ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GAUSS 4580 - Info needed  (Read 17038 times)

gary green

GAUSS 4580 - Info needed
« on: September 16, 2004, 03:54:24 pm »

I am trying to find the specs on these 15" speakers to determine if I want use them or not - I just came into a few, but I don't know anything about them .... Thanks in advance!

yam4000vca Jim Gould

Re: GAUSS 4580 - Info needed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 05:50:15 pm »

I can tell you a good bit about Gauss speakers. I have used many types and varieties over the years and in this day and age I would not go near one except for maybe the tweeter that they made for very limited applications.
First of all they are very inefficient. As in you will need a much larger amp to drive them than most any other make of speaker.
They were only a 400watt speaker and by todays standards that is not much. What I had that they replaced were only 200watt but that was the norm for the time.
They are a high distortion speaker. That makes them in my view only to be used at all on low end. The 12s and 10s of Gauss that I have used in mids both lower and upper of the years were a disaster in my view as to the sound.
They are a double spider driver and more expensive than many to recone.
At the time that I did use them I did not have a lot of choice that would handle the power in a frontloaded box and still hang together. In my case they replaced JBL 15s,I think the # was 2205 at the time. I was destroying the JBLs I needed something that would handle the excursion in a smaller 2x15 front loaded box. Due to the way they were made they did hold together well on low end  but I had to double up amps to get the job done.
At this time I had a full range box that was 2x15 2x12 1 2inch and two tweeters. It took me just a week or so of shows to get them off the lower mids. I did keep them on the low end but only used this system like this for a year or so and went back to the drawing board and came up with a better design.
Well I guess that is a rant against Gauss speakers but with all the options we have today I would not try to use them if they were free. I would rather have an Eminence. I am curious if any one that has actually used them will post their praises. My memory is pretty good on this as it was a costly mistake for me a long time ago.
There was no LAB yet for me to ask and people to give me the straight dope in Gauss.

Dave Lynes

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 08:43:32 pm »

Are you sure you've got the correct model number? I looked through a few old (really old!) Gauss brochures and saw no such speaker. Maybe 5840...??? (15"; 200W; 103.1db/1 meter; 29-2200Hz; Fs=37Hz; 18.5lbs; bass guitar, organ, disco, PA; "The 5840 is known as the best bass speaker on the market." -Jan.1979)

FWIW...

Al Limberg

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 10:49:40 pm »

Amen!!!   The only thing worse than the 400 watt Gauss were the 300watt!!!  I think anything over 30 watts would take them out!  On the positive side, their NAMM demo with a 15" sliced in half (half circle) but with the voice coil intact and plugged in to a 110 volt outlet was pretty cool.

Al
p.s You liked the tweeter??? ?;o)
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

yam4000vca Jim Gould

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 11:08:00 pm »

I was not in love with the tweeter but I did make some wedges years ago with 2 10s and that Gauss tweeter that worked pretty good. Crossed the 10s over pretty high. It was better than the JBL Cabaret wedge that had a 12 and a bullet in it. When you think back we were really limited in what was commercially to be had at that time.

gary green

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 11:24:33 pm »

Here is what I found w/ a goggle search - Can they be as bad as you guys say?!? They came out of  Community PBL [?] boxes... I am going to get the HF drivers out soon - wonder what they are?

4580 15" Ceramic Magnet Bass Guitar/Woofer - 400-watt, 8 ohms. 4" voice coil. Ribbed cone, metal dome. Excellent condition.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 12:48:15 am »

Thank Goodness for old brochures  Very Happy

Gauss 4580

Voice Coil = 4 1/8"
On Axis Bandwidth = 35 - 2500Hz
Rated Power = 800
Sensitivity = 98
Highest Recomended Xs = 800 Hz
Displacement Xmax
Linear = +/- .090
Maximum = +/- .215
fs = 31 Hz
Qms = 2.3
Qes = 0.26
Qts = 0.23
Vas = 7.0
Re = 6.8
Baffle Opening
Front Load = 14"
Rear Load = 13 3/4"
Depth = 7 1/4"
Weight = 25 Pounds

I'm assuming the xmax was measured in inches, and,
not millimeters.
Elliot

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 06:52:31 am »

Guass speakers were well respected in the 70s in the pro audio circles. But, for whatever reasons, Gauss never caught on as much as EV or JBL. The company changed hands a few times and finally folded.

As for their earlier quality and sound, they were one of my favorite speakers. The best concert rig I have ever heard was all Gauss cone loaded (and TAD horn drivers).  

