ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad or Ipad mini as a control surface?  (Read 9527 times)

Lance Richens

Ipad or Ipad mini as a control surface?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »

So Iwant to get an ipad to use with the x32, mostly for ringing monitors on stage. Being a notebook pc guy, I have NO experience with the ipad's. Any suggestions will be appreciated....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:53:33 PM by Lance Richens »
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Ipad or Iad mini as a control surface?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »

So Iwant to get an ipad to use with the x32, mostly for ringing monitors on stage. Being a notebook pc guy, I have NO experience with the ipad's. Any suggestions will be appreciated....

Do you want it big or small?  Other than that they'll both work the same

Lance Richens

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »

Do you want it big or small?  Other than that they'll both work the same

This is what I'm not sure of. Not having any experience with the ipad or the x32, I am at a loss. I am concerned that with the mini, "things may be too small, icon wise" especially for a big fingered person like myself, if that makes any sense....

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »

This is what I'm not sure of. Not having any experience with the ipad or the x32, I am at a loss. I am concerned that with the mini, "things may be too small, icon wise" especially for a big fingered person like myself, if that makes any sense....

i think for this application bigger is better.  the mini fits better in the hand, but the screen real estate can be a bit tricky for a mixing app.  plus, an iPad 2 will run the XiControl app just fine and can be had on eBay or elsewhere pretty cheap.  remember, all you need is WiFi and the 16Gig version will be more than enough.

the newer and supposedly more featured version of the X32 app is coming soon [so we're told] and i suspect given that it's supposed to have Eq control and lots of other stuff, you're gonna be wanting as much screen real estate as possible.

FWIW, i have 2 X32s and an iPad.  So i have actually used these things.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Lance Richens

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »

i think for this application bigger is better.  the mini fits better in the hand, but the screen real estate can be a bit tricky for a mixing app.  plus, an iPad 2 will run the XiControl app just fine and can be had on eBay or elsewhere pretty cheap.  remember, all you need is WiFi and the 16Gig version will be more than enough.

the newer and supposedly more featured version of the X32 app is coming soon [so we're told] and i suspect given that it's supposed to have Eq control and lots of other stuff, you're gonna be wanting as much screen real estate as possible.

FWIW, i have 2 X32s and an iPad.  So i have actually used these things.  :)

Excellent. That's exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks.

Lance Richens

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »

I have soemoene that wants to sell me a 32 gig Ipad for $350.00 It is model # 770LL. Thoughts?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »

I have soemoene that wants to sell me a 32 gig Ipad for $350.00 It is model # 770LL. Thoughts?

i don't actually know what the going rates for these things are right now.  if i were you, i'd take a gander on eBay at completed listings.  that'll give you a pretty good idea of what things are selling for right now.

a little general info.  there are now 4 generations of iPad.  anything from Gen 2 forward should work fine for mix control.  there are 3 different memory sizes.  16g, 32g, and 64g.  16g will more than suffice unless you want to do a bunch of other stuff with yours.  Lastly, there are WiFi only units, and units that also have 3G cellular connections.  all you NEED is WiFi.  That's about it for variations.  it's not like tablets or PCs with an endless array of different variables.

one last thing.  Apple sells refurbished units on their website as well.  Good deals with factory warrantees.  worth looking at.

Good Luck.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »

Lance -

I've been mixing almost all of my shows for the last year on the first gen. iPad, and it's been fine (on iLive).  The single show I've mixed on an x32 with iPad connection (same iPad) worked perfectly, although I used it very little during the show.  You will get no performance improvement by adding memory above 16 gig.

Cheers,

-Tim T

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

$350 seems high.  ipad 2 with 32 gigs go for under $300, sometimes as low as $250 more likely closer to $300.  Just check completed listings in ebay to see what appropriate pricing is.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:12:11 AM »

I've been mixing almost all of my shows for the last year on the first gen. iPad, and it's been fine (on iLive). 

I don't have experience with the X32, but the 1st Gen iPad also works fine with the LS9.

The going price in my market for used iPads seems to be $300, regardless of memory size, or included accessories.

The iPad mini has the same screen resolution (1024 x 768) as the iPad 1 and 2, but just has smaller pixels.  Other than that, it should operate exactly the same.  For me, and my fat fingers, I'd rather have the larger screen.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:12:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.