ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Subs blowing out  (Read 7129 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Subs blowing out
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »

several years ago on this forum, when the MA3600 amps were popular, a lot of folks had problems blowing subs with them. Some said that they moved up to the MA5000 with the same subs and stopped having problems.

That is correct. I looked for old posts but could not find them.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:41:26 PM »

Simple answer, which you already know: not enough rig for the gig, although I know of several local sound guys (kinda) that think it is standard procedure to toast subs twice a year. I find any regularly occurring failure unacceptable.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mark Oakley

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »

Are the subs spread out (2 boxes per side)? Is it possible to group them together in front of the stage for some low freqency coupling?

-Mark

www.oakleyaudio.ca
Oakley Audio

Marty McCann

• Meridian, Mississippi USA
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »

When there are no signs of mechanical failure, no unraveling of voice coil turns, and no discoloration of copper, the usual culprit is due to transient clipping that actually hits the Peak DC voltage rails of the amplifier.  At this point a turn in the coil opens like a fuse, thus no continuity.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »

Hey all,

The background on the rig in the big room in the club I work at: In a 700 cap room, there are only 4 EV Deltamax 18" subs for the entire room being powered by a MA3600vz. When I first got in there, the drivers were being blown about every year. Two years in, we replaced the drivers with Peavey Lowmax (2400W program, 1200W continuous rated) to help get a bit more life out of them. About 1.75 years later, we've blown them again. What was interesting to me is that first the two left 18"s blew, and about two shows later, the right two 18"s went. Perhaps it doesn't mean anything, though.

I wasn't terribly surprised about this, figuring that this is just another case of "not enough rig for the gig." The Macrotech was recently serviced, so I would presume that they would have tested it for issues of DC offset before letting it leave the bench. Is there any possible reason you see that may have evaded me?
This is really a pretty simple fix...get more subs.   Turn it down

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 10:38:55 PM »

I recall at least a couple of posts (from back when I started here) from folks who solved their sub blowing problems by replacing their MA3600 with an MA5000.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »

Hey all,

The background on the rig in the big room in the club I work at: In a 700 cap room, there are only 4 EV Deltamax 18" subs for the entire room being powered by a MA3600vz. When I first got in there, the drivers were being blown about every year. Two years in, we replaced the drivers with Peavey Lowmax (2400W program, 1200W continuous rated) to help get a bit more life out of them. About 1.75 years later, we've blown them again. What was interesting to me is that first the two left 18"s blew, and about two shows later, the right two 18"s went. Perhaps it doesn't mean anything, though.

I wasn't terribly surprised about this, figuring that this is just another case of "not enough rig for the gig." The Macrotech was recently serviced, so I would presume that they would have tested it for issues of DC offset before letting it leave the bench. Is there any possible reason you see that may have evaded me?
Make sure you have your input sensitivity switch set properly.. go to page
15 of this pdf document and follow the directions.  I am not claiming this to be your answer but I am saying follow the directions.

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/125113.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.