ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx venue 360 with active speakers  (Read 7968 times)

Javier Borja

dbx venue 360 with active speakers
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »

So we recently got some new speakers. They're all active so I know we technically don't need a crossover since its all in the amp's dsp. However I feel like it still needs something. I would like to know what you guys would do in a situation like this. I tried researching and I previously mentioned it on another post. But it was too vague. The thing about it is that the amps have 2 inputs left/right and 2 outputs left/right. The way I wanted to do it was get a dbx venue360 and send the signals full range however because of the inputs and outputs I don't know if that's the right way of doing it. I will upload pictures of the amps when I get on my computer tomorrow. Right now we have them connected from the mixer  with the left going to the tops, we had to split them because the signal was weak, the right going to the crossover and then to the subs. We didn't split this one up and the left side (looking at it from the audience view) punches a lot harder than the right. I think another split at the mixer and going left and right in the crossover and out left and right to the sub amps would help a lot. This is how we have everything working right now. If anyone has 2 cents to pitch in please help lol. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:30:33 PM by Mac Kerr »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: DBX venue 360 with active speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »

So we recently got some new speakers. They're all active so I know we technically don't need a crossover since its all in the amp's dsp. However I feel like it still needs something. I would like to know what you guys would do in a situation like this. I tried researching and I previously mentioned it on another post. But it was too vague. The thing about it is that the amps have 2 inputs left/right and 2 outputs left/right. The way I wanted to do it was get a dbx venue360 and send the signals full range however because of the inputs and outputs I don't know if that's the right way of doing it. I will upload pictures of the amps when I get on my computer tomorrow. Right now we have them connected from the mixer  with the left going to the tops, we had to split them because the signal was weak, the right going to the crossover and then to the subs. We didn't split this one up and the left side (looking at it from the audience view) punches a lot harder than the right. I think another split at the mixer and going left and right in the crossover and out left and right to the sub amps would help a lot. This is how we have everything working right now. If anyone has 2 cents to pitch in please help lol. :)

When you can define what it is that you think the system "needs" (your word choice) we might be able to offer suggestions.  You have a wiring problem or other issue that isn't going to be addressed by the Drive Rack unless you fix the other problems.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:10:48 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: DBX venue 360 with active speakers
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

If you have subs that are not self powered you will need some sort of crossover between them and the tops.

In your case I would run left and right from the mixer into the dbx 360 and do the signal processing there, then split off to the speakers. This will allow you to set crossover points between the subs and mains as well as time align and EQ them.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: dbx venue 360 with active speakers
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 06:31:37 PM »

Sigh... There are no capital letters in the name dbx.

Mac

Javier Borja

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »

Sigh... There are no capital letters in the name dbx.

Mac

I'm not sure what this means lol...

When you can define what it is that you think the system "needs" (your word choice) we might be able to offer suggestions.  You have a wiring problem or other issue that isn't going to be addressed by the Drive Rack unless you fix the other problems.

Well, the biggest issue with the band members was that clarity was a big issue. I'm not sure how, but to me it sounded good, the only thing was that we had to use the pan on the mixer to adjust to either highs or subs and then the right sub wasn't kicking like it should have. I didn't have time to take a picture of everything so a broad explanation (I think) would do the trick. I know I should've taken some before, but I did the post in the middle of the gig, and I was tired at the end of it haha.

If you have subs that are not self-powered you will need some sort of crossover between them and the tops.

In your case I would run left and right from the mixer into the dbx 360 and do the signal processing there, then split off to the speakers. This will allow you to set crossover points between the subs and mains as well as time align and EQ them.

ok, so this goes against everything people from SamAsh and a few other fellows I know, that do sound, have told me. The way we connected was probably not the best way, but it helped us get through it. From what I've been told connecting directly to the crossover and then branching to the speakers is a no-no since they're active and don't require external crossovers. Their argument is that adding on to the amp's DSP is not a good idea unless you want to blow speakers up. Now if it were the case of connecting to the crossover, (this picture shows what I mean by the next few words: ) Could I connect the left and right from the mixer to the crossover and split it with a Y at the outputs for highs and then connect left and right on the amps? These amps are really killing me. I'm not so sure why they made them like this.

I also have a hard time figuring out how I will do the configurations. Will it just go on the out for the highs on the specific crossover range or will I have to set it as a full range signal?

Here's the whole set. We had to put them upside down. The subs kicked like crazy lol.

And another one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:42:58 PM by Javier Borja »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »

What are the specific speakers you bought?
What mixer are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Javier Borja

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »

What are the specific speakers you bought?
What mixer are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They are JSL. I don't know how we got them, my dad did all of that. lol I tried getting some info for chamber tunings but it wasn't successful.

