L Acoustics Kara
- 16 (61.5%)
ELectro Voice XLD 281
- 6 (23.1%)
EAW NTL 750
- 1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice  (Read 18075 times)

Nathan Thakur

Re: Re: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »

The reason I can't audition the sound is because there's no availability for the same. I am planning to purchase 4 to 6 boxes per side and reinforce within a year with a bigger array. I am more into concert sound and that's the only reason I am planning to buy a rig. I already use JBL DAS Audio and have EAW JFL210s but JFLs are not powerful enough to cater to larger venues.

I am looking to invest in any of the above systems for the same reason. L' Acoustics Kara is out of my budget for now as even the cabling and connectors are different for this system which makes my recent cables & accessories purchase a total waste.

I am not asking which system sounds better but which system is suitable to cater larger audience, high SPL + Coverage and with good tonal quality. I am little doubtful trusting paper sheets and want people out there who have had a listen to the system or have used it to give me their honest review.

For Eg: For me JBL highs are crappy but hey that's me for others it may be good. I don't like DAS Line Array but that's me. I used EAW JFLs and they are good sounding speakers but I am looking at something that can cater to larger audience.

I am confused majorly between Outline and Electro-Voice. Where Electro-Voice speaker specs state they are much louder I don't know how the tonal quality is. Outline on the other hand is always compared with L' Acoustics which states it has good tonal attributes and coverage. I like the fact that u can reinforce it with Butterfly or GTO later.

About my business: I am not interested in cross rental as that won't work for me. I plan to use the system and reinforce in a year with a larger system. My outlook is simple. Give them a system that sounds good and is different in the cluttered market. While other peeps are running after JBL etc I want to invest in a good sound that is different and has a good tonal tune that people can appreciate other than the engineer's work.

I confirmed this with my EAW JFL210 purchase. I started touring with these and cut 60% of the competition. People appreciated the sound and to be honest the look of it aswel lol. Now I need a bigger rig and am looking at the above for the same.

I realize that putting Kara up was a mistake as everyone is voting it. So for now please don't vote Kara :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:41:59 AM by Nathan Thakur »

mark lonow

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 04:28:38 AM »

a nathen where u located?
money aside for tops less the 100 pounds  and single 18" for scalabilty
the kara and d+b v series R top tier... eaze of use rigging for the win!!!
the tourbo flex array plm/lake processed gets a honorable mention if u whant difrent

if u cant aford those  new then its back a generation  to
used dv-dosc Q-series kf730 vt4887

jbl>ev due to performance manger/crown/harmon

vt4886/vrx918  combo seams a side step from jlf210

perhaps revese engineer this and pick ur amp/dsp/array calk. of choice
like say a plm/lake or maby powersoft investment   wich opens the doors to more box solutions

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:36:36 AM by mark lonow »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »

vt4886/vrx918  combo seams a side step from jlf210

perhaps revese engineer this and pick ur amp/dsp/array calk. of choice
like say a plm/lake or maby powersoft investment   wich opens the doors to more box solutions

Have you heard or used the VerTec 4886?  It's major step above the VRX or JFL210.

To Ian - buying line arrays comes down to "how much per foot/metre."  When you need a certain length of line to achieve pattern control at progressively lower frequencies, the arrays start to cost about the same; i.e. fewer larger boxes vs. more (many more, sometimes) smaller boxes.  The variable is the output capability, the physically larger boxes tend to have more of it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

paul bell

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »

Nathan, for everything you've written, I'll ask you if you've heard the new JBL VTC line array with the co-axial compression drivers.

Something else to consider is the Clair Systems i218-M.

You want loud....

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Help: Choice in Line Array need listener's advice
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »

Please don't feed the trolls.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Nathan Thakur

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »

Nathan, for everything you've written, I'll ask you if you've heard the new JBL VTC line array with the co-axial compression drivers.

Something else to consider is the Clair Systems i218-M.

You want loud....

Yes you are absolutely correct. JBL VTC is nice but out of my budget for now. They are Large Format and expensive. Clair Systems I have no idea about them I'll check it out though Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »

I am not asking which system sounds better but which system is suitable to cater larger audience, high SPL + Coverage and with good tonal quality.
I'm not trying to be an ass here-but you have to look at it from OUR perspective.

