ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any body know of a low cost laser that isn't a DJ epileptic-shock-strobe-fest?  (Read 4379 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

I want to project a "starfield" on a ballroom ceiling. Green dots would be OK, but blue or violet would be better. Ideally I'd like it to look random, like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JyjrsfF9KI

But without the "clouds". I like how the dots are randomized and move at a different pace instead of all at once. Of course If they didn't move at all that would probably be even better.

Does anyone have a product suggestion for this?

Thanks,
-=Tim=-
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

The ADJ Galaxian and Galaxian Royale have been well-recieved every place I've installed them. If you use DMX you can stop them completely or control the speed and rotation.
The Royale was a bit disappointing in that the blue doesn't really keep up with the green (neither does the red in the cheaper original) for DF use, but both are actually pretty cool for cheap fixtures.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA

+1 on the Galaxian line. I own two different models and they have been well worth the cost, and trouble free for several years of combat audio/lighting duties.

Ray Cerwinski

You are looking for a Bliss Light. While a colored starfield is available, green stars against a blue nebula cloud is the most common and cheapest. The nebula cloud is dimmable via a knob on the back and if you open the unit up you can remove power from the motor assembly so the diffraction disc doesn't rotate, thus preventing movement of the stars.

http://www.blisslights.com/

Full disclosure: I am an authorized Bliss Light dealer.
Ray Cerwinski

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

You are looking for a Bliss Light. While a colored starfield is available, green stars against a blue nebula cloud is the most common and cheapest. The nebula cloud is dimmable via a knob on the back and if you open the unit up you can remove power from the motor assembly so the diffraction disc doesn't rotate, thus preventing movement of the stars.

http://www.blisslights.com/

Full disclosure: I am an authorized Bliss Light dealer.

Thanks, Ray

That looks like what I want. The question now is how bright is it? I'm projecting onto a 30 foot ceiling. The light would be on a stand so it might have a 20 foot throw to the near side to about 50-60 feet to the far side. Probably 50 feet in width.

How many would you use to cover this approximately 50x50 space from one side?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ray Cerwinski

We have a number of the BL15 in our rental/production inventory and for a 15mW diode, they do an excellent job in both the brightness and coverage departments. The BL50, while marketed as a larger coverage area, uses the same exact lens. This enables a larger area by moving the fixture further from the projection surface while compensating for lost intensity by stepping up to a 50mw diode.

I'd use 3-4 for maximum, overlapping coverage. You can probably "get by" with just two. They will need to be at least 6' or higher so people aren't getting hit directly in the face by the "stars"

The photos in the link below show a total of 4 BL15's used to cover a space approximately 75'x50.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.215050185229387.53685.164597190274687&type=3
Ray Cerwinski

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.