ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike, piano and skype  (Read 3973 times)

Andreas Michael

Mike, piano and skype
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »

Dear All.

I hiope this is the right forum for this - if not apologies!

I am trying to set up a connection for my wife so that she can sing/talk and play piano while skyping with a student overseas. I have: a 24" imac with Logic Express 9, a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 that connects to the keyboard via midi, a Shure SM58 that connects to the Audio Kontrol box mike input. I can get the mike to work through skype, but not the keyboard. I know Logic can have both mike and piano record at the same time as I've done it before. I think I have got too many options for input and output (Logic, Spyke, Apple system prefs) that I can't figure out how to do it. There has to be a way, right? What am I doing wrong? It's been two days of me in one room and her in another going "hello hello?"
BTW, I posted a question a couple of years back and you all were so helpful in solving the problem almost immediately - thanks!
Regards,
Andreas.

Taylor Phillips

Re: Mike, piano and skype
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

I believe you need something to convert the midi to audio before it interfaces with the computer.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »

Just use a mic to pick up both the voice and the keyboard.  Get a nice acoustic balance between the two and you'll be fine.  KISS principle applied.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »

...that connects to the keyboard via midi

Why is the keyboard connected through MIDI?  DO you want to be able to track/record the exact keys and intonation your wife is hitting on the keys?

Is the keyboard a MIDI controller or is it a standalone keyboard?  If it's standalone, you should be able to take a mono output and run it into the second audio input on the interface.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Andreas Michael

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

It is just set up that way. I think I did try that already, just using the audio outs, but it didn't work. I'll try it again today  :D

Why is the keyboard connected through MIDI?  DO you want to be able to track/record the exact keys and intonation your wife is hitting on the keys?

Is the keyboard a MIDI controller or is it a standalone keyboard?  If it's standalone, you should be able to take a mono output and run it into the second audio input on the interface.

Joe Breher

• Front Range, CO, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »

I think you are omitting some crucial details. You indicate the keyboard is connected to the computer through the interface via MIDI. What is the MIDI accomplishing for you? Is she employing a software instrument running on the computer to generate the piano sound?

How does the mic audio make it to Skype? Are you routing it through Logic, or is it connected directly?

I like Dick's answer. I'd just adjust the volume of the piano, as heard by your wife, to be about the same level as her speaking voice. Then just use to mic built into the iMac to capture what is happening in the room. Pipe that to Skype. Done deal.

Guy Luckert

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

I like Dick's answer. I'd just adjust the volume of the piano, as heard by your wife, to be about the same level as her speaking voice. Then just use to mic built into the iMac to capture what is happening in the room. Pipe that to Skype. Done deal.

I've seen a lot of guitar lessons done exactly like that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.