ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath: dLive Series  (Read 48873 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: New Allen & Heath: dLive Series
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 02:43:50 AM »

This is exceptional in terms of latency, however, we are in real danger of getting into semantics.  IMHO anything sub 5ms is workable, and most quoting sub 2ms is not an issue.  Channel count is now also getting to extreme levels in that the vast majority of top level pro shows are still less than 48 channels.  The guys that do the grammy awards ceremony reckon that they use 180 in total and that includes multiple bands, announcements/presenters, surround for broadcast, video audio feeds.

Elegance of interface, having the right tools available to cover the job, contextual information layout are still where even the latest boards seem to still have issues.  Live mixing is still a very fluid environment and speed of use/simplicity is what we should be aiming for.

My $0.02c worth! ;)

Latency, even in the sub 5ms range, can be a real consideration for running in ear monitors. Also, console latency isn't to be considered just on its own. Digital consoles are often used alongside other digital gear with its own latency, like digital wireless microphone systems (Shure ULX-D lists 2.9ms latency), plugin processing, and network audio transmission. Starting with low console latency helps to keep total point to point latency down in complex systems.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »

We are at .58  so still pretty good, and you guys are right , with latency this low, its all pretty mute point

*moot

[sorry, couldn't help it]

:)

Mikael Holm

• Classic LAB
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »

Peter, Yes, we will have a "Letter Box Adaptor" that will allow you to install a standard ACE card into one of the 5 card slots and do a digital split to an existing iLive, in fact you can do the digital split via any of the current I/O card setups.

If you have (2) dLive systems, then you will be able to share the 128 channels between systems with digital gain tracking

So there is no gain tracking if i do split between dLive and iLive (i have iDR-48 + T112).

With the software development on iLive frozen couple years ago i have been looking at other options and will still be.

Alex Donkle

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »

No its not.  Processing is in the rack so it uses audio and full control down the cat5. It has so many inputs AH developed Giga-ACE. Giga ACE is not compatible with the old ACE or Dsnake.

One of my only disappointments with the dLive is that they haven't joined the Yamaha and Avid stagebox styles of using IP-based signals for stageboxes, instead they're sticking with point-to-point cabling like ACE. Likely not a major concern for tours, but for large installs this scheme isn't nearly as convenient.
Consultant

Peter Morris

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »

One of my only disappointments with the dLive is that they haven't joined the Yamaha and Avid stagebox styles of using IP-based signals for stageboxes, instead they're sticking with point-to-point cabling like ACE. Likely not a major concern for tours, but for large installs this scheme isn't nearly as convenient.

Peter Morris

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 05:31:27 AM »

No its not.  Processing is in the rack so it uses audio and full control down the cat5. It has so many inputs AH developed Giga-ACE. Giga ACE is not compatible with the old ACE or Dsnake.

The d-live is a serious Pro desk targeted way above the Qu / GLD range.

I should add to this that you can fit an ACE card to the dLive and an ACE card to the GLD. I assume you can then transfer audio.

There are other options for the dLive and GLD ... Dante, Madi, Ethersound.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »

I love this board already.  Sadly i have seen no mention of their version of midas pop groups. I wonder if they will have anything similar in the dlive? Also for as cool as this board will be im sure nothing will change much.. all the touring guys will still use a midas, avid or digico. I never see acts come through with A&H :(
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Peter Morris

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 06:21:30 AM »

I love this board already.  Sadly i have seen no mention of their version of midas pop groups. I wonder if they will have anything similar in the dlive? Also for as cool as this board will be im sure nothing will change much.. all the touring guys will still use a midas, avid or digico. I never see acts come through with A&H :(

Yes it will have spill or pop groups. As I understand you do see iLives in Europe but not much in the US.

Allen and Heath make reliable good sounding consoles. They have put a huge amount of R&D into the dLive. Something like 40 Engineers and 25 man years of work!

I had a quick play with the dLive while in Thailand recently, and I own a Midas Pro2 … the dLive is the next level up. Its so powerful and so nice to use I suspect the rider thing will change.

AVID's S6L will probably become the number 1 large touring console, but I expect the dLive will win a lot of friends especially in the more price-conscious mid-level market.

S6L and dLive - best in show (consoles) Infocomm  http://www.mixonline.com/news/news-articles/newbay-infocomm-best-show-winners/424846
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:43:59 AM by Peter Morris »

Ted Christensen

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »

Yes it will have spill or pop groups. As I understand you do see iLives in Europe but not much in the US.

Allen and Heath make reliable good sounding consoles. They have put a huge amount of R&D into the dLive. Something like 40 Engineers and 25 man years of work!

I had a quick play with the dLive while in Thailand recently, and I own a Midas Pro2 … the dLive is the next level up. Its so powerful and so nice to use I suspect the rider thing will change.

AVID's S6L will probably become the number 1 large touring console, but I expect the dLive will win a lot of friends especially in the more price-conscious mid-level market.

S6L and dLive - best in show (consoles) Infocomm  http://www.mixonline.com/news/news-articles/newbay-infocomm-best-show-winners/424846

That's good to know. Im aware allen and heath is huge in other countrys. It just never caught on over here (yet). I wonder if A&H will have some sort of trade in offer for old ilives to upgrade to a dlive.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »

I had a good time playing with it myself, it's quite a lot of desk for it's price!
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.