ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inserted dbx 166xl output level  (Read 2358 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

Inserted dbx 166xl output level
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:40 PM »

I insert a dbx 166xl for gating and compressing a kick drum, as well as feeding a butt shaker.  Since the 166xl has XLR and TRS outs, I can do both (thank you Bink), but I need advice on the output level on the 166xl.  The GL2400 channel inserts operate at 0dBu, the 166xl offers -10dBU or +4dBu.  I've been using the +4 setting, but the drummer complains the resulting second signal is too hot for his butt shaker amp, so I think I need to leave the 166xl output setting alone and use a pad to step down the signal to the butt shaker.  Is this the correct approach?  Thanks in advance.  Kirby

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: Inserted dbx 166xl output level
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:19:43 PM »

Pro Gear - +4dBu

Edit - oops - Brain freeze - insert

- Take a direct out from the kick channel to another channel on your board  - and then give that to your drummer.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Kirby Yarbrough

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »

Tony, thanks for the reply.  If I understand your question, the issue is in feeding two sources: the return on the channel insert and the second signal to the butt shaker.  I can reduce the output gain level on the 166xl, but I'm just reducing the gain increase I apply to compensate for the gain reduction resulting from the compression.

[edit] The other data point is that according to my read of the GL2400 schematic, the direct out is pre-insert.  The drummer wants the gated compressed signal to reduce the "flutter" he gets with just a mic signal.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »

Kirby Yarbrough wrote on Thu, 28 December 2006 14:31

Tony, thanks for the reply.   I can reduce the output gain level on the 166xl, but I'm just reducing the gain increase I apply to compensate for the gain reduction resulting from the compression.

Gain is gain. The Output pot on the compressor is just a gain knob like any other. (yes it lets you make up gain that you might have lost from compression)

You want 2 different levels of gain from the same output.

There many ways to go around this -

- See earlier (modified) post - Direct Out to another channel (gives you gain control)
- Use an aux out (the drummers monitors) and insert the correct crossover to derive the butt shaker output from the drummers monitor mix - (Or ButtKicker's amp if that is the brand you are using)
- A Pad - (if you insist on using the compressors output - this would be my last choice)
- amp sensitivity (of course you did that already)
- In the real world you would have a monitor console doing this with a separate compressor for drum monitors.

MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »

The -10/+4 switch does not change the gain through the device, it just optimizes things internally.  In most cases all flipping the switch will do is require you to change the comp and gate thresholds to compensate.  The level to his Buttkicker amp won't change.

Doesn't his Buttkicker amp have an input attenuator?

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:26:07 PM »

Perhaps there is something I dont know... but why can't you just turn down the input level on his shaker amp?

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Kirby Yarbrough

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 03:05:09 PM »

First question I asked, and I believed him when he said it was turned down (didn't look myself -- my mistake).  I will look myself next gig with him.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 02:24:24 PM »

I think he might have meant "it's turned down from where I normally set it" but it pays to look yourself.

I can't imagine *any* pro or serious MI grade amp that can't do this.

Good luck, and let us know how it sorts out.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.