At first-you were asking about which system SOUNDED Better.  NOW you have changed the parameters of the question to other aspects.

It is no wonder you can't get any straight answers-as you keep changing the question-deleting specifics and so forth.

A moving target is MUCH harder to hit.

When choosing a loudspeaker system-one of the LAST things that should be on your mind is "how many boxes"
  If you can do it with one-GREAT.  It it takes 40-so what?  It is the FINAL result that you should be interested in-NOT necessarily what it takes to get there.

You have now started saying that some products are to expensive for you.  So what IS your budget?  There are lots of different choices out there-but YOU-and ONLY YOU-have to narrow down the design target for others to give opinions on.

If you can't afford it-it really doesn't matter how good it sounds-how well it covers-how loud it can get and so forth.

The steps-ONE (and the most important) Accurately define the target (performance-price etc).
  TWO Look for products that meet fit withing the parameters of step one.
  THREE Look into the viability of the products in step 2.  Availability-service-ease of use-scaleability etc

Without a DOUBT the MAJOR issue I get when asked to design a system is a lack of definition of the final goal-outcome.  You can waste A LOT of time chasing down a worthless path.

You may know what you want-but the way it comes across here is VERY vague and keeps changing-at least as it appears to me.

Yes- we all want a system that will do 150dB at 1000'-fits in a cargo van-rigs by one person (on a pole)-flat to 20Hz and costs under $1000.  But it ain't gonna happen.  So SOMEWHERE-we have to start putting REALISTIC numbers to the desired result.

Otherwise you are pretty much wasting your (and others) time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nathan Thakur

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »

The steps-ONE (and the most important) Accurately define the target (performance-price etc).
  TWO Look for products that meet fit withing the parameters of step one.
  THREE Look into the viability of the products in step 2.  Availability-service-ease of use-scaleability etc

My budget is around USD 44500 I am looking at buying 8 boxes (4 per side), 4 Base and DSP. already got Powersoft for a start. To do Mid level concerts catering as much crowd as I can.. preferably approx 3000 or more.

As per my budget and availability Outline Mantas / Electro-Voice XLD281 / JBL 4886 are available. Tourbo Sound is also available but haven't gone there yet. My first preference was L' Acoustics or d&b but in this budget I can only afford the small arrays and I already got EAW JFL210s for that. I need a mid to high array that I can expand to High format later.

Reason why I do not want JBL is first I don't prefer the sound (the highs are crappy.. but that's me) and I don't wanna get into a box fight where 2 companies are competing and it becomes who got more boxes. My key elements are good Tonal quality, that the audience artist and engineer can enjoy, and as loud as they can. That been said I don't mean it has to have good tonal quality and should have high spl. But my segregation would be to pick ones with good balanced sound and then out of them which one is actually louder.

I need a system that, leaving aside the engineers work, as per physics and tone is better. Not on all grounds but first Tone and then loud.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:19:29 PM by Nathan Thakur »

Jack keaton

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »

My budget is around USD 44500 I am looking at buying 8 boxes (4 per side) for a start. To do Mid level concerts catering as much crowd as I can.. preferably approx 3000 or more.

As per my budget and availability Outline Mantas / Electro-Voice XLD281 / JBL 4886 are available. Tourbo Sound is also available but haven't gone there yet. My first preference was L' Acoustics or d&b but in this budget I can only afford the small arrays and I already got EAW JFL210s for that. I need a mid to high array that I can expand to High format later.

Reason why I do not want JBL is first I don't prefer the sound (the highs are crappy.. but that's me) and I don't wanna get into a box fight where 2 companies are competing and it becomes who got more boxes. My key elements are good Tonal quality, that the audience artist and engineer can enjoy, and as loud as they can. That been said I don't mean it has to have good tonal quality and should have high spl. But my segregation would be to pick ones with good balanced sound and then out of them which one is actually louder.

I need a system that, leaving aside the engineers work, as per physics and tone is better. Not on all grounds but first Tone and then loud.

I have never thought the highers were "crappy" in vertec, Were you driving the rig you heard or was it someone else?

Nathan Thakur

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »

I have never thought the highers were "crappy" in vertec, Were you driving the rig you heard or was it someone else?

VT4889 or 48888 are alright. I heard JBL at couple of occasions spl VT4886 different engineers and I didn't find them really great but that's a personal choice too.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 28 queries.