ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for remote speaker - wireless  (Read 12211 times)

Gordon Waugh

Suggestions for remote speaker - wireless
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:58:28 PM »

One of the church members asked me whether it would be possible to put a speaker in the nursery so the nursery volunteers can hear the service.

A wired connection is probably not feasible. We rent a Boys and Girls club. The worship service is in the gym, and the nursery is about 100 feet away around a corner at the end of a hallway. I would rather not have to connect a computer to the (analog) mixer. Maybe my googling skills are weak: I *can* find systems that will play an iPod but I cannot find a system where you can connect a mixer output to the transmitter/router--which then is transmitted to the speaker.
Gordon Waugh

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Suggestions for remote speaker - wireless
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

long XLR?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:26:34 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Patrick Moore

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »

I would get a 100' xlr cable and a small powered speaker.  If line level audio were easily and reliably transmitted wirelessly, we'd all be doing it by now.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »

Half-baked idea: pad the output to mic level (DI box maybe), and feed a wireless transmitter (like you might attach to an instrument). Attach receiver to powered speaker.

Pros:
  • off-the-shelf components
  • may be reused as a wireless mic unit down the road

Cons:
  • an expensive solution to a simple problem (100' XLR <$50; good wireless unit >$400)
  • may not have sufficient wireless signal quality

The last "con" will likely be a con with any wireless solution.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Gordon Waugh

[email protected]
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:08 AM »

I will check with the B&G Club to see if they will let me run a cable above the ceiling. I think it is a drop ceiling.
Gordon Waugh

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: [email protected]
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:43:17 AM »

I will check with the B&G Club to see if they will let me run a cable above the ceiling. I think it is a drop ceiling.

Be careful about drilling through walls. If it is a "firewall" it will require special techniques and materials to ensure that the fire protection integrity is not compromised. Building plans should indicate firewalls; if it appears that original penetrations (from when the building was constructed) are sealed with caulking (could be red or grey) then that's a pretty good sign that it's a firewall.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: [email protected]
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »

Be careful about drilling through walls. If it is a "firewall" it will require special techniques and materials to ensure that the fire protection integrity is not compromised. Building plans should indicate firewalls; if it appears that original penetrations (from when the building was constructed) are sealed with caulking (could be red or grey) then that's a pretty good sign that it's a firewall.
Adding to that, if the area above the ceiling is a plenum space then that would require using plenum rated cable.  And if the cable would be in place for any length of time then the cable can probably not just be laid on the ceiling, it would have to be suspended from above and not from piping, ductwork, etc.

A couple comments on the idea of using something like a wireless instrument system.  For one, you would need power at the receiver and have to keep changing batteries in the transmitter.  For another, 100' may not be that great a distance but  it is apparently through a couple of walls, maybe not direct line, etc. so in terms of RF the losses may be much greater than 100' line of sight.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:58 AM »

Does the mixer have aux outs?  Where did you want to get you audio to send to the room from on the mixer? 

What Mixer do you have? 

Look at some of the Powered speakers for the room receiving to keep simple and easy for setup and take down.

Look into a passive DI so you can reduce ground hum issues on power problems between the main service and the second location. 

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »

One of the church members asked me whether it would be possible to put a speaker in the nursery so the nursery volunteers can hear the service.

A wired connection is probably not feasible. We rent a Boys and Girls club. The worship service is in the gym, and the nursery is about 100 feet away around a corner at the end of a hallway. I would rather not have to connect a computer to the (analog) mixer. Maybe my googling skills are weak: I *can* find systems that will play an iPod but I cannot find a system where you can connect a mixer output to the transmitter/router--which then is transmitted to the speaker.

Kill two birds with one stone. Invest in an RF assistive listening system that meets ADA requirements http://www.williamssound.com/catalog/ppa-vp-37. Once you have done the right thing you can buy a receiver like this: http://www.listentech.com/lr-100.html and drive any speaker(s) you want or buy a receiver/ powered speaker combination like this http://www.williamssound.com/catalog/ppa-r1600

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »

I have just used a Shure ULX belt pack with the XLR adapter cable and set the internal switch to line. I have, on occasion, gaff taped the receiver to the top of a powered speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.