ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A+H MixWiz3 16:2 or Soundcraft GB2R16 for small touring band  (Read 2228 times)

zach colton

A+H MixWiz3 16:2 or Soundcraft GB2R16 for small touring band
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »

These two boards are about the same price and are very similar.  the MixWiz has onboard effects and so i could use those until i could get some outboard stuff, so I'm leaning that way, but i'm not sure.  the situation is a band with 4 seperate monitor mixes (aux 1-4), and eventually we'll add some outboard reverb for the drums and vocals, gates/compressors for everything, but for right now we just need to upgrade our situation before the summer from our combo unit which is crapping out (soundcraft gigrac)

some other questions:
Anyone familiar with these two mixers feel free to compare them.  Also anyone familiar with the MixWiz, how are the onboard effects?  It says they are fed from aux 5 and 6 but also into aux 1 through 4?  so in other words the onboard fx will end up in the monitors also?  i was a little confused by that.

also, what mains would you buy if your amp was rated 800 watts @ 4ohms, 500watts @ 8 ohms per side?  

thanks everybody first post for me!  glad I found this place

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
Re: A+H MixWiz3 16:2 or Soundcraft GB2R16 for small touring band
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:13:45 PM »

I have both a GB4 (32ch) and a mix wiz. I like them both. The onboard FX on the mix wiz are routable to the first four auxes but you do not have to send them there. I would probably go with the mix wiz. It is less expensive (I think) and I like the EQ(the low mid goes down to 45Hz) and the internal FX. The GB2s EQ is more responsive as far as I can tell, and the pre-amps sound a little better to my ear.

Regards
    Brandon
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Thu, 03 April 2008 16:13

The GB2s [snip] pre-amps sound a little better to my ear.

How can you tell? Have you ever just taken a mic into an input on each console, and a direct out into a studio monitor, and compared just the preamps?

Or are you just listening to the entire console?

I suspect the latter, and if so, how can you tell that the "preamps sound better" ?

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:23 PM »

Well thats a good point, I was listening to the whole console. I was mostly commenting on how the gain nob affects the signal tonally though. I guess the GB colors the sound more to my liking than the mix wiz, thats not to say I think the Mix Wiz sounds bad though.

Regards,
  Brandon
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Shane Smith

• http://www.santoria.ie
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »

Mixwiz is a great desk, does everything you need it to do and won't break the bank either. Bit of a no brainer really. Smile
School is never out.

Chris Gruber

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:02:45 AM »

I agree on the MixWizard. Bought one recently and love it. the onboard FX are pretty good for on board and they are edit-able through midi connection. Really clean sound and next to no hiss. Responsive EQ with the sweeps in just the right place for my taste. For the money you can't go wrong. I found mine new for $850.
-Chris
Arthur Audio

"It never ceases to amaze me how many sound guys think the measure of their work is solely defined by whether or not their subs are capable of sonically vaporizing squirrels from 20 meters."

Paul E Fenelon

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:37 AM »

Chris Gruber wrote on Fri, 04 April 2008 15:02

I agree on the MixWizard. Bought one recently and love it. the onboard FX are pretty good for on board and they are edit-able through midi connection. Really clean sound and next to no hiss. Responsive EQ with the sweeps in just the right place for my taste. For the money you can't go wrong. I found mine new for $850.

If you can get a new Mixwiz for $850 then that is pretty good. The GB2-12R looks like a good option to me at just under $1K. 16 GB mic-pre's, two subgroups with inserts and XLR outs for all aux 1-4 with inserts. I like the sound of the GB8 and this desk is just a smaller version.

I would have many applications for the 8 mono channel mixwiz (with two stereo line channels) but at $100 less than the 16 channel version it is an absolute no-brainer.

Regards
Paul
ADR Audio - KV2

East Coast Touring Services
Australia, since 1992

www.adraudio.com.au

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.