ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 users  (Read 140952 times)

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
Re: Qu-16 Users / ISO Android App
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:10 AM »

The App has 2 large buttons.

A green "FX On" button and a red "FX Off" button. They control the mute setting of FX returns 1 to 4.

And above these buttons, there's a simple text-box to type in a simple comment.
The lead singer requested this text box, so that he can type in the name of the bride and groom :-)

Then there's a settings page, where you can enter the IP address of the Qu-16.
Connect the Qu-16 to your network, set it's DHCP setting to on, and go to the diagnostics page, to see it's actual IP address.
Make sure that your phone is connected to the same network using Wifi.

That's all for now.

The app isn't available in google play. But if anyone is interested, then I can put up a URL to the .apk file so that you can download and install it for yourself....

www.feestband.nu/qu_16_app

Disclaimer: use at your own risk. I cannot guarantee anything, even if the app will continue to work with future firmware versions, because A&H didn't release any official specifications yet.

- George
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:27:45 AM by George Wieggers »

George Wieggers

• Classic LAB
    • Feestband Fris
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »

I uploaded a new version of the app. The previous version had a permission problem which caused it to display an error "access denied" when trying to use the buttons.

It should work properly now. Happy testing  8)

- George

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »

Keep up the good work, George.

Here's my report after two weekends of festival work:

Qu-16 passing all tests with flying colors.  I had hedged my bets for an outdoor church service by putting the SLive 24 in the van, but decided to just go with the Qu-16 instead after four days of working with it.  It gave me the control I needed, the EQ required and so filled the bill.  But I still miss my downward expansion....

Many, many compliments on the clarity of the sound.  That clarity has exposed some of the mics as less than adequate, but fortunately for me I have many choices and have started switching to some others.  SM58's still work (on average), but my 767's will be seeing a lot more use now for voice.  Guitar amps still get E906's, bass gets a BSS 133 DI and I'm finally moving up to more than 3-4 mics on drum kits.  The "claw" mounts for the D2's are so quick to get on/off that the logisitics are much less of a problem.  So I now have individual tom mics.  Most drummers are satisfied with a single OH, as am I.  So 7 mics on a kit is not too much of a deal.

But the bottom line is the positive feedback from the crowds.  These are events I've worked for long enough to be "known", and the increase over the usual "nice job" comments to "wow---great sound" is definitely noticed and appreciated.

Happy camper here.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kev Jones

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »

Glad to hear the QU-16 is going well for you, Dick.
As someone that is waiting on the side lines, trying to decide which mixer to buy... it's really useful for me to be able to read an experienced user's views on a piece of kit. Thanks for the info. 

Also interesting to read about your experiences with 767s.  I assume these are the EV mics?!?!  If so... they're my main vocal mic... so if they work well with the QU, that's a bonus.

I'm just a weekend warrior that tries to do the sound for my band (with the mixer at my side on stage... while I'm trying to play guitar.)  I'm getting closer to deciding on the QU-16.  Have considered the Line 6 m20d (purely as it seems to have 'idiot proof' ease of use... and I'm an idiot!).  However, as I use an A&H GL2400 at the moment... and I've had no negative experiences with my analogue A&H... and I like having physical faders...  I'm heavily leaning towards the QU.  The m20d may have more presets etc. but it looks like the QU-16 is fairly easy (and flexible) to use - even for a harassed guitarist that only has the time it takes to sustain a note in order to make some fader / knob adjustments.  Is that a fair assumption regarding the QU-16's ease of use?

Would it be a derail if I asked a question about recording with the QU?  If so... I'll post in another thread.  If not...here goes. 
I'd like to record multi-track on every gig.  The QU drive feature looks great - and I like the idea of recording onto hard disk (as opposed to SD cards).  For many small gigs, we don't need to mic up the drums and put them through the PA... so I was wondering if I can mic the drums up - but mute them (so they don't go through the FOH speakers and don't go through the monitors) but then still record the drums via the QU drive.  From what I've read in the QU-16 manual, it seems I may be able to do this - but I thought I'd ask... just in case I'm missing something.

Many thanks for your help.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »

?

Would it be a derail if I asked a question about recording with the QU?  If so... I'll post in another thread.  If not...here goes. 
I'd like to record multi-track on every gig.  The QU drive feature looks great - and I like the idea of recording onto hard disk (as opposed to SD cards).  For many small gigs, we don't need to mic up the drums and put them through the PA... so I was wondering if I can mic the drums up - but mute them (so they don't go through the FOH speakers and don't go through the monitors) but then still record the drums via the QU drive.  From what I've read in the QU-16 manual, it seems I may be able to do this - but I thought I'd ask... just in case I'm missing something.

Many thanks for your help.

Yes, you should be able to do separate assignments for mains output and Q-drive feed.

As to live from stage mixing, I'd still recommend a StudioLive for several reasons:

1.  Larger, more comprehensive "meter bridge" display, easily switchable with a single button push between input/output/GR, etc.

2.  All controls on one level, no layer switching.  That said, sends on faders is nice and that means Flying faders and control layers.

3.  Tunable gates on the SLive, not yet on the Qu-16.  And the downward expanders are a thing of joy.  As I said, that's the biggest thing I miss in leaving the SLive.

4.  The scrolling SMAART display on the SLive is very, very cool for setting PEQ filters quickly.  But that means running a Mac on stage alongside the mixer.  If you're recording to the Mac, though, it's already there.

Kev Jones

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:37 PM »

Thanks for the input, Dick.  Hadn't really considered the SL.  Took a very quick look at one a few months ago - and wasn't sure about the faders / quality (I was looking at the smallest SL).  I'll investigate.

What are downward expanders?

Re. use of Macs.  No plans to buy a Mac.  LIke the idea of recording directly onto an external disc.

Thanks again for your help.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »

Thanks for the input, Dick.  Hadn't really considered the SL.  Took a very quick look at one a few months ago - and wasn't sure about the faders / quality (I was looking at the smallest SL).  I'll investigate.

What are downward expanders?

Re. use of Macs.  No plans to buy a Mac.  LIke the idea of recording directly onto an external disc.

Thanks again for your help.

Downward expanders are like soft gates.  They "reduce the gain" on open mics when no direct signal is present, but open fully when the intended input occurs.  They open and close dynamically instead of being on/off like gates.  As such, they work at a basically inaudible level to help keep the open ambient sound bleed into your mix to a minimum.

Just helps keep things clean.  Handy.

Kev Jones

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Hadn't come across downward expanders before.  Yes... they sound like a useful feature.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  Hadn't come across downward expanders before.  Yes... they sound like a useful feature.
Let's not forget that the StudioLive isn't the only digital console with downward expanders.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

Let's not forget that the StudioLive isn't the only digital console with downward expanders.

Let's not forget that the mention of the downward expansion was part of an entire set of features cited as reasons why the SLive makes a great "on-stage" mixer.  Great feature set for the stated use and perhaps the best price going for that particular usage.

Care to mention the others???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.