ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Programs to make plots / diagrams for your systems?  (Read 1689 times)

Wayne Smith2

Programs to make plots / diagrams for your systems?
« on: May 26, 2024, 08:16:45 PM »

In this case updating the ones I made some ten+ years ago for my home studio and bits of live gigs we did.
Back then we had my fife's Illustrator prog but no longer. 
Thanks

Shoot, ok poking around, learning some more should have mentioned -for Windows, and what's called vector drawing.
Sorry about that. :>)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 08:52:22 PM by Wayne Smith2 »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Programs to make plots / diagrams for your systems?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 10:29:51 AM »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if all you want to do is draw block-diagrams or schematics there are numerous, pleasant-to-use, free schematic editors available. I use the one supplied by ExpressPCB who are a small-lot printed-circuit fabrication outfit. It's called "ExpressSchematic". It lets you pretty easily create your own symbols so it's quite flexible. I used expensive, complicated electronic CAD/CAM back in the day and little programs like ExpressSchematic are not a replacement for that but I rather appreciate the simplicity and, dare I say, elegance.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 03:37:13 PM »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if all you want to do is draw block-diagrams or schematics there are numerous, pleasant-to-use, free schematic editors available. I use the one supplied by ExpressPCB who are a small-lot printed-circuit fabrication outfit. It's called "ExpressSchematic". It lets you pretty easily create your own symbols so it's quite flexible. I used expensive, complicated electronic CAD/CAM back in the day and little programs like ExpressSchematic are not a replacement for that but I rather appreciate the simplicity and, dare I say, elegance.

--Frank
Thank you Sir.
Everything I tried led to dead ends and/or cautions- but seem to have found success with an older version.
Have it open now, so far so good. :>)
Wayne
https://www.expresspcb.com/previous-versions/

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 03:50:28 PM »

In this case updating the ones I made some ten+ years ago for my home studio and bits of live gigs we did.
Back then we had my fife's Illustrator prog but no longer. 
Thanks

Shoot, ok poking around, learning some more should have mentioned -for Windows, and what's called vector drawing.
Sorry about that. :>)

I use this when I have to .

https://tecrider.com

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 04:43:18 PM »

Thank you Sir.
Everything I tried led to dead ends and/or cautions- but seem to have found success with an older version.
Have it open now, so far so good. :>)
Wayne
https://www.expresspcb.com/previous-versions/
Turns out this one apparently is for circuit board layout and design. I'm just looking to do line diagrams, basic shapes and such.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 07:25:42 PM »

Turns out this one apparently is for circuit board layout and design. I'm just looking to do line diagrams, basic shapes and such.

Correct. ExpressPCB is indeed a PCB layout program. ExpressSCH (which I mistakenly referred to as ExpressSchematic) is a schematic editor that creats a netlist for the PCB layout. But I have used it for block diagrams by creating a few "components" that are just boxes with a number of "pins" and a text field. You can suppress the pin numbers and labels to make just plain boxes. The nice thing about a schematic editor is that the connections between the blocks rubber-band to some extent. I confess it's a case of my only tool being a hammer so...

Let us know what you end up using.

--Frank

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 07:39:00 PM »

Here's a crop of a block diagram I did on ExpressSCH.

--Frank

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2024, 01:15:41 AM »

Canva is the free program all the Gen Z kids are using.
I own Affinity Designer, which is a $50 program that can open old Illustrator files (bonus) and export them as JPGs, etc. Affinity also makes a photoshop lite and an indesign lite. they were acquired by Canva earlier this year.

Worth checking out. For stage plots I use Apple's Pages program, but as a Windows user that doesn't help you...

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 08:20:18 AM »

I've for years used the Apple Number spreadsheet ( and ClarisWorks before that ) app for this since a detailed input list with drop snake assigns is half the game in stage plots. Just put a drawing layer above the bottom of the spreadsheet layer.

Worth checking out. For stage plots I use Apple's Pages program, but as a Windows user that doesn't help you...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2024, 10:59:35 PM »

Im a fan of Draw.io/Diagrams.net.

I often use it to draw on top of client-provided floorplans so my crew can better understand the general signal paths and types that need to be run.

Works great for exhibit halls with lots of dedicated power runs, as well as larger events with full AV.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2024, 10:59:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.