ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powercon issue...  (Read 7303 times)

Chris Edwards

Powercon issue...
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »

I am somewhat stumped on this one.  I put together a patch panel for my racks with a powercon in and out connector.  The powercon input has a tail with a female edison and I plug my tripplite strip into it.  The powercon output has a tail with a male edison and plugs into the strip.  Whenever I plug the unit into a GFI powersource it always trips the GFI.  I have triple checked the wiring and used a receptablet tester to check the connection and it is showing everything as correct.  Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Powercon issue...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »

I am somewhat stumped on this one.  I put together a patch panel for my racks with a powercon in and out connector.  The powercon input has a tail with a female edison and I plug my tripplite strip into it.  The powercon output has a tail with a male edison and plugs into the strip.  Whenever I plug the unit into a GFI powersource it always trips the GFI.  I have triple checked the wiring and used a receptablet tester to check the connection and it is showing everything as correct.  Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
Does your Tripplite trip the GFCI when plugged not through the Powercon panel?  Does the Powercon panel trip the GFCI without the Tripplite strip plugged in?

Chris Edwards

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »

Does your Tripplite trip the GFCI when plugged not through the Powercon panel?  Does the Powercon panel trip the GFCI without the Tripplite strip plugged in?

Tripplite straight there is no issue. 

I will have to test the Powercon panel with no tripplite the next time I'm at that venue.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

Tripplite straight there is no issue. 

I will have to test the Powercon panel with no tripplite the next time I'm at that venue.
You might have a neutral/ground reverse somewhere in your Powercon wiring.  That would fool an outlet tester but not a GFCI.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »

You might have a neutral/ground reverse somewhere in your Powercon wiring.  That would fool an outlet tester but not a GFCI.

That sounds plausible.  Remember, with PowerCons, unlike regular Edison plugs/connectors, you have to cross the wires over at one end or the other.  They don't lay out in a nice triangle formation like they do with Edisons (or Twist-Locs, for that matter).

GTD

Chris Edwards

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »

It's definitely not the ground. 

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »

Also, a swapped Neutral-Ground will cause a lot of ground loop current and potentially hum. See http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,155918.0.html for a new thread on this topic.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »

How do you know that?

Chris Edwards

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »

How do you know that?

I took apart the panel mount and connector again and double checked.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »

Best way to double check this is to plug the connectors together and ohm them out making sure it goes how you think it does.

Not the voice of criticism or doubt-just experience.  Everyone says not to assume-but it can be hard to not make some assumptions.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.