ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Credit cards  (Read 5475 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Credit cards
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »

So, I have finally got some clients that would like to pay with a credit card.

What are easy, inexpensive ways to take credit cards? I am very low volume for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Credit cards
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »

Credit cards can be a PIA. If you can tolerate the fees and hate some customers have for Paypal. Customers can send money to your paypal account using credit cards securely through the paypal website.

If you want to take CC in person, maybe some mobile phone app?? I don't have any experience with those.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »

What comes to my mind is one of those Square readers and the app for an iPhone, iPad, or Android phone. I'm not sure how their rates compare to more traditional solutions though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »

What comes to my mind is one of those Square readers and the app for an iPhone, iPad, or Android phone. I'm not sure how their rates compare to more traditional solutions though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I use "Square". Same application - very low volume, one client here or there wants to do credit card. They offer either 2.75% per swipe fee, or a flat fee of $275 a month with 0% fee. The former is what I selected. I've gotten payments quickly and it works just fine in my experience. I looked into them a lot before I did it, and it seems at one point they were providing inconsistent payouts to some high volume customers. These days they say "next day deposits" on their website. Perhaps this is to address this. That said, mine were always very prompt and I know others who have used it successfully. They'll send you a free card reader, although its not worth much besides looking more legit than entering the number while the customer is watching. Despite how the show in the pictures, you really have to lay it flat on the table to work without looking foolish.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »

I have a square account that we still use from time to time. They screwed me really bad last year (held a large deposit for 60+ days and only releases it after I blasted them on twitter for three days) I hate them but use them in discover and Amex when I have too. If you swipe everything you will be fine. If you can't swipe and take over $1000 in 30 days they will hold it pretty much for as long as they wish. You can't talk on the phone you can't email you can only contact through the website and they contact within 48 hours and take at minimum 47 of it to contact you back then will request you send them something and take another 48 and if it's over the weekend Saturday and Sunday don't count they have taken two weeks to answer a question before. The same guy owns twitter so I would continue to hashtag #squaresucks #unethicalbusiness. Anyway go with intuit go payments or pay pals version but read the rules. I HATE SQUARE!! I use mobile payments plus but do a lot of transactions now it has a higher monthly fee but lower %age.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »

Paypal in advance. I don't mind the fee, and the money is there immediately.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »

Although the card companies prohibit it in their terms of service agreements many people charge a 3% fee for credit card payment.  If you can't swipe the physical card and maybe have a dodgy phone order client or think for any reason you are going to have to go to the mat with the payment processor ( the intermediaries for VISA, MC etc that actually handle the transaction ) be sure to create a 'credit card authorization ' form.  This is essentially a contract stating the amount to be charged, with blanks for the card number, name, expiration date etc and of course a line for the card holder signature and printed name.  Also require a fax or cell phone pic of both sides of the card and a picture ID.  Yea, some might whine about the security of the card image but weigh that against giving away a few grand worth of goods & services.

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »

What are easy, inexpensive ways to take credit cards? I am very low volume for now

Hi Rob
I also own a motorcycle shop. We easily receive 50% of our payments by credit card. In the 17 years since I've had the place I am on my 4th credit card processing company. You really has to watch these company's all their little hidden fees. 2.75% is generally the going rate. But the rate you'll get depends on the dollar amount of credit cards you run a month. The more you do the lower the rate. Then there's .10 a swipe fee and a different rate depending on whether it's debit or credit (debit is lower). Master Card and Visa have a lower transaction rate then American Express and Discover. Some also charge a statement fee and last is a PCI compliance fee of around $100 a year. This is a security questionnaire that you fill out stating that you will not keep the full credit card number in your machine or paper work. All that said....You get paid in 2 working days by direct deposit and most of the processing company take their percentage out the 1st week of the following month. Don't commit to any long-term deals or credit card machine lease fees.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:55:50 AM »

I use Intuit's Gopayment. Much like the "Square", it works on android and iphone/ipad. Same price as all the rest. There are no minimums so if you don't use it for a month, you don't have to pay the company. They also have an additional feature that Square (or pay-pal) does not, which is the ability to "authorize funds" prior to actually charging the card. So if you do any dry rental, you can authorize an amount greater than the cost of the rental to secure against possible damages or (!) if your gear doesn't come back. Simply "capture" the amount of the rental from the authorized funds when they bring your stuff back intact. This can only be done on the intuit merchant account website though, not through the android or iphone app.
Credit cards are expensive. I try to avoid taking them if I can.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »

There is a Boston based company called Punchey you could try.  My wife has Square and Punchey accounts for her business.  Punchey is pickier about what device you attach the reader to but has lower fees.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.