ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Playback Devices  (Read 12632 times)

Rodney Harris

Multiple Playback Devices
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:14:43 AM »

Hey guys, at my church we have multiple playback devices...ipod, DVD, CD, iMac, & Apple streaming.  This arrangement takes up 6 channels on the M7CL.  What are you using and how are you doing it?!!  Do you use a sub mixer and take up 2 ch's on the board?

Brian Rodgers

Re: Multiple Playback Devices
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »

At my church we use a sub mixer for multiple devices. It works great because we can have up to 6 devices playing audio and it only uses two channels on the main board.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »

Hey guys, at my church we have multiple playback devices...ipod, DVD, CD, iMac, & Apple streaming.  This arrangement takes up 6 channels on the M7CL.  What are you using and how are you doing it?!!  Do you use a sub mixer and take up 2 ch's on the board?

Do you need the 4 channels you'd get back from sub mixing?  if so, then yeah, get a cheap little line mixer and submix it.  Otherwise, don't sweat it.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »

We're similar, with iPod, CD, PC, DVD, and playback of audio files from a USB stick in the console (5 stereo sources total). The one "submix" we do is combining the DVD and PC audio with our Kramer video switcher/scaler, for the convenience of only having one set of inputs coming from video world.

Our console (A&H GLD) has 4 line-level inputs and 2 stereo processing channels so we wind up using all of those plus 2 preamps and 4 mono processing channels. Total of 6 faders on the console.

Why would you consider submixing? Do you need the extra inputs?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »

With the x32 I setup at a church I help at they use all 6 of the 1/4in aux inputs for stereo sources(CD, tape, and iPod(1/8in) cable). I ended up assigning them all to the same DCA as they aren't used at the same time for the most part. Any time a CD/tape/iPod needs to be used all the operator has to do is bring up DCA 1; the faders for the sources are left at unity(unless more than one source needs to be used, in that case the DCA(s) have to be un/reassigned).

Rodney Harris

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »

At my church we use a sub mixer for multiple devices. It works great because we can have up to 6 devices playing audio and it only uses two channels on the main board.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

What mixer do you use to sub mix? I was looking at the Samson SM10 line mixer.  We have 48ch's ...and have about 5 free channels....I was just looking to free up some faders.  The playbacks never run simultaneously, so in effect, we only need two channels, left and right

Kent Thompson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »

Why not use an audio switch and punch the button of the playback device you want to use.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Why not use an audio switch and punch the button of the playback device you want to use.

Yes, assuming all the  output levels are in the same ballpark.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »

What mixer do you use to sub mix?

Shure SCM262 is my go to device for this application. Update the circuit of the first two "mic" inputs to accept line level sources and eliminate the HP filter per Shure's instructions and then those work great for pre-recorded backing with music in one channel and vocals in the other. The unit has inputs for three other stereo sources. Nice examples can be bought all day long for $75 or less to your door, I know of no other unit that can support this functionality with anywhere near the same kind of sonic performance for the dollars.

Rodney Harris

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »

Good idea except I have a team of volunteers....they forget the simplest of things.  They sit and stare at the board when they play a track and forget to bring up the DCA.  Having them to have to remember to punch one more thing in order to hear the playback, well is just adding one more thing to check (or go wrong).

I am trying to simplify the playback procedure....two channels only (L & R) for all devices

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.