ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Sound Labs Case Study  (Read 5741 times)

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Danley Sound Labs Case Study
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »

Hi everybody,

A while ago I had the privilege of premiering Danley products in a Dutch theatrical production. This was such an interesting experience that I decided to write an extensive case study (link below) where I provide full disclosure on the entire event from concept to realization.

Regards,

Merlijn van Veen

https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/index.php/en/study-hall/90-danley-sound-labs-case-study

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

John L Nobile

Re: Danley Sound Labs Case Study
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to post your study Merlijn. I've been using SH96HO's for just over a year now in an indoor venue.
I have to agree that the coverage in the room is very even in level and tone. I also have SM80s and SM LPM's and they also have very even coverage. I suspect all their speakers do that.
I got settings a year ago and I'll check tomorrow, but I think mine are a little different than the ones you posted.
The delay times are different and I only have one band delayed. I don't understand why both hi and lows are delayed.
I found the factory settings I got to be a little harsh and have played with them a bit.
Did you notice the detail in the sound? It's so nice not to have to crank things to hear them.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »

The delay times are different and I only have one band delayed. I don't understand why both hi and lows are delayed.

Very often the mains need to be delayed to match up with the subs-hence the additional alignment.

Not every case needs additional delay-and of course different setups will require different delays.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »

Very often the mains need to be delayed to match up with the subs-hence the additional alignment.

Not every case needs additional delay-and of course different setups will require different delays.

I didn't think the lo delay was to match the subs. If that's the case then that explains the hi delay.
I didn't think you would have known where he was placing the subs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »

I didn't think the lo delay was to match the subs. If that's the case then that explains the hi delay.
I didn't think you would have known where he was placing the subs.
The preset I sent him was for a SH96HO sitting on top of TH118s that are crossover over between them-and not having the subs on an aux.

If the subs or tops physically move or the crossover point on either the subs or tops change-then the delay would change.  Either longer or shorter.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »

If the subs or tops physically move or the crossover point on either the subs or tops change-then the delay would change.  Either longer or shorter.

That's the tricky part. I really need to get a Smaart type system.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »

That's the tricky part. I really need to get a Smaart type system.
Getting a measurement system is the EASY part.

THe "tricky" part is learning what it is telling you, and what to do about it-IF you can. Even more important is knowing what you CAN'T do anything about.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:11 PM »

Dear Merlijn van Veen

Welcome to the world of imperial measurements. Normally it's us who get stuck with the metric stuff. I get where your coming from but chuckled a little while thinking finally someone gets stuck in the other side of the pond with standard sizes. Most of the speaker manufacturers I use here in the U.S. use metric threaded hardware.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

Dear Merlijn van Veen

Welcome to the world of imperial measurements. Normally it's us who get stuck with the metric stuff. I get where your coming from but chuckled a little while thinking finally someone gets stuck in the other side of the pond with standard sizes. Most of the speaker manufacturers I use here in the U.S. use metric threaded hardware.

OT -- I, for one, would much rather have metric hardware to deal with than imperial hardware.  I've been known to replace SAE nut and bolt assemblies with metric versions so I don't have to carry two sets of tools and spare fasteners. M6, M8, and M10 makes things pretty easy.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.