ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ IEM Advice!  (Read 6644 times)

Freddie Martin

DJ IEM Advice!
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »

I DJ regulary at clubs and I am soon to invest in a nice pair of in-ear monitors for a more detailed monitoring environment, the main problem i have mixing in clubs is obviously the unpredictable monitoring situation inside the booth but also hearing the bass properly when using my headphones. With the noise from the booth monitor and overall ambient noise smothering it, I cannot make accurate decisions on what I want my mix to be If i don't know the bass (groove) will fit.

I will be getting some in-ears that will reduce levels by -26dB.
The two models I have decided between are JH13 and JH16 IEM's.
The difference between these two models is the extra bass (in the JH16's), but the main question I want to ask is:
Would the JH13's provide enough bass to monitor at resonable levels without the need to increase volume?
Has anyone had any experience with in-ear monitors in loud club environments, is it easy to hear the bass when there is a -26dB reduction?

The last thing i want to do is purchase the 13's, and have the same problem as before, where I was turning my headphones up to undesirable levels to monitor the bass.

Any advice appreciated! :)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: DJ IEM Advice!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »

I DJ regulary at clubs and I am soon to invest in a nice pair of in-ear monitors for a more detailed monitoring environment, the main problem i have mixing in clubs is obviously the unpredictable monitoring situation inside the booth but also hearing the bass properly when using my headphones. With the noise from the booth monitor and overall ambient noise smothering it, I cannot make accurate decisions on what I want my mix to be If i don't know the bass (groove) will fit.

The difference between these two models is the extra bass (in the JH16's), but the main question I want to ask is:
Would the JH13's provide enough bass to monitor at resonable levels without the need to increase volume?
Has anyone had any experience with in-ear monitors in loud club environments, is it easy to hear the bass when there is a -26dB reduction?

The last thing i want to do is purchase the 13's, and have the same problem as before, where I was turning my headphones up to undesirable levels to monitor the bass.

well, i have NO experience dj-ing in loud clubs.  but i have lots of experience with IEMs.  so hear's my take on it.

while the IEMs provide -26 db reduction, it is not even at all frequencies.  this is true of ALL IEMs.  the very low bass [like what's coming from the subs] is largely 'felt' by your body rather than heard by your ears.  so even if you have the IEMs in, a good bit of the low end in the room is gonna still be perceived.  that being said, it will certainly be a much better situation than headphones [which have almost NO isolation].  and you should be able to monitor at more reasonable levels.

couple of practical issues.  custom IEMs are not as easy to put in and take out quickly as a pair of headphones is to slap on and off.  it's this awkward twisty motion that you can learn how to do, but it still is more of a pain.  there is also very little to protect you from very loud sounds coming from the cue system of your mixer.  and IEMs can get VERY loud.  just stuff to think about.

i don't know if IEMs are the way to go for your situation.  i do know you've picked a couple of VERY expensive possibilities.  both are GREAT units, but frankly, you'll get the same isolation from much cheaper IEMs.  given that this is kinda uncharted territory, you might want to try some cheaper customs to see if the idea will even work for you.  then if you want to step up to high dollar units, you can do so in a more informed way.  for instance, i think you might ultimately be happier with futuresonics drivers.  they use dynamic drivers and deliver far more bass 'feel' than any other IEMs i know of.  and they are a bit cheaper than the JH units as well.

ideas for far cheaper alternatives, at least to start, are LiveWires [www.mylivewires.com] and 1964ears [www.1964ears.com].  these are in the 250-400 range and might be a better place to start.  if you decided to get the nicer ones later these can always be backups and/or iPod headphones...

good luck
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tracy Garner

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »

if you are a beatmixer, don't get the wireless IEM as the delay more than you would want.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »

if you are a beatmixer, don't get the wireless IEM as the delay more than you would want.

Wireless RF links do not produce a delay. 
An analogue to digital conversion or digital to analogue would produce delay (latency) but that would only exist in a digital system.  This delay would typically be about 2.4 milliseconds at 44.1/48kHz sample rate or about 1.2 milliseconds at an 88.2/96kHz sample rate.  You'd most likely have at least as much delay to the main speakers if you are using a digital board or if the sound system has a digital speaker processor in it.  If you have a digital board that links via analogue to a DSP speaker processor, those latencies add and compound the delay.
The amount of delay that you are talking about is the equivalent of moving your ears between 1' and 2.5' relative to your main speakers as your mixing.  Completely inconsequential.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »

I DJ regulary

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

You could get the buttkicker platform to stand on if you're looking to "feel" the bass more than you'll get out of IEM's.

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »

[This is what I use, Club or otherwise for over 10 years (Replaced once when I sat on it) it works just fine for me and the Bonus mic is a Godsent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/289430.jpg

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.