ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker stand tilt adapters (UK)  (Read 22207 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Speaker stand tilt adapters (UK)
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:59:07 AM »

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking for some speaker stand tilt adapters. I have a pair of DIY speakers that are quite similar to the JTR Noesis 3TX. Different drivers*, but pretty much the same layout, weight (around 25kg), and dimensions. My horns are 90x40, so I'd like to be able to tilt them down a good amount.

I've seen the K&M variable tilt adapter, but I can see the centre of gravity ending up quite far forwards with a cabinet that's around 3' tall.
I'm currently using some Gorilla tripod stands, but an upgrade is on the cards.

To make it a bit more difficult, I'm based in the UK. Anyone know of anything that might do the job? - I've seen the BT12 recommended, but I expect shipping to be prohibitively expensive.

Cheers
Chris

*Faital Pro 10FH520 and 18Sound ND1460, for those interested.
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Re: Speaker stand tilt adapters (UK)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 07:09:16 AM »

The BT12 is the only one I've seen that adjusts the center of gravity as it tilts. The prices on their web site include shipping, too. Looks like they're $375 to Europe. Is that within your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:22:43 AM »

Budget is flexible - the longer I wait, the more money I'll have to spend.

That said, $375 is quite a lot of money for the level I'm at at the moment. Its another sub driver, or another couple of mics, or...
I'd quite like something akin to the K&M 19672, which has two sections joined by a plate:
http://www.parts-express.com/Data/Default/Images/Catalog/Original/242-7730_HR_0.jpg

Unfortunately, they're an old product and have become unobtainium.

I can't weld, but I'm fairly good at woodwork, so I might build something if I can't buy what I'm after at a more sensible price (not that the BT12 is ridiculously expensive, its just more than I'd like to spend).

Cheers
Chris

PS - to give you an idea, here's the system run-down:
QSC TM16
Mostly EV N/DYM mics
DIY speakers and subs (in addition to the tops above, subs are based on 4x Beyma 15P1200Nd)
Behringer iNukes (don't laugh), DCX2496 for routing and summing.
Some cheap-ish coaxial passive monitors, 4x 8" and 2x 12". Sort of Yamaha DBR level.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Speaker stand tilt adapters (UK)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »

Unfortunately, they're an old product and have become unobtainium.
Is that some new type of alloy?

The newer K&M ring-lock tilters (https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Lock-Speaker-Tilt-Connector/dp/B000WB511A) will probably be fine if you have some solid tripod stands; just make sure you put one of the tripod legs directly under the speaker's "forward" direction.

Just think about whether you're going to immediately wish you'd gotten the BT12 before buying something else! I haven't used them, but a lot of folks whose opinions I value have, and wouldn't use anything else.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »

The newer K&M ring-lock tilters (https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Lock-Speaker-Tilt-Connector/dp/B000WB511A) will probably be fine if you have some solid tripod stands; just make sure you put one of the tripod legs directly under the speaker's "forward" direction.

BTW - I just bought two of these about 30 minutes ago from B &H Video. They were only $64.99 each.  Everywhere else they are usally listed for $84.99

I have already have the non locking version and they work OK, but some of my speakers center of gravity is to one side and they tend to spin, someitme at the most inopportune times.  I've put speakers weighing 22kg at the most severe angle on what I would call "typical" speaker stands at full height with no issues as long as I put one leg directly under the speaker.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »

I've put speakers weighing 22kg at the most severe angle on what I would call "typical" speaker stands at full height with no issues as long as I put one leg directly under the speaker.

That's useful to know, thanks Scott. How tall are the speakers? - Mine are a little over 3', so the centre of gravity could end up really far forwards if tilted much.

Cheers gents
Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »

Are your cabinets straight or trapezoidal? If they are straight consider installing flyware in the sides and finding a U-bracket to fit, inverted with a pole mount adapter.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »

That's useful to know, thanks Scott. How tall are the speakers? - Mine are a little over 3', so the centre of gravity could end up really far forwards if tilted much.

Cheers gents
Chris

Please note the K&M's are rated for 55 lb. (25 kg). We were using a pair of the K&M ring lock speaker tilters on a pair of Danley SM80's which are about a foot shorter than your speakers and slightly over the rated weight for the K&M's, and they were noticeably out of balance, even on secure M20-style K&M distance rods. The BT12 Balanced Tilter is so much better...it is well worth the price (after using them and comparing to what I had, in quality, durability and ease of use), and capable of up to 100 lb. loads, and no out of balance strain on the supports. It can also be easily adjusted in place, something that is near impossible with the K&M's.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »

If your cabs are homemade you might consider these:

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-top-hat-ch-adjustable-speaker-pole-mount--290-670

I've got them on a couple of side-fills that sometimes like to elevate and tilt downwards for feedback control. They're pretty slick because they shift the center of gravity under the pole as you tilt downwards.

But because of their enlonged hole size they are gonna require some cutting on your cabs and I have no idea how safe they (or any other speaker tilter) is going to be on a cab over three feet tall. I think if you really want to do this right you're going to have to use Mike Pyle's suggestion of a U-bracket.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »

Cheers gents
Chris

Tallest are aprox. 25". They are also all powered so the amp on the back probably pushes the COG a little further back than a passive speaker.   I missed how tall yours are and I agree with others that I wouldn't do more than a slight angle on a speaker 3 ft tall. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.