ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Box rattles  (Read 2524 times)

Tshepo Mahloane

Box rattles
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »

Hi guys,

My first build ever, I made a horn loaded cab with the sub concealed like the Tuba 60s and Cerwin Vega TS-42s.  The build went well and loads of silicon was used to prevent any leaks.  Our biggest mistake was in the design itself as it does not have an access point to the sub, so the sub is "barried" behind all the supawood.  Carpeting, wood glue and silicon were used to close any leaks under the "lip" of the driver and then screwed in tightly with 8 screws.

The problem now is that after the build we tested the box and it rattled a lot.  We then added a cross brace and this helped a bit but there is still a whole lot of rattling.  You actual hear the rattling over the bass.  The only time the isn't rattling is when I connect it via the active crossover and limit it to very low frequencies.  And even then the volume has to be low.  The depth of the bass at those low volumes is breath taking and I just wish it could do the same at a higher volume without all the rattles interfering.

How can I stop or reduce these rattles?  Can the rattles be reduced without breaking the box apart?

J. Taylor Webb

Re: Box rattles
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »

Hi guys,

My first build ever, I made a horn loaded cab with the sub concealed like the Tuba 60s and Cerwin Vega TS-42s.  The build went well and loads of silicon was used to prevent any leaks.  Our biggest mistake was in the design itself as it does not have an access point to the sub, so the sub is "barried" behind all the supawood.  Carpeting, wood glue and silicon were used to close any leaks under the "lip" of the driver and then screwed in tightly with 8 screws.

The problem now is that after the build we tested the box and it rattled a lot.  We then added a cross brace and this helped a bit but there is still a whole lot of rattling.  You actual hear the rattling over the bass.  The only time the isn't rattling is when I connect it via the active crossover and limit it to very low frequencies.  And even then the volume has to be low.  The depth of the bass at those low volumes is breath taking and I just wish it could do the same at a higher volume without all the rattles interfering.

How can I stop or reduce these rattles?  Can the rattles be reduced without breaking the box apart?
Oh man...
OK, to start off with, lets be sure that I understand you.
The cab that you built, are you saying that it has no access for the installed driver?  :o
The fact that there is no access for the driver, once completed, really might seem to indicate that this might not be a well engineered, or well designed cabinet.

That said, can you tell more about the design:
Can you tell us where you got this design, and what it is called?
Is it a folded horn? Some other type of horn? If so what is the basic pattern or layout of the panels? What method and materials were used to attach and assemble the panels to the sides?
What is the width of the cabinet? How thick, and what type is the material that it is made from?
How many panels, how long is the total path of the horn?

There should be bracing between the panels in a folded horn, unless it's very narrow; describe the bracing if you can. 
More information is needed for sure, and a drawing or pics would be a real help, maybe the only way to understand what you've got.

Taylor Webb

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Box rattles
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.