ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Small, light powered monitors  (Read 27739 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Small, light powered monitors
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »

Unfortunately I shop basically once a year on vacation, I won't really get to try whatever I buy until the Fall when our music season resumes.  Best I can do is a laptop playback audition, which is helpful, but it cuts down my time to source an alternative since I basically have 3 weeks to travel, buy and ship.

Any chance GC stocks the Alto's? That would at least allow me to audition them in Houston.

I'm still a thinkin...

GC deals Alto, but does not stock them. Furthermore I just inquired about these wedges and they said they won't have them until may. Alto either produces them in batches or they can't keep up with demand. Either way I'm bummed because I want to buy some!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Small, light powered monitors
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »

GC deals Alto, but does not stock them. Furthermore I just inquired about these wedges and they said they won't have them until may. Alto either produces them in batches or they can't keep up with demand. Either way I'm bummed because I want to buy some!

Amazon's been out of stock for a while now, good to know more should be on the way in May. Maybe by then my band can afford to buy a few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dave Wightman

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »

I just can't get my head around the Altos, totally unfounded brand bias I suspect, the bad location of the connectors shouldn't be that big a deal. 
[/quote]

As long as you're on a decent sized stage and have some separation from the audience, the connectors being on the back don't matter too much. The only time I have noticed this being a problem is in a crammed bar where someone stepped on a power cable and it disconnected from the back of the monitor. As long as you don't have to worry about that, they are a fantastic buy!

As for trying them out, I have not seen a GC that stocks them, but here is a video of the SXM112a compared to the RCF NX12SMA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlOd-IV6v8

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 03:09:36 AM »

As for trying them out, I have not seen a GC that stocks them, but here is a video of the SXM112a compared to the RCF NX12SMA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlOd-IV6v8

'The Altos sound stuffy and boxy (compared to the RCFs)'.  Not a particularly great endorsement.  Is the Alto fan thermally controlled?  RPM controlled or on/off controlled, or always on?
Mark McFarlane

Sean Barry

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »

'The Altos sound stuffy and boxy (compared to the RCFs)'.  Not a particularly great endorsement.  Is the Alto fan thermally controlled?  RPM controlled or on/off controlled, or always on?

I would not put a lot of faith in that utube bit. Unless you are looking for guitar speakers. The dude was hating on the Altos from the gitgo! For 3 times the price perhaps you should A/B shootout 2 Altos to 1 RCF? I have never heard either but I would trust the folks here way more than some not-to-good-guitar-playing-hack with 2 much $$$ & time on his hands :D
No offense meant to anyone, it's early in the morning and Amazon is out of Altos :(
As far as the fan speeds, Alto is quite ???Non descriptive?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »

I always evaluate my PA speakers by playing electric guitar with a distortion patch through them........NOT.

There were just too many variables involved PLUS the wedges were not equally on-axis to the recording mic.  Basically a b***s*** "test".

The fan is always on.  And dead silent.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »

Really, that was a pretty crappy comparison.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »

Basically a b***s*** "test".

The fan is always on.  And dead silent.

Is it still silent when the b***s*** hits it?  ;D

GTD

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

The RCF NX series definitely made the wish list, but my budget is lower than that.  It's the marginally better speaker, but I also ended up with a db Technologies speaker like Ryan.  I take delivery of them this week from a local dealer who cut me an offer I couldn't refuse so I'll have 6 or 8 of the Flexsys FM12's by midweek.  I think I'd rather have the RCF's long run, but I don't do enough really high output gigs that the Flexsys won't keep up.  Maybe someday I'll get around to DIY'ing something with the better RCF driver they have with the 1.4" exit on the coax.

Can I ask how you found these?  I've been looking at them also for small live gigs that don't justify bigger wedges and amp racks etc.

k

Chris Whelan

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

Aww man I'd love to buy a pair of those Altos, but in the crowded venues we play, the inputs are a deal killer :(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 26 queries.