They sent me this: dual 10'' frequency respond range 55Hz - 20KHz, crossover point 1.8KHz.
I found this to be too vague. They didn't include any limiters, delays, or peqs.

The subs are dual 18s
I eyeballed the crossover, I can't remember what I put, but I based it off as if it were a JBL SRX728.

as for the mixer, we are using a Behringer X32.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:39:57 PM by Javier Borja »

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »

OP you got suckered in to a Chinese line array. A little digging and JSL speakers is actually "Jonshlong Audio Professional" which is sold in Alibaba.

http://jslpa.en.alibaba.com/product/60217677672-800854009/2015_New_Design_Powerful_Professional_Line_Array_10_Inch_Line_Array.html

Javier Borja

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »

OP you got suckered in to a Chinese line array. A little digging and JSL speakers is actually "Jonshlong Audio Professional" which is sold in Alibaba.

http://jslpa.en.alibaba.com/product/60217677672-800854009/2015_New_Design_Powerful_Professional_Line_Array_10_Inch_Line_Array.html

oh wow haha. I didn't know. My dad did everything so he's the one to blame. Surprisingly the audio quality from these speakers isn't bad. When I heard them I was impressed with it. It's just that I don't think I'm doing it the right way it should be done.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »

Two things.

1. Unless there is a setting on the speaker that says crossover, external subs, or low end cut, there is no crossover in place and the speaker will run full range. This means that the speaker will operate all the way down to the specified 55hz stated in the specs.

2. Many subs have the crossover built in for the sub itself, but this is only true for self powered subs. If the sub is not self powered then you HAVE to use a crossover and will HAVE to cross the mains / tops over as well.

I don't think you are running this system with the subs on an aux, so my answer stands........ Go into the dbx driverack and use the processing in there to crossover the tops and subs correctly. The tops being self powered should have some sort of array settings? Beyond that you can take the advise of whomever you'd like, but I wouldn't lie to you.

Let me ask you this? Does it not seem odd to run only the left or right signal to the dbx to use as a crossover for the subs? I mean wouldn't you want both the left and right signals to sum together to use for mono subs? The way you have it now only one side is sending the sub content. The way I and other will propose, will allow full control to do whatever you like.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Javier Borja

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 07:57:19 PM »

Two things.

1. Unless there is a setting on the speaker that says crossover, external subs, or low end cut, there is no crossover in place and the speaker will run full range. This means that the speaker will operate all the way down to the specified 55hz stated in the specs.

2. Many subs have the crossover built in for the sub itself, but this is only true for self powered subs. If the sub is not self powered then you HAVE to use a crossover and will HAVE to cross the mains / tops over as well.

I don't think you are running this system with the subs on an aux, so my answer stands........ Go into the dbx driverack and use the processing in there to crossover the tops and subs correctly. The tops being self powered should have some sort of array settings? Beyond that you can take the advise of whomever you'd like, but I wouldn't lie to you.

Let me ask you this? Does it not seem odd to run only the left or right signal to the dbx to use as a crossover for the subs? I mean wouldn't you want both the left and right signals to sum together to use for mono subs? The way you have it now only one side is sending the sub content. The way I and other will propose, will allow full control to do whatever you like.

OK, I see what you're saying. Could you give me a breakdown on the frequencies? I don't seem to understand why they can go all the way down to 55hz. I thought that was sub land.

There isn't anything on there to specify what you said about crossover, sub or low end cut. I don't know how they are supposed to run if they need an external crossover.

Kevin Brown

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »

How is the remote interface?  I hear you can run it from your ipad or android device.  It would be nice to be able to adjust the processor from the middle of the dance floor.

Kevin Brown

David Allred

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »

How is the remote interface?  I hear you can run it from your ipad or android device.  It would be nice to be able to adjust the processor from the middle of the dance floor.

Kevin Brown

You must have a wireless router to operate wirelessly.

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »

OK, I see what you're saying. Could you give me a breakdown on the frequencies? I don't seem to understand why they can go all the way down to 55hz. I thought that was sub land.

There isn't anything on there to specify what you said about crossover, sub or low end cut. I don't know how they are supposed to run if they need an external crossover.

They will play (spec'd) down to 55hz without subs.  You do have subs, so they should be x'd-over at say 100hz LR24.  The subs somewhere around 40 or 45hz.
(subs 45hz BW18 - 100hz LR24)
(tops 100hz LR24 - 18Khz-ish)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.