ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to buy for live PA?  (Read 8852 times)

Ben Fisher

What to buy for live PA?
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »

Hi there,

I am wanting to buy some Live PA equipment for out door events, bars, and halls.

I am planning on spending anywhere for 5000 to 10 000.   I am wanting anywhere from 2 to 4 subs and 4 - 6 mid/high tops

I was considering Mackie HD or JBL Eons.

Any advice, ideas on what I should look at?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Scott Bolt

Re: What to buy for live PA?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »

Hey Ben,

What kind of music will you be playing? 

How big of crowds do you expect (inside and outside)?

Do you need everything, or just speakers and amps?

Ben Fisher

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:19:26 AM »

Thanks so much for your reply,  You are the only one that did :)

It will mainly be used for Dj sets containing all genres of music everything from soul to drum and bass,  hip hop to funk, pretty much any genre.

I would like it to be capable of working for a crowds  up to a couple hundred people

I need everything not just speakers and amps.   I would like the speakers to be self powered.   Once I have figured out what speakers I am going with I was going to start looking into Limiters and anything else I will need. 

I have no experience with large scale sound.   I have been producing music for quite a  few years.

Thanks again for your help! 

Please respond,

B

Hey Ben,

What kind of music will you be playing? 

How big of crowds do you expect (inside and outside)?

Do you need everything, or just speakers and amps?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:42:09 AM »

Hi there,

I am wanting to buy some Live PA equipment for out door events, bars, and halls.

I am planning on spending anywhere for 5000 to 10 000.   I am wanting anywhere from 2 to 4 subs and 4 - 6 mid/high tops

Thanks in advance
Now that you've provided some more input that may help, but as the thread title references "live PA" while you now say "It will mainly be used for DJ sets" it is not clear if the use is live sound and/or DJ and those could define two quite different systems.

If the system is primarily for DJ applications then it may get more response in the DJ forum.  To handle live performances of the genres of music you noted for several hundred people outdoors, $5k to $10k is a rather limited budget if it has to cover everything.

Ben Fisher

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »

Hey there,

It will be for Dj sets almost everytime.    Crowd size of say 200 people.

I know the budget is limited but Id like to make the most of it. 

Any advice is appreciated

Im am still at a loss as to what type of speakers I should be getting into ?

Thanks again

Now that you've provided some more input that may help, but as the thread title references "live PA" while you now say "It will mainly be used for DJ sets" it is not clear if the use is live sound and/or DJ and those could define two quite different systems.

If the system is primarily for DJ applications then it may get more response in the DJ forum.  To handle live performances of the genres of music you noted for several hundred people outdoors, $5k to $10k is a rather limited budget if it has to cover everything.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »

The hip hop music and rock music for DJ'ing requires a healthy bottom end (real men have subs).

I like the idea of powered speakers as you suggested.

The subs are a pretty easy call for me since I think the JBL PRX618S-XLF's are in a class by themselves within their price range (and even above this price).  I got mine off of the e-bay store by giving an offer of $1100.00 each (I have 2).  These subs use the drivers from JBL's higher end SRX718 speakers which are well respected in the industry.

The tops are a little tougher call for me.

I personally like the Yamaha DSR115's.  These have mid low punch like no other powered speaker in their class (I have listened to pretty much all of them).

So this is the butchers bill:

JBL PRX618S-XLF ---------- $1100.00 x4 = $4400.00
Yamaha DSR115 ----------- $1000.00 x2 = $2000.00
Allen & Heath ZED 10Fx --- $300.00 x1 = $300.00

So for ~7K you will have an absolutely thumpin DJ rig.

The crossover built into the PRX618S-XLF is set at 90Hz.  This will give you lots of definition and thump coming from the low mids of the DSR115's.

I would expect this rig to cover ~400 indoors and about half that outdoors.  When I say "cover", I mean that it will move clothing at the kick hits from across the dance area.

Covering larger crowds outside at higher SPL generally requires something more elaborate than this simple system and I would recommend that you contract a pro sound professional to handle this kind of a gig.  Besides, if you are doing 400-2000 people outside, there should be budget enough to pay to rent a good system and someone that knows how to do it right.

You should be able to audition the system I am proposing (at least 2 tops over 2 subs) at pretty much any guitar center.  You may find that you only need to tops and 2 subs which would lower your price, but I would be sure to realize that a larger space than what you will get at GC is going to suck up the sound way more than you might think.

