ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HK Audio Elements Series???  (Read 11248 times)

Paul Drenth

HK Audio Elements Series???
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:35 AM »

Has anyone heard or used the HK Audio Elements speakers? http://hkaudio.us/products.php?sid=15

I've been asked to attend a demo this week and I've never even heard of these guys. Everything about them screams "Guitar Center".

Looking for any input: good bad or ugly.

Thanks

Taylor Hall

Re: HK Audio Elements Series???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »

Looks like an L1 copycat
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Paul Drenth

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »

Looks like an L1 copycat

Sure does!

So far the feedback isn't exactly overwhelming. I'd venture a guess that almost nobody else has heard of this "pro German company that has been a force in pro audio for 20 years..."

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »

They're certainly well known over here (UK).  The Linear L5 series is most commonly seen.

http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=400

Steve.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:01:13 PM by Steve M Smith »

Guy Graham

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »

Sure does!

So far the feedback isn't exactly overwhelming. I'd venture a guess that almost nobody else has heard of this "pro German company that has been a force in pro audio for 20 years..."
Actually HK are pretty common in the UK, and I expect since their German they are all over Europe too.

They do seem to make a broad range of kit across many price points. The boxes I heard were all decent, but they were just regular tops & subs. I haven't heard any tall skinny box of theirs yet, but there was one reviewed in Sound on Sound sometime last year I recall - it got a great write up, but the only detail I remember clearly was that the top box amps were in the subs, which seems to be the case with a lot of HK gear.

Here's an earlier review from a respected writer:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/hk-elements.htm

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »

If anyone follows the PA of the Day page on Facebook, the most recent posting was HK Audio,

https://www.facebook.com/PAotD/photos/a.173817121282.132706.173813726282/10151919250931283/?type=1&theater

Steve.

Paul Drenth

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »

The SOS article was helpful. Thanks.

In my situation, I would need some vertical variance between tops, similar to the K-Array KR402's. It doesn't look like they have that ability.

What has me second guessing them is that they're being rep'd by Korg and were "a big hit at NAMM"; Not at Infocomm... Also, their documentation and "specs" stink. There isn't any usable data presented in there, nor can I find any information on what drivers they use, who's amps, etc...

Tom Meyer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »

The SOS article was helpful. Thanks.

In my situation, I would need some vertical variance between tops, similar to the K-Array KR402's. It doesn't look like they have that ability.

What has me second guessing them is that they're being rep'd by Korg and were "a big hit at NAMM"; Not at Infocomm... Also, their documentation and "specs" stink. There isn't any usable data presented in there, nor can I find any information on what drivers they use, who's amps, etc...

You should check out Fohhn LX150 with XS22 subs, they easyly cover 300 people. ( not hard rock)  see their web site: www.fohhn.com

Tom

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »

Actually HK are pretty common in the UK, and I expect since their German they are all over Europe too.

They do seem to make a broad range of kit across many price points. The boxes I heard were all decent, but they were just regular tops & subs. I haven't heard any tall skinny box of theirs yet, but there was one reviewed in Sound on Sound sometime last year I recall - it got a great write up, but the only detail I remember clearly was that the top box amps were in the subs, which seems to be the case with a lot of HK gear.

Here's an earlier review from a respected writer:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/hk-elements.htm

Have you ever seen a (cough) "review" in SOS or the like which was not basically "peripheral advertising"?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Guy Graham

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »

Have you ever seen a (cough) "review" in SOS or the like which was not basically "peripheral advertising"?
I would say absolutely - yes!

The news section at the start of magazine does seem to have a lot of material lifted straight from press releases admittedly. However whilst the reviews do usually have a generally positive tone, and it's rare to see a review that outright dumps on a poor product - the most senior reviewers such as Paul White and especially Hugh Robjohns go into plenty of technical detail and give lots of comprehensive information about feature sets, functionality and so forth.

Being familiar with each reviewer helps, but regardless of that I think the reviews are more than sufficiently thorough to be of genuine help to anyone with an interest in the product concerned, giving the prospective customer a lot of detailed information.

I do sometimes think the studio orientation of the magazine leads to live sound product reviews containing too much basic info about prospective use of products and interpretation of basic specs from the manufacturer. However there is also technical detail provided that no other English language publication offers. For example last year Hugh Robjohns extensively tested the replacement for the Behringer ADA8000 and whilst his tone credited the unit with the value for money it offered, his measurements and comparison with it's predecessor left no room for imagination in terms of the poor performance in comparison with alternative, albeit pricier kit with the same functionality.

When it comes to studio kit he is usually far less generous with any specific praise, and I don't know where else you would get such detailed and in-depth reviews, nor the technical info and measurement which is presented in a way that neither patronises the reader, nor assumes too much prior knowledge.

I will concede I find some of the reviews of kit such as cheap powered speakers, MI grade small analogue mixers etc fail to really evaluate the products in the context of their market. But as they review 3 live sound items max per month I think many reviewers just don't properly know that area of the market. I do wish they would review more upmarket products - last year the new SSL Live digital desk was reviewed, but generally stuff like the Soundcraft Expression or A&H Qu desk is about as far up the food chain it gets. Nevertheless compared to publications like Future Music or Music Tech Monthly these products are at least properly reviewed in their context as live kit, rather than just as adjuncts to the studio focus of all these magazines.

Such failings are more than made up for with the depth and detail the best writers go into when providing a very thorough write up of products such as the X32 family. For instance the current issue only has 1 live sound review; a comprehensive look at the X32 Rack and Core, following previous comprehensive reviews of the original and Compact in earlier issues. To get any more coverage you'd have to start reading online discussions such as the mega thread over on the other place.

Where SOS really excels for me is in the detailed technical articles, such as Hugh Robjohns' excellent response to Bob Katz proclamation that the "loudness wars" are over. He gives technical yet accessible explanations of ITU-R BS.1770 and the EBU equivalent. There is lots of useful information about both where and how these various standards are implemented, as well as all the implications for everyone from basic project studio tinkerer to mastering engineer to broadcast and production professionals. Whilst for me personally it does not have current implications beyond my own curiosity, I now have a comprehensive reference source on this subject. What's more, just like their reviews and other material - after a few months this handy resource will be available online for free.

In summary then I certainly do not consider much content in Sound On Sound to be "peripheral advertising" - in fact quite the contrary. However there are lessor competitor publications that I think could be characterised as such.

I also enjoy reading the UK guitar magazines, where your assertion is pretty accurate to a degree - virtually every review scores high (SOS avoid this issue by not scoring their reviews) and a ridiculous number receive some sort of gold/platinum/recommended plaudit - however familiarity with the writing allows the careful reader to discern a more nuanced opinion, hence even in those cases the characterisation of "peripheral advertising" is not so damning as to render the material worthless, though I could easily see why some would assume that to be the case.

Whatever you think of Sound On Sound, I would ask where else would you suggest someone looking to read about the subject matter it covers goes?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.