ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Si Performer Triage !!! Help !!!  (Read 6734 times)

mateo homan

• "music is the best" -zappa
Soundcraft Si Performer Triage !!! Help !!!
« on: October 22, 2015, 09:02:55 PM »

Ok. I'm trying not to freak out about it.  I have an Si 3 that I know is reliable for this weekend's gig, but my Si 3 is on time out until I can get it to STOP CRASHING EVERY FIVE  *^#!#*$@ MINUTES!

(deep breath ... deeep breath....)

I've been very much in contact with Soundcraft in LA about these and some other less show-stoppy issues, and I've updated firmware until I'm blue in the face.  I've flashed the SD memory about half of those times. 

I would consider myself fairly competent with this particular line- we've had them on both ends for 2 seasons at my 1600 seater, so I've been down the D.O.G.S. road. Got that sorted.  Figured out that if you attach an Si to a stagebox today, you'd better load up a fresh show tomorrow if you don't have said stagebox again. I'm fully aware that at least 30% of my freak-outs have been because I went into fader setup, got interrupted, and came back to "frozen" desk.  This is none of those issues. 

What I have is a desk that will chug along happily on local inputs for hours, then in the middle of full band headliner set, decide to freeze in its current state, passing audio, giving no indication of its malfuncition until it try to change something. And. Nothing. Works. 

Hard Reboot.  Middle of show.   Twice, last time. 

Now the Si 3 won't even power up properly.  Hangs on the checkpoint screen 8 times out of 10. 

Anyone have any insight whatsoever? I'm at a loss and Soundcraft hasn't gotten back....

Thanks for listening...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Soundcraft Si Performer Triage !!! Help !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

You can try pulling the SD card and cleaning the contacts.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Wal Mann

• Wollongong NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:15:17 AM »

Also for trouble shooting with the SI series, try disconnecting any Wireless router connected to the console. Not sure if you have a WAP connected.

There have been some users experience lock ups with SOME routers.

On the Soundcraft Si Facebook page there is a post from Soundcraft about the delay on the ViSi listen app due to identified problems with network connections. They are working on a fix.

Wal

Michael Kurczeski

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:52 AM »

go to guitar center and get an X32.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »

Or you could go to Guitar Center and get a life. Does that remark help the OP at all?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 10:13:42 AM »

Nice waste of bandwidth.  Do I envision an X32 sitting on display at a Guitar Center surrounded by a golden aura?  The holy grail?  There are a number of good choices in the digital realm and at this price point, depending on a users specific needs and preferences.  There is no clear winner on all counts.  The OP chose the Si.  Do you have anything of value to contribute to try to help him out?
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »

I gotta ask.

Why do you think replacing the Soundcraft with an X32 is the solution?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 11:03:59 AM »

You can try pulling the SD card and cleaning the contacts.

Or re-seating it, which cleaning will accomplish.

These kinds of "little details" separate the more expensive consoles from the entry level.  The Avid SC48 contains about 30 lbs of electronics, the rest is connectors, steel and aluminum, fasteners and silicone sealant and thread-locking compound.  Take a look inside an X32 or the Si series.  They're not crap but it becomes easy to see that the higher priced mixers are mechanically more robust in addition to any real or perceived electro-sonic differences.  The type of design and assembly required for that does not fit well with entry-level pricing.

Expect to see loose SD cards and other relatively minor (and easy to fix) problems.  From any brand.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:06:47 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »

I wonder how many lounge people periodically go though their gear with a can of DeOxit cleaning and reseating internal connections.  Pro's take PM as a normal part of doing business.  For the use I had, a 2 year interval was fine on my old Allen & Heath stuff.  I'm not sure what it's like on the new stuff but I'll probably pull open the Expression before next summer's season and see how much has moved around and get an idea how fast things work loose.  Unless some really high profile thing comes up first and then I'll probably just make sure everything's seated fully.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

SD cards will get problem matic after repeated uses.   
Try another SD card. 

UPS power protection. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.