ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio School placement stats?  (Read 8954 times)

John Chiara

Audio School placement stats?
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »

Just browsing Mix's article on audio Schools and the included testimonials. Anyone know a source for real world placement stats on graduates?

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Audio School placement stats?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »

Just browsing Mix's article on audio Schools and the included testimonials. Anyone know a source for real world placement stats on graduates?
That's likely a closely guarded secret.
Who wants the wannabe rock stars to see the truth before spending daddy's hard earned cash ?
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »

My SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) is that placement into a "real" job in recording, broadcast or live sound, within 90 days of graduation, is probably about 5%.  If you stretch that to 6 months it might be 10%-15%.  At 1 year it's probably around 25%.

These are based on watching other trade school placements... who knows, audio might be better or significantly worse.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

My SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) is that placement into a "real" job in recording, broadcast or live sound, within 90 days of graduation, is probably about 5%.  If you stretch that to 6 months it might be 10%-15%.  At 1 year it's probably around 25%.

These are based on watching other trade school placements... who knows, audio might be better or significantly worse.

I tend to agree. My personal antidoatal expereince shows that the 2 Central Florida Audio School grads I know are now working at Staples (computer support) and as a commercial artist, so that is 0% placement, but obvious a small sample size...

Seems to me if one can get their foot in the door as an intern AND have have a certificate, or better yet have inside contacts and some kind of electrical/industrial electronics degree, that is the better route.

Bruce Canan

• St. Louis
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »

Look behind a school's methology of placement stats. Many schools have been reporting the number of grads that have a full time jobs six months after graduating including those working at the Starbucks and Office Maxs of the world.  Last year a couple of grads from NYC law schools sued their al maters for fraud becuase their admissions materials bragged of a 90% placement rate using this fast and loose methodology!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »

I am not smart enough to pull a number out of thin air, but why not do a survey here and ask how many people here are working in the industry after going to an audio school (and say which school).

While that is not scientific either, it may give you a sense of what to expect.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

Look behind a school's methology of placement stats. Many schools have been reporting the number of grads that have a full time jobs six months after graduating including those working at the Starbucks and Office Maxs of the world.  Last year a couple of grads from NYC law schools sued their al maters for fraud becuase their admissions materials bragged of a 90% placement rate using this fast and loose methodology!

About a year ago an article reported that a "School" used jobs at Guitar Center to count as "employment in the field".

I can't recall the School or I would name it.

I think the real number is closer to 0% then 20%, this is based on applications we receive for part time instructor positions (Grade K-6 Children).

Regards,  John

Patrick Moore

Audio School placement stats?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »

I went to a 4 year university audio program and graduated right when the bottom fell out of the economy. I was fortunate enough to land a job with a production company doing corporate audio work within 10 days of graduating.  Most of my friends are not so lucky but I would blame that in lack of networking skills.  I worked my butt off while taking classes to go meet other engineers and start getting in "call lists" for certain venues.  I think it's all about what you make if your time in audio school... The jobs are obtained the same way whether you have a degree or not.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »

I went to a 4 year university audio program and graduated right when the bottom fell out of the economy. I was fortunate enough to land a job with a production company doing corporate audio work within 10 days of graduating.  Most of my friends are not so lucky but I would blame that in lack of networking skills.  I worked my butt off while taking classes to go meet other engineers and start getting in "call lists" for certain venues.  I think it's all about what you make if your time in audio school... The jobs are obtained the same way whether you have a degree or not.

so.  much.  truth....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »

I am not smart enough to pull a number out of thin air, but why not do a survey here and ask how many people here are working in the industry after going to an audio school (and say which school).

While that is not scientific either, it may give you a sense of what to expect.

JR
Or we could do a poll on what percentage of "audio school graduates" are actually worth anything.  I have meet a good many-and the percentage of real (OK  I will accept even half decent) audio people is VERY small.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.