ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX  (Read 39670 times)

Brian Larson

JBL STX
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Re: JBL STX
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

Correct... SRX700 has been discontinued.

The question will be... How much of an increase in price? And when do these start shipping?
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »

Does this mean SRX is on its way out?

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/new_stx800_series_portable_loudspeakers_from_jbl_professional_at_prolight_s/

This has been discussed in the Lounge and over at SFN, too.  Most of the SRX series is destined for EOL mostly because of the price of neodymium.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »

I was told they were going away, but not until about July August time frame. I'm very sad now please excuse my weepyness.

And here they are.
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=104&MID=3

I had to come back and edit this post. I noted that the 12" and 15" monitors are using neo drivers, but that the rest of the line is now using "Super vented gap" drivers. JBL does not call out the driver types. I wouldn't put it past JBL to use their 2242H drivers in the subs.
I have been using these drivers in the 551P-TAC subs for a few years now. I thought the 2242 might go away at some point, but I see them still being sold, and now for a higher price, about$1150 ea.. They are an excellent driver and have no problem keeping up with my 725s or 718s when used side by side. Actually, they have slightly better low end response than their neo counterpart the 2268 and appear to sound more musical when compared side by side.

The STX835 intriuges me. JBLs CMCD technology is just great and all of the JBL boxes I have heard using this technology sound as good as anything I've heard. The 835 looks very much like a close twin of the VP7315, which if you've heard, then you have to admit it's one great sounding box.

Enough I guess. It was only a matter of time before my beloved SRX were replaced.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:58:46 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Larson

JBL STX
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:37 PM »

Specifics aside, they look very flashy; like something you would find in a Guitar Center. I'm not a huge fan of Harman trying to "bedazzle" all of their products. These would be hard to pull off at a corporate gig.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

Looks like the newer subs take a hit in low frequency extension. 3dB down on the SRX728 was listed at 33Hz with a -10 at 27Hz. The new ones are -3dB @ 45Hz and and -10dB @ 32Hz. Not a welcome change IMHO.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »

I was told they were going away, but not until about July August time frame. I'm very sad now please excuse my weepyness.

And here they are.
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=104&MID=3

I had to come back and edit this post. I noted that the 12" and 15" monitors are using neo drivers, but that the rest of the line is now using "Super vented gap" drivers. JBL does not call out the driver types. I wouldn't put it past JBL to use their 2242H drivers in the subs.
I have been using these drivers in the 551P-TAC subs for a few years now. I thought the 2242 might go away at some point, but I see them still being sold, and now for a higher price, about$1150 ea.. They are an excellent driver and have no problem keeping up with my 725s or 718s when used side by side. Actually, they have slightly better low end response than their neo counterpart the 2268 and appear to sound more musical when compared side by side.

The STX835 intriuges me. JBLs CMCD technology is just great and all of the JBL boxes I have heard using this technology sound as good as anything I've heard. The 835 looks very much like a close twin of the VP7315, which if you've heard, then you have to admit it's one great sounding box.

Enough I guess. It was only a matter of time before my beloved SRX were replaced.
Well on a positive note the price for SRX used will be good for alot of people Bob.
The 2441 was a fantastic compression driver but it got discontinued.   
I have a set of JBL Cabaret 15"/1" cabs that still sound really great but they were discontinued as well
I have a bunch of old Altec stuff that still will out perform alot of gear out there but we all know Altecs demise.
I have come to the conclusion that I really need a large pole shed to store and to play with all those old toys.......
:)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »

The VP7315 has a front loaded 15".  The STX835 is using 2 15s behind the HF/MF horn; I the new STX had the VP format.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »

Look at how small the HF horn is at the 825. Where do they cross those 15's. at 2KHz?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »

The VP7315 has a front loaded 15".  The STX835 is using 2 15s behind the HF/MF horn; I the new STX had the VP format.
Understood. The comparison is more toward the 3 way box using CMCD technology.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.