ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dB question  (Read 2773 times)

Zeid Fanous

dB question
« on: June 07, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »

hi guys. i have a question on dB levels.if a speaker has 99dB sensitivity,if i want to calculate the maximum SPL,i should add the sensitivity to the dB produced by the amplifier used,so if i use a 100 watt amplifier,it will produce 20 dB so the maximum spl of the speaker would add up to 119dB..........did i get it right???
yesterday i was at a wedding and they used the d & B audiotechnik M2 monitor,on their websie its Maximum SPL is 143dB.i myself was comparing it to the FBT PSR monitor which has maximum spl of 129dB.now the best sound possible is arround 105-115dB right.so can i use the fbt PSR monitor at 110dB with burning up th speaker.i think now i understand that i have to try them.but how do u know that this speaker will work comfortably at 110db.does the maximum spl make a difference,if both will work comfortably at 110db?
as always,thank you for being patient with me

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: dB question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:16:53 AM »

Zeid Fanous wrote on Sat, 06 June 2009 22:49

hi guys. i have a question on dB levels.if a speaker has 99dB sensitivity,if i want to calculate the maximum SPL,i should add the sensitivity to the dB produced by the amplifier used,so if i use a 100 watt amplifier,it will produce 20 dB so the maximum spl of the speaker would add up to 119dB..........did i get it right???

A speaker's maximum SPL capability isn't related to its sensitivity.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:03:43 AM »

Zeid Fanous wrote on Sun, 07 June 2009 06:49

... Does the maximum SPL make a difference, if both will work comfortably at 110db?

Well, the thing is, that 110dB isn't always enough. To push that a step further : is it ever ?

Quote:

as always,thank you for being patient with me

What do you mean 'as always' ? It's your first post  Razz
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Zeid Fanous

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »

this is not my first post.my first one was removed cause i broke the rules by only typing my first name....stupid me Razz

lets say i use 6 FBT PSR 212(for a wedding reception that can hold 150 persons),each of them have a maximum SPL of 125dB and sensitivity of 99dB.would i be able to use them at 105-115db for say 5 hours??this is my dilemma

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »

Zeid Fanous wrote on Sun, 07 June 2009 05:09

this is not my first post.my first one was removed cause i broke the rules by only typing my first name....stupid me Razz

lets say i use 6 FBT PSR 212(for a wedding reception that can hold 150 persons),each of them have a maximum SPL of 125dB and sensitivity of 99dB.would i be able to use them at 105-115db for say 5 hours??this is my dilemma

Hello Zeid,

In short, yes, you should be able to have their output at 105-115dB for five hours. Make certain you choose an appropriate amplifier to drive each Monitor.

What kind of wedding music requires 115dB from a monitor?

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Zeid Fanous

dB question
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »

the guys who installed the speakers for the wedding said that the speakers will be at 110dB(quote"inorder to hear the cleanest loudest sound");am looking at the fbt psr monitors and am thinking are the M2's worth the extra cash if both will deliver good sound.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »

Zeid Fanous wrote on Sun, 07 June 2009 07:32

the guys who installed the speakers for the wedding said that the speakers will be at 110dB(quote"inorder to hear the cleanest loudest sound");am looking at the fbt psr monitors and am thinking are the M2's worth the extra cash if both will deliver good sound.

Hello,

In the world of Audio reinforcement there are trade-offs in regards to comparing different pieces of gear.

There are many good Monitor manufacturers and models on the market. Many things such as intended use, weight, size, pricing, and their individual response/output, can be critical in determining a suitable candidate for purchase.

I would hesitate to follow anyone's advice if their sole criteria is maximum output level.

Good Luck,
   Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 07 June 2009 02:16

Zeid Fanous wrote on Sat, 06 June 2009 22:49

A speaker's maximum SPL capability isn't related to its sensitivity.

-a

????  Care to explain? Rolling Eyes
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.