ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a PA system  (Read 25989 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: I need a PA system
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »

Is there a thread here that explains digital to newbies?

There really isn't much mystery. As it was said before the processing is all being done in the same unit so there is no cabling. There is usually the option for more processing per channel. But it just comes down to signal flow.

Think of an analog boards channel. The signal comes in and goes to a pre amp. Then you have the insert where you can place things likes gates or compressors. On the analog board you plug in a separate unit and set up your settings on the outboard unit.

On a digital board the outboard is already in place and if you want it you just turn it on.

Other signal processing you split off a copy of a portion of the signal like for effects or monitors. These are the auxes on an analog board. On digital they are separate buses. Once again they are in place and you turn them on if you need them.

Finally some signal processing is done in line with the signal like eq or crossovers. On an analog board these are daisy chained onto an output jack. On digital they are in place before the jack. Once again turn them on if needed.

Once upon a time people made a big deal about the analog digital conversions that happens in digital at the beginning and end of the chain. I have not found that to be meaningful when comparing any professional quality board made in the last 5+ years.

So basically the digital board does many functions in one unit. It definitely gives you more flexibility when dealing with problems at shows but you basically need to understand what those tools do ( whether the analog or digital versions) to be able to put them to use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »

I have no idea what most of that means. And by "most", I mean everything after your first sentence.

It doesn't mean anything to your basic question because we are talking about digital mixers not digital audio distribution schemes.

Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »

I have no idea what most of that means. And by "most", I mean everything after your first sentence.

Likely PWI...

For starters regarding digital you can open a PDF of the user manual and read through it.  The only thing is that in the digital era the manuals can be a tad sketchy since the product can add/change features with software updates and it doesn't pay to go into depth in the manuals.

But the processes are the same:

Set input gain, solo channels, apply EQ/processing, etc, etc, etc.  you just do it all with a single set of controls and SELECT the channel/bus/mix on which you want to work.  An hour with the manual and the mixer and you'll be fine.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »

I feel like I gave said this before but I know a huge number of bands that bounce between small provide your own rig gigs and larger events. I also like to do smaller intimate events.

At this level, the skill of the operator makes a far greater difference then the specific equipment.

Knowing that for some percentage of the gigs sound will be provided (larger venues with installed systems or festivals etc.), I would plan on my rig covering about 75% of the gigs we are going to book. The remaining 25% I would make sure the budget will allow me to hire a company with appropriate equipment and the staff to run it.

So to me that means:
4-6 12 inch powered speakers. 2 for mains and 2-4 for monitors. Buying all the same means they can be swapped out as needed. I would buy from the upper level of MI offerings. Take your choice of the qsc, Yamaha, jbl, rcf, etc. offerings.

2-4 18 inch subs. I would purchase the same line as the tops to have a complete system.

I would put the bulk of my money into mics and speakers. They make the biggest difference to your final sound.

Add a mixwiz and a couple of dbx eq's plus someone who cares about what they are doing and you will be prepared to blow away what 95% of the bands or even small providers put up in bars, tent events, patio gigs etc. around here.

For example at a recent walkup event for me working as a band tech, the provider had a single vrx over sub per side with mrx monitors run by a behringer x32. This was for an audience of 150-200 tightly packed on a lawn. The further audience member was maybe 60 feet from the stage platform. It was a perfect example of decent equipment improperly deployed that I had to fight the rig the entire show to get to just OK.

Jay Barracato

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »

For example at a recent walkup event for me working as a band tech, the provider had a single vrx over sub per side with mrx monitors run by a behringer x32. This was for an audience of 150-200 tightly packed on a lawn. The further audience member was maybe 60 feet from the stage platform. It was a perfect example of decent equipment improperly deployed that I had to fight the rig the entire show to get to just OK.

*one* VRX top per side? Yeah, been there, done that, and not something I would want to repeat...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »

It doesn't mean anything to your basic question because we are talking about digital mixers not digital audio distribution schemes.

And digital snakes are part of digital mixers.. in fact many are requiring them as the DSP is in some of them and the board is just a control surface.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »

And digital snakes are part of digital mixers.. in fact many are requiring them as the DSP is in some of them and the board is just a control surface.

RM/PL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »

The 1608 requires no router and you can probably find a deal on one new or used.

That's actually not true.  It doesn't need a router per se but most people use that term generically to discuss Wireless Access Points (WAP's) or sometimes even switches.  If you use a router as a WAP it will also have DHCP functionality, the ability to automatically assign IP addresses to devices on the network.  This is handy as digital mixers become more popular the band members want to control their monitor mix (especially IEM users) with an app.

We also have had massive thread creep.  The original budget was 2500.  I stand by my original statement that needs to be stretched a bit.  A Mackie DL-1608 is the right fit.  You could use the $2500 credit for good subs and tops then maybe go to American Musical that has 90 days same as cash if you have a valid credit card in your name.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:52:48 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2014, 03:45:52 AM »

Is there a thread here that explains digital to newbies?

Not sure but there are some great tutorials on YouTube.

If you already know your way around an analogue mixer, just approach a digital mixer with an attitude that you can do it and you should be o.k.

They are designed for people who are used to analogue so there are no secret tricks you need to learn to get sound out of them.

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 04:32:26 AM »

That's actually not true.  It doesn't need a router per se but most people use that term generically to discuss Wireless Access Points (WAP's) or sometimes even switches.  If you use a router as a WAP it will also have DHCP functionality, the ability to automatically assign IP addresses to devices on the network.  This is handy as digital mixers become more popular the band members want to control their monitor mix (especially IEM users) with an app.

We also have had massive thread creep.  The original budget was 2500.  I stand by my original statement that needs to be stretched a bit.  A Mackie DL-1608 is the right fit.  You could use the $2500 credit for good subs and tops then maybe go to American Musical that has 90 days same as cash if you have a valid credit card in your name.

It's true and it's not.

You CAN use the 1608 with the iPad docked WITHOUT a router.  If you want to go wireless, you add a router.  So you can save the cost of the router initially, then pick one up when you want or you have the cash.

Oh for the days of "no interest for balance transfers" credit cards.  I bought $35K worth of gear  on my credit card, then switched the balance to a new card with the "no interest...." offer and paid not a cent of interest for the 3.5 years it took to pay off the balance.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 04:32:26 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.