ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple Question...Hopefully Simple Answer  (Read 8152 times)

Josh Weitkamp

Simple Question...Hopefully Simple Answer
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:02:24 AM »

Right now... I am running a 15 with a horn on each side for highs and mids, not bi-amped.  they are Peavey SP5's with a pair of CE1000's running each one mono.  I have the chance to pick up a pair of SP2's for a deal.  If I add those to the stacks, it'll kick me up to 4ohm a side load.  Which from the CE1000's pulls 1100w per side as apposed to the 900w per side I'm getting right now.  So, if I am thinking correctly, each cab is receiving 550w?? So with less wattage driving each speaker, but a 200w per side increase, will the clarity be any better as apposed to just running the normal 900w a side to a single 15 with horn.  Mind you, for the lows I have a Peavey CS4000 running 4 18's across the bottom at 1350w per side.  I know the CE1000's are kinda touchy in the 4ohm bridge mono area, looking to get a QSC GX7 for my highs to fix this issue.  I'll take any and all suggestions that don't involve insults or ridicule.  Thanks -Josh

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Simple Question...Hopefully Simple Answer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:26:21 AM »

I hate to be the first to tell you, but there are very few simple answers in this business, and this isn't going to be one!

It's never a good idea to mix and match full range cabs.  Your best bet is to use one good cab, capable of getting the volume you need, per side.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:36:50 AM »

they are Peavey SP5's with a pair of CE1000's running each one mono.  I have the chance to pick up a pair of SP2's for a deal.  If I add those to the stacks, it'll kick me up to 4ohm a side load.  Which from the CE1000's pulls 1100w per side as apposed to the 900w per side I'm getting right now.  So, if I am thinking correctly, each cab is receiving 550w??
One thing to consider is that while both the SP2 and SP5 are 8 Ohms nominal, they are also respectively specified as 5.9 Ohms and 6.0 Ohms minimum, so at some frequencies their impedance is as low as around 6 Ohms and thus two in parallel could drop as low as 3 Ohms.

So with less wattage driving each speaker, but a 200w per side increase, will the clarity be any better as apposed to just running the normal 900w a side to a single 15 with horn.
The power relates to output but not necessarily to clarity.  Running two different model speakers getting the same signal and covering the same listeners will likely reduce clarity even if the overall output increases.  And in terms of output, the difference between 900W to one speaker as you have and 550W per speaker to two with the added one having a 1dB lower sensitivity effectively represents no effective difference.  So if you had both speakers in parallel and covering the same listeners you'd probably not really gain anything but likely reduce the clarity.

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »

Most would consider the SP2 a pretty good step up (condition being equal), so a buy then sell might be warranted.
You could always pair the like speakers on each side and stack with the horns together.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »

Right now... I am running a 15 with a horn on each side for highs and mids, not bi-amped.  they are Peavey SP5's with a pair of CE1000's running each one mono.  I have the chance to pick up a pair of SP2's for a deal.  If I add those to the stacks, it'll kick me up to 4ohm a side load.  Which from the CE1000's pulls 1100w per side as apposed to the 900w per side I'm getting right now.  So, if I am thinking correctly, each cab is receiving 550w?? So with less wattage driving each speaker, but a 200w per side increase, will the clarity be any better as apposed to just running the normal 900w a side to a single 15 with horn.  Mind you, for the lows I have a Peavey CS4000 running 4 18's across the bottom at 1350w per side.  I know the CE1000's are kinda touchy in the 4ohm bridge mono area, looking to get a QSC GX7 for my highs to fix this issue.  I'll take any and all suggestions that don't involve insults or ridicule.  Thanks -Josh
It is NOT a good idea to use 2 cabinets to cover the same area-and even worse to use 2 different cabinets.

While 2 cabinets will provide enough interference-the different cabinets will most likely have a different phase response.

This will result in all kinds of notches and holes in the response.   Making matters even worse.

Your best bet is to use a single cabinet per side that will get loud enough for the job.

Yeah not as cool looking-but better sounding.

It all depends on what you are "going for".

With loudspeakers LESS is better and ONE is ideal as it will be the clearest sounding-by ANY manufacturer
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jared Koopman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »

Yeah not as cool looking-but better sounding.

It all depends on what you are "going for".

Could always just put both in the stack but only hook up one. That way you have the look :)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »

Could always just put both in the stack but only hook up one. That way you have the look :)

Yeah, the "look" of someone who doesn't know what he is doing.

Josh Weitkamp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »

So, what i have gathered is:

1. Get the bigger SP2's and run those in the stead of my SP5's (so to get more output, I'll need a bigger amp since the SP2's are rated at 1000w I believe.)

2. NEVER mix and match cabs, If I am planning on adding cabs to either side, get the same ones and get the same amps to run them the same way correct??  Jusr for reference too, i would never "stack" two cabs.  I would mount them sid by side so as the horns and woofers are at the same level.

3. I'm really glad I found this forum because I have learned more here than I ever did before.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »

2. NEVER mix and match cabs, If I am planning on adding cabs to either side, get the same ones and get the same amps to run them the same way correct??  Jusr for reference too, i would never "stack" two cabs.  I would mount them sid by side so as the horns and woofers are at the same level.

Sometimes stacking (horn to horn) will be a viable option.  Side by side is debatable.  If the proper splay between cabinets starts bouncing sound off the walls, stacking will be the better deployment.

Just make sure the stack is securely anchored...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Josh Weitkamp

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »

Sometimes stacking (horn to horn) will be a viable option.  Side by side is debatable.  If the proper splay between cabinets starts bouncing sound off the walls, stacking will be the better deployment.

Just make sure the stack is securely anchored...

So you're talking bottom cab right side up, top cab upside down??  And this works as long as they are matching cabs yes??  I'm only guessing that this allows the highs to all be produced from one source almost causing an array affect??

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.