ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie User Forums shut down since 1/4  (Read 25462 times)

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Mackie User Forums shut down since 1/4
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

The survey of our audio technicians at Century II Performing Arts and Convention Center says:  PRE EQ, PRE FADER aux sends for monitors.  There are 2 mixers in the basement storage room that nobody uses because the auxes are all post-EQ, although they are pre-fader.

I'll take 'em off your hands.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

+1 and then some...

Thanks, Tim.  I must admit I'm getting very tired of folks cavilling about pre/post aux stuff.  The point is not to "get along" with what manufacturers in their technical arrogance deign to include in their product, but to insist that their gear come out as fully functional as possible OUT OF THE CHUTE.

No more waiting for (and perhaps paying for) upgrades which might as well be there in version 1.0.

And in this instance (Mackie iPad mixer) where it's pretty much all in the app, write the book, not just a few chapters....... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »

The survey of our audio technicians at Century II Performing Arts and Convention Center says:  PRE EQ, PRE FADER aux sends for monitors.  There are 2 mixers in the basement storage room that nobody uses because the auxes are all post-EQ, although they are pre-fader.

Real men use..........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »

I'll take 'em off your hands.

At the rate they are holding up, in spite of their low use, you can dumpster-dive for them sometime in 2013.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Uwe Riemer

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »

I'm not a Mackie mixer user, but I'm in the camp of post-EQ aux sends as well.  If my FOH and monitor systems are both fairly neutral sounding and well-behaved (which was the goal, last I checked), I've found that most of the tonal changes I want to make for FOH also improve the monitor sound.

There's still a place for Y-ing an input now and then so you can do different intentional EQing, but I can't think of a time in recent memory where no EQ to the monitors was better than what I was doing at FOH.

Count me in on TJs side

Uwe

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »

Real men use..........

20 year old Soundcraft Venue II.  It's down in the basement, too, but I'll deal with a couple of dead channels because the working channels have the "right" aux send parameters, 4 band eq, and more routing options.

The cheesy mixers I'm referring to were purchased when the 30 year old Yamaha mixers in the little theater and exhibition hall became unrepairable due to parts sourcing.  It's telling that our technicians still go to the old mixers (that do what we need done) than the 'new' mixers that were purchased without any thought beyond channel count and price.

@Patrick - we do a lot of different things in our PAC, with a lot of corpy meeting/presentation stuff and "community" events.  There are few, if any, rehearsals and the first time there is feedback (esp in monitors) the clients are on the phone with to their PAC event manager.  They'll mess with lighting and set all day, but audio is expected to the perfect right out of the box.  Post EQ aux sends are a virtual guarantee of pissed off clients.  Likewise,  we need the channel on/off/mute/whatever to turn off the channel audio.... ALL aux sends, group sends, etc.  Perhaps the button should be labeled "shut the hell up".  When a presenter on lav mic is off stage, we don't want her in the aux feeds to VDO record or confidence monitors, for example... this is aimed at the discussion elsewhere about channel mute behavior, and I believe the console design mindset is disconnected here, too...

Now, back to the topic thread...  THIS thread has become the de facto Mackie forum.  You may carry on... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ron Kimball

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »

The product manager for the DL1608 has joined the YahooGroup. He's a nice guy and has always been as helpful as his bosses have allowed him to be :) . I really don't like being as negative here as it may appear just because I don't want him taking it personally. I've been there and done that with some of the products I've developed. But it would appear it takes a lot of bitching to get the suits at Mackie to listen to what we all consider common sense :( . PreSonus and Behringer (and others) are no different IME.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »

But it would appear it takes a lot of bitching to get the suits at Mackie to listen to what we all consider common sense :( . PreSonus and Behringer (and others) are no different IME.

JR probably still has the tire tracks on his back from his days in Meridian, defending design decisions he knew were right for users but unfathomed by marketing, purchasing, or the guy who signed his cheque.

My most loved/hated of JR's creations was the Mark VIII.  It was clean, quiet, the EQ was responsive without feeling "hyped" and came with lots of routing (internal and physical i/o) capability.  The rest?  It really didn't like being moved.  In a truck.  The PSU voltage dividers and coms/TB were on the same card, which led to some interesting failures of both, though usually not at the same time.  And it said "Peavey" on it.  Those who mixed with their eyes were disappointed; the rest were usually pleased with it and it got a couple of "better than a Soundcraft" comments.  Something like 15 years ago we sold ours to a guy who built a recording studio around it.  I think he's still using it.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »

@Patrick - we do a lot of different things in our PAC, with a lot of corpy meeting/presentation stuff and "community" events.  There are few, if any, rehearsals and the first time there is feedback (esp in monitors) the clients are on the phone with to their PAC event manager.  They'll mess with lighting and set all day, but audio is expected to the perfect right out of the box.  Post EQ aux sends are a virtual guarantee of pissed off clients.

Whole different application. Rock bands in clubs have different expectations. I generally have minimal to no feedback and compliments on monitor mixes.

Likewise,  we need the channel on/off/mute/whatever to turn off the channel audio.... ALL aux sends, group sends, etc.  Perhaps the button should be labeled "shut the hell up".  When a presenter on lav mic is off stage, we don't want her in the aux feeds to VDO record or confidence monitors, for example... this is aimed at the discussion elsewhere about channel mute behavior, and I believe the console design mindset is disconnected here, too...

That's the other thing my VLZ Pro mod (not in the book) did, make the monitors follow the mute button. Mute should mute everything except the pre fader direct out. Is that not true on the DL1608? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »

I'm reading this and see where the 1608 can be called a mixer due to functionality, but I just don't see how it can be positioned to the live sound market simply because an Ipad runs it, or is it as the case may be.

There are many devices out there which provide an interface to sound devices using an Ipad. Do they all have to be called a mixer?

Perhaps novelty devices of this type are better positioned to home recording use.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.