ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I add another sub to this amp?  (Read 10513 times)

Justin Smith

Can I add another sub to this amp?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:19:02 AM »

I currently have a Behringer EP2000 amp running two Behringer VP1800s. Each sub is 8 ohms and 400 watts RMS and I have one connected to each channel. The dip switches on the amp is on parallel mode and bridge mode off. Would I be able to connect a third of the same sub to this amp and how would I connect it? If not, would I be able to connect all three to a Behringer EP4000? The specs for the EP2000 amp are:

8 Ohms: 400W
4 Ohms: 750W
2 Ohms: 1000W
8 Ohms Bridged: 1500W
4 Ohms Bridged: 2000W

The specs for the EP4000 amp are:

8 Ohms: 750W
4 Ohms: 1400W
2 Ohms: 2000W
8 Ohms Bridged: 2800W
4 Ohms Bridged: 4000W

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Can I add another sub to this amp?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:02:04 AM »

I currently have a Behringer EP2000 amp running two Behringer VP1800s. Each sub is 8 ohms and 400 watts RMS and I have one connected to each channel. The dip switches on the amp is on parallel mode and bridge mode off. Would I be able to connect a third of the same sub to this amp and how would I connect it? If not, would I be able to connect all three to a Behringer EP4000? The specs for the EP2000 amp are:

8 Ohms: 400W
4 Ohms: 750W
2 Ohms: 1000W
8 Ohms Bridged: 1500W
4 Ohms Bridged: 2000W

The specs for the EP4000 amp are:

8 Ohms: 750W
4 Ohms: 1400W
2 Ohms: 2000W
8 Ohms Bridged: 2800W
4 Ohms Bridged: 4000W

The only sensible way to do it is to buy them in pairs.  That will give you 700w to each sub run in stereo mode on the amp with the speakers in parallel. 

A third sub is also not going to give you much, two more just a little over 3db.

This is the problem with starting with a sub that lacks performance like the VP1800, You have two subs and an amp at $800 retail.  Now you want to add $600 more plus cables so you are darn close to $1500 in a carpet covered box made out pressboard and stapled together.

For $1500 you could have two used JBL PRX618's, an entire different class of product.  For 2k you can have two QSC kw181's Just about the best decent professional entry level sub (Some people also adore the PRX718xlf and the EV ETX18SP, all in same class and price).

See how what looks like an inexpensive start can lead you to a dead end road.

Sorry to be the messenger.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justin Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:59:51 AM »

The only sensible way to do it is to buy them in pairs.  That will give you 700w to each sub run in stereo mode on the amp with the speakers in parallel. 

A third sub is also not going to give you much, two more just a little over 3db.

This is the problem with starting with a sub that lacks performance like the VP1800, You have two subs and an amp at $800 retail.  Now you want to add $600 more plus cables so you are darn close to $1500 in a carpet covered box made out pressboard and stapled together.

For $1500 you could have two used JBL PRX618's, an entire different class of product.  For 2k you can have two QSC kw181's Just about the best decent professional entry level sub (Some people also adore the PRX718xlf and the EV ETX18SP, all in same class and price).

Yeah, I get that. I'm just asking if it is possible and the best way to connect it if it is. I'm not asking about other equipment in this thread or that my equipment isn't the best, just want to know information from the original post. Thanks for the advice though.

Justin Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 04:07:53 AM »

I should have specified, if I decide to go with these subs still, I will be getting a pair but I won't be buying them or another amp if needed all together. So I was basically asking if I can run one more of those subs off of my existing amp until I get the rest of the equipment.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:40 AM »

Whilst what Scott says is 100% correct and is good advice, you are now in the situation where you have this equipment and want to use it.

At the moment (if I read correctly) you have one 8 ohm VP1800 connected to each side of an EP2000.  This will give you 400 watts into each speaker.

If you add a third VP1800 in parallel connected to one side of the amp, that side of the amp will now see a 4 ohm load and will (theoretically) give you 750 watts shared between the two speakers so yes, you can do it and if you want to get a fourth VP1800 later you can connect it to the other side of the amp and run four.  However, the EP4000 would be a better match.  In fact, an EP4000 with the two subs you have will probably give you a bit more than adding a third sub to the EP2500.  The usual recommendation for amp power is to supply 1.5 to 2 times the speaker's rated power. 

What are you using for crossover/speaker protection?

Steve
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:11:55 AM by Steve M Smith »

Justin Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »

Whilst what Scott says is 100% correct and is good advice, you are now in the situation where you have this equipment and want to use it.

At the moment (if I read correctly) you have one 8 ohm VP1800 connected to each side of an EP2000.  This will give you 400 watts into each speaker.

If you add a third VP1800 in parallel connected to one side of the amp, that side of the amp will now see a 4 ohm load and will (theoretically) give you 750 watts shared between the two speakers so yes, you can do it and if you want to get a fourth VP1800 later you can connect it to the other side of the amp and run four.  However, the EP4000 would be a better match.  In fact, an EP4000 with the two subs you have will probably give you a bit more than adding a third sub to the EP2500.  The usual recommendation for amp power is to supply 1.5 to 2 times the speaker's rated power. 

What are you using for crossover/speaker protection?

Steve

So technically I would be underpowering the subs at that point and wouldn't get the full effect of adding a third sub? I usually do follow that rule of thumb but I am just trying to figure out possibilities until I can get another amp and a fourth sub. I have a gig this weekend and was just seeing if I could slip in another sub before then to help with a little more bass, if any. I am using a Behringer crossover.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »

I have a gig this weekend and was just seeing if I could slip in another sub before then to help with a little more bass

There's certainly no harm in trying it.  It would mean that one side of the amp is providing about half power whilst the side with the two subs connected will be fully loaded.

It's not a normal way of doing things as people like to keep things symmetrical (at least - I do!) but the amp will be fine doing it.

Steve.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »

You will be fine connecting 2 subs to one side of the amp.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Justin Smith

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »

There's certainly no harm in trying it.  It would mean that one side of the amp is providing about half power whilst the side with the two subs connected will be fully loaded.

It's not a normal way of doing things as people like to keep things symmetrical (at least - I do!) but the amp will be fine doing it.

Steve.

Ok. Thank you! Yeah, I do want to keep it symmetrical but like I said, just wanted to squeeze something in for this weekend.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »

There is no technical reason to keep equal loads on both sides of the amp - it's just what is normally done as most people run stereo with the same on both sides.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.