ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey CS-800  (Read 27420 times)

Tom Delay

Peavey CS-800
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:26:16 pm »

I'm looking at a Peavey CS-800 amp from the 90's. It's in good condition and i can get it for $150. I'm not going to be able to test it, so i'm wondering what sound quality i can expect. It looks like it could be really useful even for a med. mobile PA, but i'm wondering if that assumption is accurate. Thanks.

Ivan Beaver

Re: Peavey CS-800
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:49:41 pm »

Depending on which model year it is you might can assume that it is HEAVY  (a little over 50lb if I remember correctly).  The DDT limiter circuit is probably one of the best in the industry to prevent clipping.  If it is the older/heavy model it will drive any impedance-although the actual power will start to go down.  In fact the the factory test after a repair is to short the output terminals to ground and then drive it into full limiting untill it heats up and shuts down!  If it comes back on after it cools off, then you did a successfull repair.  I have done it many times.  The tightnes(damping) is not the greatest, but they are generally real workhorses.  Kinda like a timex-takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

If it is working properly, $150 would be a good buy.  The best deal I got on 1 was from a pawn shop for $25.  The saleman said it was broken because it wasn't very loud.  He was plugging a mic directly into the XLR jack!!!  I told him I would take it- as is- and it worked great for many years untill I upgraded.

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 07:55:16 pm »

banananazi wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 18:26

I'm looking at a Peavey CS-800 amp from the 90's. It's in good condition and i can get it for $150. I'm not going to be able to test it, so i'm wondering what sound quality i can expect. It looks like it could be really useful even for a med. mobile PA, but i'm wondering if that assumption is accurate. Thanks.

The sound quality is probably better than you would expect. The real concern I would have is adequate power. First determine the specific model as there were a few different models sold in the '90's. If it's a CS800"X" it will drive 2 ohm loads and put some 1200W into 4 ohm bridged. If it's the earlier CS800_ it will only be set-up to drive 4 ohm minimum loads.

If it's a CS800"S"  it will drive 2 ohms and weight under 25 lbs in 2U, the earlier "X" and "_" are 3U and much heavier. If it's not really '90s it could be 4U and even heavier. Shocked

They should all have DDT which could be useful when dealing with off-topics.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Wade Biery

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 08:48:11 pm »

I have one of these that I still use of some on the littler club things I do here and there. It's bulletproof, sounds decent, (comparison is another old brick SCS MOS-FET amp that has since been renamed to MUSE(?) as an audiophile unit but is basically the same thing) but not great sounding and can be used in a number of setups including that most of them have a crossover thingy built right into them (maybe someone else can confirm this?)

HEAVY AS SHIT!! Be warned...

Some links since I just called Peavey for info -
http://www.peavey.com/support%5Csearchmanuals%5Clist%5Ccs800 s97.cfm
and
http://www.peavey.com/support%5Csearchmanuals%5Clist%5Ccs800 _operating.cfm - which is the older one that I have and you MAY have, it's a little more common I think.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 08:57:05 pm »

banananazi

I picked up my first used Peavey CS 800 at 16, in
the Buy Lines (Pre Ebay days). I was so impressed
with it (I bought it as knock around amp), I bought
a new one at Manny's Music a few months later. Then
bought 6 more on Ebay in 1998.

Retired all of them by 2000 (However, planning to
use two of them for a Summer project)

Sound Quality wise, they sound good, providing
you stay out of the DDT. The biggest complaint
many users have about the CS 800 is the squashing
sound it offers. However, thats the DDT at work,
if you try to overdrive the amp. So that heavily
clipped distorted sound, is not possible, once
the DDT is enabled. If your feeding it a clean
signal, and you try to drive it to 11, it will
stop at 10, and, reduce its gain the more you
try to acomplish volume 11.

At the price point of $150.00 its a great buy.
(They can be had on Ebay for $275.00 - $280.00)

JR

I know the CS 800 (Four Rack Space) uses two
15,000 Capacitors. Are the 3 rack units supplying
the same capacitance? I forgot to check, when I
was cleaning the 3 rack versions, and, was just
wondering.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Elliot

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 09:17:34 pm »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 19:57

JR

I know the CS 800 (Four Rack Space) uses two
15,000 Capacitors. Are the 3 rack units supplying
the same capacitance? I forgot to check, when I
was cleaning the 3 rack versions, and, was just
wondering.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

I was running Mixer Eng but visited Analog Eng during transition from CS800 to CS800X and "know a little bout it". Years later when I was working in Product Management I helped define the CS800S so "I know a little more bout it".

re: the 4U monsters, I have no idea... B4 my time @ PV. If I had to guess I would expect it to be the same as later non "X" CS800 (a 4 ohm min amp). I used to hang out some with Sondermeyer and he didn't make such decisions casually.

... Extra points for any who remember the CS900?

JR

-----

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 09:42:01 pm »

*Elliot Raises His Hands In A Frenzy*

I have one.  Laughing Pre CS 1000. Brownish face plate.
Picked it up on Ebay in 1998. Dude never mentioned
about chopping off the power cord leaving around 7
inches to plug in the outlet  Mad But it works.
Another retired Peavey in the inventory.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Tom Delay

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 11:21:30 pm »

Thanks a lot. Sounds like it'll be a good piece to be hard on.

Geoff Doane

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 06:50:37 am »

JR wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 22:17

re: the 4U monsters, I have no idea... B4 my time @ PV. If I had to guess I would expect it to be the same as later non "X" CS800 (a 4 ohm min amp). I used to hang out some with Sondermeyer and he didn't make such decisions casually.

... Extra points for any who remember the CS900?

JR

Wasn't the CS900 an "enhanced" CS800, later replaced by the CS800X? (You've gotta love brand recognition  Smile ).

I do remember seeing some really old CS800s (advertised in Guitar Player magazine, c. 1976, as the "dollar per watt" amplifier), than didn't have DDT or the octal accessory sockets.

More Peavey trivia:  The CS400, with 200 WPC/4 ohms, and the CS200, a mono version of the CS400.

Geoff

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 07:38:03 am »

The CS900 was going to replace the CS800 with, you guessed it 900 watts. However upon returning from the trade show and looking at dealer response they had ordered huge numbers of the soon to be obsolete CS800 with only modest support for the new bigger CS900.

It didn't take a marketing genius  Shocked to figure out the dealer base wanted to keep the CS800 in the line. The 900 got bumped to 1000W and the CS800 is still made today (I think).

JR

-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.