ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: sonic compromise with homemade speaker cables?  (Read 13430 times)

Ron Roberts

sonic compromise with homemade speaker cables?
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Is there any sound quality compromise if I make homemade speaker cables with speakon/neutrik connectors (or generic maker if those are brand names) and 12-gauge lamp cord?    It seems like it would be a fraction of the cost compared to the ones on the major retailer websites.   And speaker cables should not be shielded or twisted, correct?

Or does someone have a source where you can get them at wholesale cost?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: sonic compromise with homemade speaker cables?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »

Is there any sound quality compromise if I make homemade speaker cables with speakon/neutrik connectors (or generic maker if those are brand names) and 12-gauge lamp cord?    It seems like it would be a fraction of the cost compared to the ones on the major retailer websites.   And speaker cables should not be shielded or twisted, correct?

Long term you'll want a cable that is more "handling-friendly" than zip cord, but copper is copper and anything that fits the connector will suffice.

While is is not necessary for speaker conductors to be twisted, they usually are because of the way the cable is laid up.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »

Zip cord = bad idea.  It's a PITA to deal with, and not worth the savings.  Sound quality won't be any different, so if you are looking to be as cheap as possible in the short term, it's a way to get started.
Brian Jojade

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »

Assuming the copper is the same size the difference is how easy it is to coil and handle the cable-along with the durability.

Remember that the "factory" cables are still made by hand.

I am not aware of any machine that is putting NL4s on cables.  But there may be.

In order to get "wholesale pricing" you need to be in a position to make it worthwhile for whoever is selling to you.

Are you going to order A LOT of cables for continuous resale? Or make a one time purchase?

Look at it from the other persons perspective-what is in it for them?  Why should they give YOU a special price that others can't get?

Just like any retail setup.

I'm not trying to be mean-just point out the way things work.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »

I am not sure if you are dg in the US but if you are do what many of us small system guys do and go to audiopile.net.

A decent product at a fair price with better than good customer service.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Jay Barracato

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:47 PM »

The NL4 is a no solder connector.  Depending on how much you need, a spool of 250-500ft and a batch of bare nl4 along with a half hour and a good wire stripper should net you some good cabling for often less than the pre-made stuff.

Ron Roberts

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »

Thank you gentlemen... all good info.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »

Purpose made speaker cable is usually more flexible but you can use 2 conductor jacketed power cable from your home improvement store.

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:08:18 AM »

I have used #14-2 low-voltage landscaping cable for permanent install, but I would not suggest it or any other zip cord for portable/mobile use. The jacket is too stiff and is prone to work it's way out of the terminals in the NL4's. Spend a little extra and buy a spool of flexible speaker cable. Also, make certain you have the proper screwdriver that fits the screws on the NL4's. Makes a big difference.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 02:17:24 AM »

I have used #14-2 low-voltage landscaping cable for permanent install, but I would not suggest it or any other zip cord for portable/mobile use. The jacket is too stiff and is prone to work it's way out of the terminals in the NL4's. Spend a little extra and buy a spool of flexible speaker cable. Also, make certain you have the proper screwdriver that fits the screws on the NL4's. Makes a big difference.

Whatever you do make sure you buy your NL4's from a reliable source.  The counterfeit Neutrik connectors are beyond garbage.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 02:17:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.