ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX Line Array  (Read 51100 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: VRX Line Array
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »

The VRX array is fine. I was pointing out that if your using it and need to splay it differently, your already using the wrong array. Add in the adjusters and your really in the wrong field.....

Eggsactly.

The VRX shouldn't be used as anything other than a fixed curve array. That's why JBL doesn't make angle adjustment hardware for the VRX. You want angels? Buy Vertec.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

lionel rodrigues

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »

Eggsactly.

The VRX shouldn't be used as anything other than a fixed curve array. That's why JBL doesn't make angle adjustment hardware for the VRX. You want angels? Buy Vertec.

JBL should come out with a zero angle box compatible with the vrx tops, then it's a win win for everyone.

are vrx still in production ?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »

JBL should come out with a zero angle box compatible with the vrx tops, then it's a win win for everyone.

are vrx still in production ?
Why?  I don't understand the drive to do that when many other products exist (4886) that actually work in that scenario.

VRX are still in production, and JBL is coming out with V5 presets for them, which should help clean up some pattern control things.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »

Shut up and take my money!
Did you notice that the ebay listing originally quoted sold for $350.00?? Amazing that people have tens of thousands of dollars of equipment, yet no clue on the basics of their configuration.... Oh well. *sighs*

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:39 AM »

Did you notice that the ebay listing originally quoted sold for $350.00?? Amazing that people have tens of thousands of dollars of equipment, yet no clue on the basics of their configuration.... Oh well. *sighs*

Ray

Ad a couple of zeros, maybe 3... and you can still find owners who "don't get it" when it comes to vertical arrays.  They essentially treat them as if the speakers were conventional boxes hung on their sides, with all the incorrect assumptions that go with conventional rigs.

The VRX and other constant curvature arrays are very specific tools, and they're probably the wrong tool in many of the situations they're used in.  That won't stop system owners from using them anyway and schmoozing clients with "the emperor's new PA" sell job.  Used when appropriate, you can get pretty good results for less money than a fully articulated array.  But it's still a one-trick pony.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »

Ad a couple of zeros, maybe 3... and you can still find owners who "don't get it" when it comes to vertical arrays.  They essentially treat them as if the speakers were conventional boxes hung on their sides, with all the incorrect assumptions that go with conventional rigs.

The VRX and other constant curvature arrays are very specific tools, and they're probably the wrong tool in many of the situations they're used in.  That won't stop system owners from using them anyway and schmoozing clients with "the emperor's new PA" sell job.  Used when appropriate, you can get pretty good results for less money than a fully articulated array.  But it's still a one-trick pony.
I would argue that most "pa failures" are simply because the user/ "designer" simply has no clue what they are doing-how boxes interact-what coverage patten means (YEAH MANY people get that one wrong), where to aim and so forth.

I think I have to go this next week and fix a job that the customer is very unhappy with the coverage.  We asked for some photos and it was immediately apparent that the installer simply has no clue as to how the boxes work and where to aim them.

Yeah no kidding-point the box in the wrong place and it doesn't work well -DUH!!!!!!!!!!

And now you are blaming the loudspeaker??????

The people that need "Audio 101" are the ones who would not attend such a class-because they think they know it all-and constantly blame the gear for THEIR failures and lack of knowledge.

Oh well----------------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »

I would argue that most "pa failures" are simply because the user/ "designer" simply has no clue what they are doing-how boxes interact-what coverage patten means (YEAH MANY people get that one wrong), where to aim and so forth.

The people that need "Audio 101" are the ones who would not attend such a class-because they think they know it all-and constantly blame the gear for THEIR failures and lack of knowledge.

Oh well----------------------------
I was exchanging emails with one of the esteemed members of this forum, as I am getting some I-Techs ready for my (finally!) expansion into VerTec, and I was double checking myself when loading V4 presets, that I didn't see any crossover points. As I suspected, they're locked down to prevent "smart" sysops from making "changes" to them-- as is my response to the local guy who builds all of his own speakers 'cos he can do it better,' -- I am not about to presume I can config a system better then the people at JBL.

I'll still have my VRX rig, and it will get used a bunch still-- because I won't just automatically go with the 4888s since they're my "big" rig now. And my SRX rig will still get used.

.... there was really no point to my post. Haha.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »

I was exchanging emails with one of the esteemed members of this forum, as I am getting some I-Techs ready for my (finally!) expansion into VerTec, and I was double checking myself when loading V4 presets, that I didn't see any crossover points. As I suspected, they're locked down to prevent "smart" sysops from making "changes" to them-- as is my response to the local guy who builds all of his own speakers 'cos he can do it better,' -- I am not about to presume I can config a system better then the people at JBL.

-Ray
I would ask the "local guy" to show you some measurements INCLUDING PHASE to prove he can do it better.

YES there are some very smart guys out there who can do a good job.  But in most cases-it is the guys who "think" they can do better-just using their ears.

Yes listening is VERY important and can't be dismissed-but most (if not all) of the guys I have meet that say they can do a better alignment don't use any type of tools and can't prove that they do it any better-you just have to "trust" them------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »

I'll still have my VRX rig, and it will get used a bunch still-- because I won't just automatically go with the 4888s since they're my "big" rig now. And my SRX rig will still get used.

.... there was really no point to my post. Haha.

-Ray

Actually Ray, you made the point by example. Three different rigs, each with it's own purpose to be used as required to fill a specific need or group of needs. The problem is, as already stated, not many people understand this fact of life.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »

Aside from all the coverage and interaction physics being right or wrong, isn't a box designed to only support so much weight underneath it?  I have never used a VRX but I would suspect that hanging another box from it would add more stress to the top boxes which would only be rated to hold enough to make the proper array.  As pointed out more boxes negates the tool.  Why would JBL design the enclosure for more hang such as the Vertec where you might want 4 boxes one show and 20 the next.  It seems like a waste of money to add that in to the VRX.  As I said I am unfamiliar with the rigging system so correct me if I am wrong.  I have seen many product specs that specifically say you can only array X amount underneath, I guess this is mostly point and shoot boxes though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.