ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreens - Are they detrimental?  (Read 8357 times)

Nathan Walker

Windscreens - Are they detrimental?
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »

I've always been afraid of putting windscreens on the vocal hand held vocal mics because of sound quality. Do windscreens muffle or change the quality of sound?

Also, are all vocal mic windscreens created equally or are there some brands that are higher quality than others?

Gary Creely

• http://www.steeplesoundavl.com
Re: Windscreens - Are they detrimental?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »

They are not usually needed in live indoor applications, but sometimes they can be helpful is a person is popping with p's. Most mics have a wind screen under the ball, so adding a wind screen is redundant if you don't need it. They don't effect the sound too much, and better ones will last longer.
Gary Creely
STEEPLE SOUND
http://www.steeplesoundavl.com

Richard Starkenberg

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »

I use windscreens on all microphones I have for the spoken word and occasionally on microphones for singing.
The windscreen can affect the sound of the mikes. Most muffled are colored windscreens and some cheaper more flimsy black ones. The expensive thicker black ones are the best in my opinion.
The difference in sound is surprisingly big in my experience and can easily be observed if you compare two identical microphones and change the windscreens.
They have to be cleaned on regular basis, of course.

Best regards,

/Richard

Nathan Walker

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »

Thanks for the input. The reason I've been asking is to find a cost effective way to identify the mics without using tape or adhesives. Perhaps I'll keep looking around or buy a couple and try them at a praise team practice.

Also does anyone happen to know of some sort of  sleeve or device that fits around a wireless microphone to keep it from rolling if set on a somewhat flat surface?

Bob.Witte

• http://www,cascadingwatersaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »

Colored windscreens aesthetics are also a bit of an issue sometimes. We try to keep everything on the platform from distracting people. Besides the impact on sound, IMHO they look "cheap" and "unprofessional".

Of course then, how do you identify microphones from the mix position.

1) We keep mic stands available to place mics in when not used and the person that takes the mic is responsible to place it back correctly. I've seen other use mic holders (3 mic slots) that fit on one stand. So, you do have to pay attention when someone picks up a mic. This is a "positional" method.

2) We also put a small piece of black gaffers tape on the mic and use a "grey" sharpie to put a small number on it. Then, the person using the mic can always find the correct one and also, if needed, can give the appropriate hand signal with the mic # in case the mixing person loses track. This aids with #1 and works well with guests once they see where the label is.

I'm sure there are other ways.....
Bob
Cascading Waters Audio
cascadingwatersaudio.com
blog.cascadingwatersaudio.com

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »

While most after-market windscreens are similar, they may have different effects on the audio. Thinner foam vs. thicker foam, differences in density, etc.

Also, integrated windscreens are not all created equal. SM/Beta58s have a simple foam windscreen beneath the grill, essentially the same thing as puting foam on the outside. On the other hand, the Neumann KMS105 and Shure KSM9 have 3-stage windscreen/pop filters built in to the mic. Of course, the $600 difference in price says a lot. Smile

I tend to stay away from windscreens unless absolutely necessary. I will go so far as to stop a rehearsal and work with a vocalist on proper microphone placement and technique before I slap a foamy on their mic. Basically, for all the reasons mentioned above. I think they're tacky and unprofessional looking (especially in bright colors), and they do attenuate the microphone differently than without. I especially dislike the ones that don't fit snug and end-up sitting on an angle on top of the mic... that is one of the worst eye-sores for me. Maybe it's just a pet-peeve. Smile
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

Steven Barnett

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »

Once I assumed this role at church, I discontinued the use of windscreens.  Especially since they had a penchant for using red and orange ones; it made the platform look like a three ring circus.  Confused
Steve Barnett
Lead Audio Tech
Asbury UMC
Raleigh, NC

Nathan Walker

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »

I hadn't really thought of the aesthetics of big, multi-color foam windscreens at the chancel, but you've got a very valid point. I vaguely remember wondering, as a kid, why they would have ice cream cones in church. I guess everyone would eye them differently.

Another idea I've been looking at are colored mic cables. I'd assume they'd be a bit less of an eyesore.

Jeff Ekstrand

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »

Sometimes a simple ring of colored e-tape could help. It's a lot less conspicuous than the entire head of a microphone, and is usually visible from mix position.

Works great for venues with lots of wireless floating around. Fast, easy identification of the source.
Jeff Ekstrand

Technical Director, North Shore Campus
Willow Creek Community Church
Northfield, IL

David Sumrall

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »

We use a combination of either a single ring of colored e tape at the bottom of the body of the mic, not on the antenna. For us this is mostly solo mics and not every mic.

Plus labels made from a label maker for things that stay in a room for a while along with a sticky number label for the base of the stand. That way the mutiple singers know which mic they have and where to put it back or get it from.

Another thing we do that helps a ton is that I assign wireless mics  well prior to service times. I get the flow on Thursday, we have a meeting, I ask lots of questions.

Then on Friday I go through all flows for services and make mic assignments for solos, leads, speakers, drama etc. I know in advance what my issues are going to be and make a plan to make it work out. I put my notes in the flow and sent it back to the music office for them to print.

Then everyone gets an updated flow with my mic assignments for each element along with a schedule for the day with mic assignments.

Then everyone, bcast, foh, team, stage managers, knows when they walk in the door there is a plan for the day and they follow it.

And since i plan in advance I have a much better idea of what's left for spares in case we need to punt.

I also work hard to keep my console layout very constant so I know where important things are all the time and which things might change purpose go to flex channels. For example worship leader always uses the same mic and console channel. But rf 10 might be a handheld or lav or wireless instrument depending on the need on any given day.

By being organized I can be consistent and flexible at the same time.

I never use extra wind screens unless I have to for extra pops  and wind etc. If i do, i prefer to get the ones mad by the manufacture that work best and fit best that mic.  I do need some wind screens for some choir mics because of the location  of the air vents.

I will always try to use the hi pass filter as a tool to help with wind noise first before the extra windscreen is tried.

All windscreens are not created equal. You do get what you pay for.

I hope that helps a bit.

David Sumrall
Technical Director/A1
First Baptist Orlando
David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Soutlake Texas
GatewayPeople.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.