ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville vs D.a.s. Line Arrays  (Read 6283 times)

Bernard Fernand

Yorkville vs D.a.s. Line Arrays
« on: October 31, 2015, 11:02:01 PM »

Hey guys, has anyone tried the yorkville psa1 or the das event 208a. If so can you guys give me an opinions on these and which one is better?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Yorkville vs D.a.s. Line Arrays
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 02:45:09 AM »

Hey guys, has anyone tried the yorkville psa1 or the das event 208a. If so can you guys give me an opinions on these and which one is better?

Hi Bernard!

I gave the PSA1s a try on an outdoor gig recently (listening area was about 75'x75', possibly wider) and they seemed to get the job done at 2 per side. They're not the best sounding box you've ever heard, but they are a viable tool for particular situations at a certain price-point.

My biggest complaint about them was actually about the subs: I had spec'ed 2 PSA1Ss per side (dual 12", 1400 watt), but was told that all I'd really need was a single PSA2S per side instead (dual 15", 2800 watt). Having still not heard the 12" subs, I can't swear that they'd have been better, but for their power draw (something like 7 amps rated) I found the dual 15"s pretty disappointing outdoors; I definitely wanted to push them harder than they really were up to.

-Russ

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »

What's your application? And why are you limited to these two brands?  Why do you need a line array?

Not trying to sound condescending, just trying to ask the right questions so someone can provide a helpful answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

What's your application? And why are you limited to these two brands?  Why do you need a line array?

Not trying to sound condescending, just trying to ask the right questions so someone can provide a helpful answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 line array elements per side is not a line, it's not even a "dash".

Spend the same amount of $$ on 1 speaker of the appropriate coverage per side and enjoy better sound - first because you probably eliminated some interference and second because you've made a major step up in the quality of speaker you're buying.

Seriously.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »

Spend the same amount of $$ on 1 speaker of the appropriate coverage per side and enjoy better sound - first because you probably eliminated some interference and second because you've made a major step up in the quality of speaker you're buying.

Seriously.

Absolutely...I get Sooo tired of explaining this. Most cheaper 'array' speakers are the same components as their single box brethren...at TWICE the price. Good marketing but my ears always tell me no.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 01:26:18 PM »

Lots of operators in my area are " upgrading" to what seems to be a 2-5 per side "array". If it looks good it must sound good right?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:32:30 PM by Jonathan Betts »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »

Seriously.

You're right, of course. The reasons I used a PSA1 system were: a) I was renting, and rentals of Yorkville gear are pretty heavily subsidized by their main Canadian retailer, and b) the ~30 degree vertical dispersion and ~110 degree horizontal dispersion of a two-box constant curvature array seemed ideal for my application and hard to find, at that rental price point, in a single-box form-factor. I would absolutely use that system again for a similar show (wide audience, decent throw distance, no audience rake, poor speaker elevation, etc.) on a similar budget (a very small three-digit number, and that's Canadian), but that's about all I'd use it for. They sure aren't worth buying (but then, given how little they rent for up here, I've found that almost no Yorkville gear is worth buying).

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »

You're right, of course. The reasons I used a PSA1 system were: a) I was renting, and rentals of Yorkville gear are pretty heavily subsidized by their main Canadian retailer, and b) the ~30 degree vertical dispersion and ~110 degree horizontal dispersion of a two-box constant curvature array seemed ideal for my application and hard to find, at that rental price point, in a single-box form-factor. I would absolutely use that system again for a similar show (wide audience, decent throw distance, no audience rake, poor speaker elevation, etc.) on a similar budget (a very small three-digit number, and that's Canadian), but that's about all I'd use it for. They sure aren't worth buying (but then, given how little they rent for up here, I've found that almost no Yorkville gear is worth buying).

-Russ
Sounds like you've got the business end figured out. 😀

I understand and agree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »

Lots of operators in my area are " upgrading" to what seems to be a 2-5 per side "array". If it looks good it must sound good right?
It's spending a lot of coin to look new and up to date while providing what is seldom the right Rig for the Gig.

John Chiara

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »

It's spending a lot of coin to look new and up to date while providing what is seldom the right Rig for the Gig.

Can you say.."VRX?"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.