You biggest problem with using them today is repair.  Finding a place to recone them will be hard.  There are no factory parts available (or no factory anymore for that matter!) so any recones for them will be with generic parts.

My advice to you is to either use them in low power situation (like a home stereo/theatre setup) so you dont blow them up, or sell them.  There is an audiophile market for older 15" drivers with their origional cones.

Craig

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

gary green

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 09:33:18 am »

Thanks -That does it!    These look great ... now to decide if I should ebay them or put them in these EV TL606 boxes I have laying around... Thanks - G  [ would they compare to the EVM15L  in that box?]

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 10:07:52 am »

yam4000vca wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 17:50

I can tell you a good bit about Gauss speakers. I have used many types and varieties over the years and in this day and age I would not go near one except for maybe the tweeter that they made for very limited applications.

To be clear I would not pay more then $25 for one now and only if I had a cabinet already made that they work in. I would not waste my time building a new ported cabinet. I might put new ports in an existing box if the box volume is right.

First of all they are very inefficient. As in you will need a much larger amp to drive them than most any other make of speaker.

[quote title=yam4000vca wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 17:50]

Agreed.
A Hafler DH-500 or Yamaha 2200 was not near enough. A good match was the old QSC MX2000 for four drivers.

They were only a 400watt speaker and by todays standards that is not much. What I had that they replaced were only 200watt but that was the norm for the time.
They are a high distortion speaker. That makes them in my view only to be used at all on low end. The 12s and 10s of Gauss that I have used in mids both lower and upper of the years were a disaster in my view as to the sound.
They are a double spider driver and more expensive than many to recone.
At the time that I did use them I did not have a lot of choice that would handle the power in a frontloaded box and still hang together. In my case they replaced JBL 15s,I think the # was 2205 at the time. I was destroying the JBLs I needed something that would handle the excursion in a smaller 2x15 front loaded box. Due to the way they were made they did hold together well on low end  but I had to double up amps to get the job done.

There in lies the tale.
   You hated the way they sounded, but everything else (JBL, EV, TAD, Eminence, Fane, etc) of the same era blew up at the level you had to push them. And we will agree that at their worst they still sounded better then a JBL K series that had a roasted voice coil that showed "open".
   The EV 15L also sounded worse then the JBL, but you could get a little more out of it before it flowered or burned up. Any speaker of that vintage sounded WORSE then the Gauss driven at half the SPL level unless you are using them for dance recital.

I have used them in Community Levi's and FRC-B (single 15 bass horn good to 80Hz) and front load. I have tried EV and JBL and destroyed them at levels significantly below what I could get out of the Gauss 15" and that was enough for me

Back in the late 70's early 80's everyone was trying to squeeze the most out of 200- 300watt amps. The bass speaker saw at least the edge of clip all night long. Headroom in the system was something you seldom saw right up to the biggest tours where you could read the paper sitting in front of the crown amps with all those cherry red lights glowing.

I happen to have an old Gauss 15" in a ported box sitting behind me right now that I bought around 25 years ago.  It has seen about 3 or 4 recones. In the box it's in the -3dB is 40Hz. I ran THD distortion with Praxis and got 4%-6% running 30 watts to 50 watts stepped sine tones. I'm not willing to take it above that at its age. It was worst around 200Hz to 400Hz.

I used the Community M-80 (small mid bass horn) with the Gauss mid-bass 10" and liked that better then using EV or JBL 12"

At this time I had a full range box that was 2x15 2x12 1 2inch and two tweeters. It took me just a week or so of shows to get them off the lower mids. I did keep them on the low end but only used this system like this for a year or so and went back to the drawing board and came up with a better design.
Well I guess that is a rant against Gauss speakers but with all the options we have today I would not try to use them if they were free. I would rather have an Eminence.

Fair point.
OK, if you can get a current Eminence 15 for $25 used I would not buy the Gauss.

There is a guy on ebay selling old mic cable as "vintage" for big money. Maybe I should try the "vintage" approach with my 15s.  Wink

I am curious if any one that has actually used them will post their praises. My memory is pretty good on this as it was a costly mistake for me a long time ago.
There was no LAB yet for me to ask and people to give me the straight dope in Gauss.

I agree with all your main points, but I do not support your conclusion that they were a bad buy in their day. They are a bad purchase today.

I consider my purchase of those Gauss 15s back then a good choice. They did what I wanted them to do. Any other speaker I tried ending up sounding worse and then failed at the SPL I had to run.

I would have preferred to run Dynaudio 12" hi- fi speakers because they sounded better, went lower and had a bigger Xmax, but then I would have had to buy a tractor trailer to haul around enough boxes to do a 200 seat bar.
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.