switch (~25% rack depth) and replace with the Pakedge device. 

In two of the racks, the switch is one space below a D9000 mainframe.  And in another it is between a D9000 mainframe and 4x 2050IEM/PWS combiner.  Neither one of these configurations has given us any problems with the non-managed switch.

Thank you for your input.

I do not believe this is an issue.  We always have managed switches in our RF racks without any issues.  This might have been a specific issue and he then assumed the RF was always bad.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »

I find a lot of ethernet switches to be RF noisy, but not at the frequencies used for wireless mics. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.