ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the compression drivers in the JBL MRX525 cabs  (Read 37258 times)

Richard Stringer

Changing the compression drivers in the JBL MRX525 cabs
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »

Hi ya guys, my friend asked me this morning about changing the compression drivers in his MRX525 cabs because the horns can't keep up with the 15" drivers, just like I was told on here and another forum, so he's thinking about putting different compression drivers in the cabs. He's using a Crown XTI4000 to power the MRX525 cabs and didn't run the system into clipping at all so he used a slight eq boost of 2db in the 1.5-3khz range because the compression drivers just can't give enough spl output to keep up with the 15" low frequency drivers and the horns blew. He's using 4 JBL SRX718S, I told hime to get 2 SRX728S but he likes the single 18" subs instead. He really doesn't wanna have to sell them because he can't afford to buy mid/highs anymore expensive than the MRX525 cabs.

Are there any drivers you guys might reccomend which would fit onto the horn flares of the MRX525? The 2408H compression drivers screw into the horn flare. We had a look at maybe a JBL 2447 compression driver but we saw it's a bolt on one. He was thinking about putting a Celestion CDX1-1746 in the MRX525 cabs but i'm not sure that they screw onto the MRX525 horn flare, the mouth of the Celestion might be too big.

Paul O'Brien

Re: Changing the compression drivers in the JBL MRX525 cabs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »

That 1" exit driver is available all over the web for $130.. which is incredibly cheap for anything with an Orange label on it so it can't be any good.. JBL would charge a lot more if it was. Yes I'm being serious. I don't know why manufacturers offer dual 15's with a 1" CD.. it's a guaranteed blown driver waiting to happen. The right solution here is to repair the cabs with OEM replacement voice coils or drivers(to maintain product value) and then trade them in on SRX cabs or something else with a proper 2" exit CD. There are lots of other 1" exit comps out there that could be used in this cab but I don't know that they would be any more durable in this application, all of those with decent high end extension require the same 1.5khz or higher crossover and that means they can't handle much power in that freq range.
Paul O

Richard Stringer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »

I'm really not sure he can afford to sell his MRX525 and get SRX tops, hid dad bough him the SRX718S subs he's got, would it even be an option to use Peavey RX22 compression drivers in his MRX525? I've had a look at the specs and they at least look capable of being able to take more punishment than the JBL 2408H can. Here's the pdf of the RX22 :

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/spec/661364.pdf

I know it's a not so smooth soundin g compression driver but at least it can take more power and shouldn't blow.

Paul O'Brien

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »

Well you got nothing to lose at this point, I'd suggest hanging on to the JBL drivers and picking up some replacement diaphrams to install when the cabs are upgraded/traded/sold, as stated they will be worth more with a full complement of factory drivers.
Paul O

Jeremy Wynn

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »

check into emminence, I had the older version of the same speaker and had the same problem... I replaced the JBL's with emminence but don't remember the model. They sounded alot better and I never blew a driver again. i sold them to a dj and he is still using them with no problems...Look on the internet and give emminence a call, I'm sure they could reccomend some for you.

Richard Stringer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:54:18 AM »

Eminence? I didn't Eminence were very good, I know Celestion are good because i've used Celestion a lot in the past and it's always been excellent, plus Celestion compression drivers have always sounded so smooth, even when run hard they never seem to hurt your ears at all.

Luke Robinson

• http://Www.audio-gods.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »

Most of the components inside of a lot of the lower to midrange cabs from many manufacturers are made by eminence and just labeled with whom ever's logo. Eminence makes some great stuff at an even better price. is it the best? maybe not, but I think it keeps up with celestian.

I have been building some single 12" boxes, and tried many drivers from B&C, RCF, Eminence, etc. and the B&C woofer was the choice for low end, but the Eminence psd2002 was the choice for the Hi Freq even over others that were 3 times the price.

Richard Stringer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »

I checked out the Eminence psd2002 and it's not a screw on fitting, it's a bolt fitting so it won't go into the MRX525 horn flare.

Luke Robinson

• http://Www.audio-gods.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »

they make the 2002 in both types the picture on the site is a bolt on but they are available as a screw on. that being said, it might not be the right driver for your box, i tried one in a older srx wedge just to see if i could get by with it until i could get a replacement, and it sounded awful, waaaay too bright but that was only a single 12" not a dual 15".  They are only around $50 so they could be worth a shot.

Richard Stringer

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »

I don't mind the sound being bright as long as the sound quality is good, because brightness can be eq'd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.