Go give it a listen and let us know what you think.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »

Hi there,

Thanks in advance

Ben

First of all, 4-6 JBL Eons (tops) or anything equivalent will sound terrible. Do a search in this forum for "comb filtering" to find out why.  Be aware that most MI boxes (that exist in the price range you're comfortable with) tend to have 90 degree coverage angles (e.g., the JBL PRX tops). That means that you should only use one cabinet unless:

1) you're doing "wall of sound" mixes (which you're not, if you're DJ'ing)
2) you're shooting for 160-180 degree coverage.

Better to find some speakers that have 60-75 degree coverage if you intend to splay  or cross-fire them to get 120-degree coverage (which is usually good enough for the  types of shows you mention in a later post). My big gripe with 90-degree boxes is that they tend to sacrifice distance for width and run out of "ooomp" in the HF within a short distance.

I've bought some JBL PRX 625 cabinets for my "B" rig. Out of four cabinets, I've already blown up three of them (within 8 hours of operation). I love JBL and Crown, but it will take a lot of experience with the repaired speakers (just got them back two days ago) before I'll ever consider buying PRX gear again. I spent a lot of time trying to decide between the JBL PRX line and the QSC KW series. Finally decided on the PRX on the basis of weight; now I wish I'd gotten the KW cabinets. Lots of people tell me how great the PRX cabinets are, but between my problems with the PRX 625 and some problems one of my sound guys has had with his PRX 635 cabinets, I'm a little gun shy of the PRX line at this time.

You might look at the QSC KW153 tops. They're 3-way (so they'll sound a little better than 2-way) and if you shop around you can probably fit four of those in your budget. They have a 75 degree coverage, so you can splay two of them for 120-150 degrees coverage. If that's too wide, consider the KW152 (2-way) with a 60-degree coverage.

For subs, I've heard the PRX 618s-XLF cabinets kick butt, but then I believe they're still using the same Crown amp that I've been blowing up in my PRX 615 cabinets. Of course, the QSC KW 181 is a possible choice, as well.  However, four KW 153 cabinets and four subs will certainly be pushing $10K without cables, mixing board, and other such stuff.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:29:54 AM »

In my personal experience, the PRX618S-XLF has been perfect with no issues at all.  That being said, I am one person and hardly statistically significant.

What is statistically significant is the data pro audio shops I have heard from that give a ringing endorsement of the PRX line with respect to reliability.  I know many forum members and local bands who have used the XLF's with out a hiccup myself.

As for the tops, you are not going to need 4 for your purposes, and even if you did, the "comb filtering" discussed in this thread isn't as serious as everyone makes it out to be.  In a real room, there are WAY more substansive reflection modes that you have no control over which effect the sound quality and volume in different positions in the room.  Worrying about comb filtering in a club environment is an exercise in science IMHO.

As I stated, not very many people will dispute the use of the XLF subs.  You should go hear the tops yourself and see which ones you like.  The QSC's are good as well, but lack the punch of the DSR's and tend to get harsh at higher volumes.  You can tame this out with eq, so other factors may be more important.  You won't get the pop from the QSC that you will from the DSR.  Just listen to them and see.  Another factor to consider between these two speakers is the price.  The QSC's are more expensive and IMHO don't offer any sonic difference to justify their price in comparison to the DSR.

I have a pair of DSR112's and can tell you that even if you stupidly leave them in solid clip all night long, you wont hurt a thing (I have stupidly done this myself on accident). They are solidly limited and protected internally to prevent damage (as are the XLF's).

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »

The SxA 250's I have heard.  They are a really smooth sounding top (perhaps one of the best sounding HF-MF responses I have heard in this price range), but don't have quite the bottom punch of the DSR115..... good stuff though, and light to boot.

I haven't heard the 760's, but they appear a little weak on paper (SPL and -10db frequency response points).  If you are planning on doing hip hop, not sure that you wouldn't be better off with a single pair of PRX618S-XLF's than 4 of these.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:46:15 PM by Mac Kerr »

john dunne

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »

Apologies for a now deleted non-allowed post- i forgot the rules here differ than other forums. 

The SxA 250s' are very nice tops and agree that the 760s are not the hardest hitting or lowest punch if that's a necessity but they do outdo  most at that price point  with their musicality so horses for courses- probably not for your needs.

The SxA 250's I have heard.  They are a really smooth sounding top (perhaps one of the best sounding HF-MF responses I have heard in this price range), but don't have quite the bottom punch of the DSR115..... good stuff though, and light to boot.

I haven't heard the 760's, but they appear a little weak on paper (SPL and -10db frequency response points).  If you are planning on doing hip hop, not sure that you wouldn't be better off with a single pair of PRX618S-XLF's than 4 of these.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:54:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.