ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use this type of liftgate?  (Read 13068 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Anyone use this type of liftgate?
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »

Anyone have used (or is using) this type of liftgate?

This looks remarkably streamlined and simple to use; not sure if there are hidden issues.  The 1300 lb. capacity is appealing.

http://www.tommygate.com/liftgates/cargo-van/cantilever-series/

...there's an embedded video further down in that web page.

I have an identical van to the one used in the video.  My van can carry about 100% of what I would need for a gig; anything  remaining is sometimes pulled in a trailer (if two trips can't be done).  Some time ago, I was a looking at an enclosed trailer (and still am), but if this type of liftgate works the way they show it to work, I may end up just getting a lift gate.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Anyone use this type of liftgate?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »

This looks remarkably streamlined and simple to use; not sure if there are hidden issues.  The 1300 lb. capacity is appealing.

I have an identical van to the one used in the video.  My van can carry about 100% of what I would need for a gig; anything  remaining is sometimes pulled in a trailer (if two trips can't be done).  Some time ago, I was a looking at an enclosed trailer (and still am), but if this type of liftgate works the way they show it to work, I may end up just getting a lift gate.

What do you think?

Thanks.

I see a large number of Tommy Gates being used in and around Boston and anyone you ask will tell you they work great and have few if any problems with them. The lift you reference is fairly new, but I have seen a number of them on handicap vans and on small delivery vans. I haven't spoken to anyone about those particular lifts, but if the quality is a good as the rest of the Tommy Gate line I wouldn't hesitate if I had the need.

By the way, a fully rigged Tommy Gate will run over $2K. You can buy one hell of a trailer for that much money.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:19:20 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:11:14 AM »

What do you think?

Thanks.

A quick look around didn't give up the secret of the weight.  Whatever the lift weighs is load capacity you lose.  May or may not be an issue for you, but thought it worth mentioning.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

For sure on the weight.  I'm already over the working capacity of the van (3/4 ton); I didn't see any weight on the lift either.  The older (aka original) style of lift gates for vans was around 300 lbs; that's a bit much to sacrifice; was hoping for less weight with this new style.   And for the cost, that is a concern.  If those are close to the cost of a trailer, I will lean toward a trailer (with all the bells/whistles).  Looking at the video again, looks like I would lose my towing capability due to how the liftgate attaches.  hmmm....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:40:02 AM by Robert Weston »

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:47 AM »

What do you think?

Thanks.

They are a very reputable company. They've been doing this for a long time. If they publish specs I would expect the product to live up to them. If it fits your needs go for it. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

David Parker

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

For sure on the weight.  I'm already over the working capacity of the van (3/4 ton); I didn't see any weight on the lift either.  The older (aka original) style of lift gates for vans was around 300 lbs; that's a bit much to sacrifice; was hoping for less weight with this new style.   And for the cost, that is a concern.  If those are close to the cost of a trailer, I will lean toward a trailer (with all the bells/whistles).  Looking at the video again, looks like I would lose my towing capability due to how the liftgate attaches.  hmmm....
I'm not sure about your van, but the "3/4 ton" rating is nominal. Yours might be rated for more. My pickup is called 3/4 ton, but if you look at the GVW (on the door inside the jamb) it is rated at 8700 pounds. The truck weighs  5200 pounds, so the actual capacity is 2500 pounds. other 3/4 tons models of the same brand can have much less GVW. I had a 3/4 ton van years ago that had 5 lug wheels. It was a light duty 3/4 ton and had  a much lower capacity than the models that had 8 lug wheels.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:46 AM »

What do you think?

Thanks.

FWIW. I would rather use a ramp than a lift gate. For me, lift gates are too slow and have too many moving parts that can break. Not to mention the battery thing.

Rick Alan

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »

Have you looked into just getting a portable ramp?  1/10 the price and can still afford a very nice trailer.

David Parker

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »

FWIW. I would rather use a ramp than a lift gate. For me, lift gates are too slow and have too many moving parts that can break. Not to mention the battery thing.
I've been using this ramp for several years and it works great, and I'm loading into the back of a pickup, a LOT higher than the back door of a van.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html#.UyGuBvldU2I

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »

Depending on the trailer the ramp can also be used at the trailer as needed. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.