ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 140950 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Qu-16 users
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »

After years of faithful service from an Allen and Heath GL2400, finally took the plunge and went digital with a QU-16.

Also bought an Allen and Heath Zed 10 as a spare that I can take to gigs just in case I have a digital meltdown. 

My "back up" is having my voltage stable.  A Furman AR1215 for FOH is mandatory for me and has been even for analog gear for the last dozen or so years.  The money spent on stable power has paid for itself a hundred times over in heading off some serious damage due to "cowboy" power on more than a few gigs...

And even when I was using analog gear, I carried a spare desk.  So nothing new there.  The show must have gone on.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »

Mike, thanks for the advice on the case.  I'm still trying to work out what to do for a case for the QU-16.  I don't want a full flight case (as I want to keep things as light as possible) - but I'd like something with a removable lid, so the mixer can sit on a solid base (otherwise the mixer's not going to sit well on my QuikLok mixer stand.

Lots to learn... but it's fun.

Take another look at the SKB case DD ended up with.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,147188.msg1354853.html#msg1354853

I have gotten the same setup.  The tilt-up frame is very handy in compensating for losing the slant of the Qu-16 when racking it.  Nice to have the screen readily visible if you're at the board and not mixing on a pad.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:10:32 PM by dick rees »

Kev Jones

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »

Dick, First of all - thank you for all your various posts on the QU-16 and other things over the past few months... I've learnt a lot from your comments and advice (I've still got a lot to learn... but I'll get there).

Yes... I guess I've been getting away with things - not having a spare mixer.  However - rightly or wrongly - moving to digital made me more aware of possible vulnerabilities.  That said, I had to go for a very small spare mixer as there's not much room in my car for much more kit (I'm the guitarist in the band - and I carry all the PA, my guitar stuff and the bassist's stuff... so I have no chance of using my GL2400 as my spare.  Shame, because it's been a good mixer - but I'll find a use for it at some point.

Thanks for the info about the Furman and the case.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Dick, First of all - thank you for all your various posts on the QU-16 and other things over the past few months... I've learnt a lot from your comments and advice (I've still got a lot to learn... but I'll get there).

Yes... I guess I've been getting away with things - not having a spare mixer.  However - rightly or wrongly - moving to digital made me more aware of possible vulnerabilities.  That said, I had to go for a very small spare mixer as there's not much room in my car for much more kit (I'm the guitarist in the band - and I carry all the PA, my guitar stuff and the bassist's stuff... so I have no chance of using my GL2400 as my spare.  Shame, because it's been a good mixer - but I'll find a use for it at some point.

Thanks for the info about the Furman and the case.
Kev,

I carry my ZED 10Fx as a backup for the same reason (size and weight) as a backup for my rig.  I just started using a digital mixer (X32 Rack).  As you stated, I find myself also worrying more about mixer failure than I did with my MixWiz analog setup.

My band uses vDrums, so we could get by OK with just the ZED 10Fx. 

Also another alternative to Dick's furman recommendation is here:  http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SC450RM1U

They are less expensive (can get them for ~$190.00 on Amazon), and also can provide several minutes of UPS power in addition to voltage regulation.  The disavantage is that they weigh around 24lbs vs the Furman's 12lbs. The APC unit is also limited to `3.75 amps (more than enough to power the Qu-16 at 84W) Both are 1u units.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:07:29 PM by Scott Bolt »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

Also another alternative to Dick's furman recommendation is here:  http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SC450RM1U

Sorry, but no.  The AR1215 is a 15 amp unit with 8 outlets behind, one "courtesy" outlet on the face.

The APC unit you link looks to have 4 outlets, handles less power and offers no metering.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:44:32 PM by dick rees »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »

Sorry, but no.  The AR1215 is a 15 amp unit with 8 outlets behind, one "courtesy" outlet on the face.

The APC unit you link looks to have 4 outlets, handles less power and offers no metering.
If your rig needs more than 4 outlets, and more importantly more than 3.75 amps, and you don't want UPS capabilities, then I agree.  I don't feel that strongly about the metering since I have other tools that are more accurate and complete for this purpose.

Additionally, the APC unit will tolerate much worse inputs than will the Furman

APC - 75-154V input
Furman - 97-141V input

Really, the weight bothers me more than the smaller number of output sockets or the lower current rating.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »

If your rig needs more than 4 outlets, and more importantly more than 3.75 amps, and you don't want UPS capabilities, then I agree.  I don't feel that strongly about the metering since I have other tools that are more accurate and complete for this purpose.

What all do you have at FOH?

Console
Wireless router
iPad charger
USB hard-disc for Qu-drive recording
Wireless mic receivers

That's a good bit more than 3.75 amps...and when voltage sags you sacrifice amps to maintain voltage.  There's no way I'd go with anything less than a full 15 amps.

Having the brightly lit, full-time LED metering is a plus.  Not having the extra 12 pounds is a plus.

And here's a picture of APC's "stepped approximation" of a sine wave:

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »

What all do you have at FOH?

Console
Wireless router
iPad charger
USB hard-disc for Qu-drive recording
Wireless mic receivers

That's a good bit more than 3.75 amps...and when voltage sags you sacrifice amps to maintain voltage.  There's no way I'd go with anything less than a full 15 amps.

Having the brightly lit, full-time LED metering is a plus.  Not having the extra 12 pounds is a plus.

And here's a picture of APC's "stepped approximation" of a sine wave:

Hey Dick,

I noticed this discussion start to develop again yesterday and mentioned how we should make the investment to protect our FOH equipment to my husband. He thought he was doing the right thing and today brought home this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BN575G

He picked it up at Sam's Club on his way home. Not sure how to tell him that it is not going to be adequate. Can I utilize it safely in any way do you think???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »

Hey Dick,

I noticed this discussion start to develop again yesterday and mentioned how we should make the investment to protect our FOH equipment to my husband. He thought he was doing the right thing and today brought home this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BN575G

He picked it up at Sam's Club on his way home. Not sure how to tell him that it is not going to be adequate. Can I utilize it safely in any way do you think???

Perhaps put it into "domestic use" for a home computer and get a real line voltage regulator for your digital console???

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »

Perhaps put it into "domestic use" for a home computer and get a real line voltage regulator for your digital console???

He he.....It was a good price mind ..he tells me just north of $30. I'm sure I'll find a use for it !!

While I'm on the forum....I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has made my life so much easier by helping me make better decisions than I might have done left to my own devices - you all know who you are - but more importantly........

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.