ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I WAS ahead of the curve  (Read 9175 times)

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
Re: I WAS ahead of the curve
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

I have been running my MixWiz for over 12 years without any problems.... but I am really tempted to get a SL 16.4.2.  A full meter bridge and WAY smaller and lighter than my current instrument rack sounds pretty good to me.  We already have remote mixing with a Furman wired IEM system (4 aux mixes and the main mix).... but then, I don't do sound for other bands that often.

I have even considered the SL 16.0.2 since my band uses vDrums and we don't need even 16 channels.

Pretty soon, the powered speakers are going to come with a mixer built in and all you will need is a tablet to control it with ;)

I'd look at the 16 mic pre version of the x32 before the SL, maybe it's just me but the (never thought I'd say this in a million years) X32 sounds better to me.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »

I'd look at the 16 mic pre version of the x32 before the SL, maybe it's just me but the (never thought I'd say this in a million years) X32 sounds better to me.

+1
Also check out the x32 Rack, no faders just a 3u rack mount mixer with 16 preamps, some 1/4 inch aux inputs and outputs, and 8 xlr outputs. It's designed for remote control via iPad/laptop and supports Behringer's personal mixers. Also it can be expanded to a full 32 preamps and 16 outputs with a s16 digital snake box. One of these days when out band moves beyond our analog mixer it's what I'd like to get; the x32 I installed at my parent's church sounds and works great.

David Parker

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »

one thing I've got that the others don't YET! I have 32 full function channels in a single rack width. None of the bands I work for fit on a 16 channel mixer. I've got my LS9-16 with two 8 channel expanders in a rack. 32  inputs and 24 outputs. All XLR. In the places where I work real estate is at a premium, so the single rack width is a plus. I roll my rig in all hooked up and set up. And it's paid for.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »

David,

I'm also winding down, mix mostly for myself now, have a very nice analog rig, and agree with everything Tim has said.

You may be interested in personal monitor mixers from Hear, Aviom or Roland, and there are others, even Behringer. I have used the Hear Technologies unit below. Very affordable and works great with analog or digital consoles.

http://www.aviom.com/?adid=0&gclid=CPyO4-LN8LUCFVGf4AodJhwADg

http://www.heartechnologies.com/hb/hearbackintro.htm

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/P16-M.aspx

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:19:08 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

I remember when the original mackie 1604 came out, with 4 aux sends. I wondered what all those aux sends were for!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »

I remember when the original mackie 1604 came out, with 4 aux sends. I wondered what all those aux sends were for!

I remember that feeling when I got my Mackie Onyx 1640 with 6 auxs; now I wish it had more(although I don't currently use them all that will change when I get some more monitors).

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:07 PM »

one thing I've got that the others don't YET! I have 32 full function channels in a single rack width. None of the bands I work for fit on a 16 channel mixer. I've got my LS9-16 with two 8 channel expanders in a rack. 32  inputs and 24 outputs. All XLR. In the places where I work real estate is at a premium, so the single rack width is a plus. I roll my rig in all hooked up and set up. And it's paid for.

Yeah, it's rare that I use under 20 channels from the stage, 16 would be a poor investment on my part. Then again when advancing I spec out 48 channels, at least 8 VCAs, etc. If digital the LS932 and X32 are the lowest I'll take, standard is the SC48.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »

+1
Also check out the x32 Rack, no faders just a 3u rack mount mixer with 16 preamps, some 1/4 inch aux inputs and outputs, and 8 xlr outputs. It's designed for remote control via iPad/laptop and supports Behringer's personal mixers. Also it can be expanded to a full 32 preamps and 16 outputs with a s16 digital snake box. One of these days when out band moves beyond our analog mixer it's what I'd like to get; the x32 I installed at my parent's church sounds and works great.
This is a serious question but I see the advantages of remote wireless mixing for setup and in some uses, especially in smaller systems, however I do not understand situations with perfectly good mix positions and 32 channel and larger systems wanting to replace having actual faders and knobs, monitoring/cueing, talkback, etc. with iPads or touch screens.  Supplement okay, but why would someone not want a real mix control surface if it was feasible?

David Parker

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

This is a serious question but I see the advantages of remote wireless mixing for setup and in some uses, especially in smaller systems, however I do not understand situations with perfectly good mix positions and 32 channel and larger systems wanting to replace having actual faders and knobs, monitoring/cueing, talkback, etc. with iPads or touch screens.  Supplement okay, but why would someone not want a real mix control surface if it was feasible?

quite often it isn't feasible to put the mixer in a good position for mixing, and even if it is, it's not a good idea to mix based on one place in the room, since it never sounds the same all over the room. Certainly I'd love to have my mixer in the perfect place every time, but that is a rarity. The Studio Manager ipad app is extremely functional, and in some ways better than mixing on the LS9.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »

Had a drummer the other night complaining because he couldn't mix his own in ears on his Iphone.

I just finished a gig that involved a day and a half of rehearsals, culminating in a one hour live to air radio broadcast of ten newly arranged songs.  My job on this one was monitors, 6 mixes for the backing band, and another five for the featured performers.  The drummer was a fairly tech savvy guy, so I gave him the iPad (connected to the LS9-32) to set up his own in-ears mix (I trusted him enough not to mess with the other mixes), while I concentrated on the wedges. 

It worked pretty well.  The drummer is smart enough to have a plan B for his ears: he carries a stereo mic that he can plug into his little mixer if there are no overheads supplied with the PA.  Once he had his own kit set up, I retrieved the iPad, and made adjustments for the various soloists in his mix as we went along. 

Other drummers I've worked with over the years who cared about their monitor mix, carried their own mixer, a bunch of Y-cords, and a monitor or in-ear rig, and one even had his own mic kit.  8)

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.