ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinkering Project - Small active cabs  (Read 4828 times)

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
Tinkering Project - Small active cabs
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »

I'm in need of a tinkering project, so I thought I'd turn my hands to building a few small (as small as I can manage, usefully) active cabinets. If they actually work well, I'll probably used them for some reinforcement during presentations, playing music around the house, and annoying the people in the next hotel room while I'm traveling.

This is mostly for fun, so I don't want to spend a ton, but I'd like to manage something that actually works as a speaker when I'm done. Ideally, I'd like the finished product to be no larger than a ream of paper cut in half (either way). I realize that may be difficult (or impossible) since I'll have to settle for building the cabinet from wood, but it's my aiming point.

So, I need to find some sources:
  • Where can I find a relatively simple explanation of acoustic cabinet design? I know this is a complex topic, but I'm okay with a shortcut, over-simplified overview for this first cut.
  • Where should I look for some tiny low-cost amplifiers and speakers. I'm thinking a single mid-range will do for this, unless someone has other ideas.

Any other input would also be appreciated, especially if it makes me laugh.

(As an aside, I'm also going to look for some cheapo plastic speakers and try to upgrade them internally, just to see what mess I can make. Probably will look for similar parts for both projects.)
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Scott Helmke

Re: Tinkering Project - Small active cabs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »

Parts Express is a big supplier for DIY speaker builders - they've got drivers, plate amps, etc. They even showcase projects by their customers.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »

+1 to parts express.  A good source for tinkering.   I'm making a beach boom box with parts from there right now.  A little 12v battery, couple of full range speakers, a small 20 watt amp and a Bluetooth receiver. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »

I can certainly appreciate the desire to DYI and the sense of satisfaction when you're finished.  But, have you heard the Bose Soundlink Portable Bluetooth speaker?  It's $299, which isn't chump change, but it sounds better than anything that size that I've ever heard.  It also has about a 10hr battery.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

Scott I haven't.... This is more an exercise in woodworking skills for me....  If/when I crash and burn I'm sure I will start looking at a consumer option. 

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »

Scott I haven't.... This is more an exercise in woodworking skills for me....  If/when I crash and burn I'm sure I will start looking at a consumer option. 

While I am usually unhappy when DIY stuff is provided for me in a professional setting, I see nothing wrong with DIY stuff for your own use.

Also, I had never tried to build speakers, I did spend a long time in my 20's doing fine cabinetry (Think New yankee workshop type stuff) and building furniture. Doing small things like boxes, small drawers, cutting boards, etc. was considered great practice for joinery and finishing and a way of using shop scraps for something useful.

I am using Equator D5's as computer monitors. I think a smaller coaxial box showing wood grain, nice joinery (finger joints or dovetails) would be a nice project that depending on wood choice that would be unique as well.
Jay Barracato

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »

While I am usually unhappy when DIY stuff is provided for me in a professional setting, I see nothing wrong with DIY stuff for your own use.

Also, I had never tried to build speakers, I did spend a long time in my 20's doing fine cabinetry (Think New yankee workshop type stuff) and building furniture. Doing small things like boxes, small drawers, cutting boards, etc. was considered great practice for joinery and finishing and a way of using shop scraps for something useful.

I am using Equator D5's as computer monitors. I think a smaller coaxial box showing wood grain, nice joinery (finger joints or dovetails) would be a nice project that depending on wood choice that would be unique as well.

Agreed - never in a professional setting....

Small coaxial boxes - yeah, on my to do list, unfortunately I know nothing about crossover design, I know there are software programs and such...  We shall see.  I'll have to get through my wife's todo list first. 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »

Half the size of a ream (500 sheets), or half the size of a ream case (5000 sheets)?  A ream is only about 2" (50 mm) thick....  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »

Half the size of a ream (500 sheets), or half the size of a ream case (5000 sheets)?  A ream is only about 2" (50 mm) thick....  Mark C.

A ream. But not cut to be thinner (250 sheets). Rather, cut in either of the other dimensions. I know it's unlikely I'll actually manage to limit it to the thickness of a ream - not that I won't try, but it just seems unlikely.
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »

I can certainly appreciate the desire to DYI and the sense of satisfaction when you're finished.  But, have you heard the Bose Soundlink Portable Bluetooth speaker?  It's $299, which isn't chump change, but it sounds better than anything that size that I've ever heard.  It also has about a 10hr battery.

I have not heard them, but great sound fidelity isn't really on my list of needs. I'd like it to sound okay, but I'm just looking to be able to enjoy some music, and if it looks great (and sounds okay for spoken word) I might pull it out sometimes when I'm speaking to smaller groups. I've done a fair amount of small woodworking, and have made some nice looking pieces, so I know I can make the final product look good, if a bit unusual.

As for purchasing, if I were spending anything like that, I'd probably get IK Multimedia's iLoud, instead. It's likely able to produce more volume (though I doubt their claimed SPL) and is probably better for directionality (important since I'd be using a mic around it).
Gerry Seymour

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.