ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking Advice to set up a solution to broadcast live events with 16 languages  (Read 1073 times)

davidhello

Hello everyone,

I'm David Hello, and I'm based in the UK. I work as a software developer for a charity, and they've asked me to look into broadcasting our live events. I don't have much experience with sound and video hardware, so I could really use some help.

Here's what we're trying to do:

We have up to 16 audio tracks (using XLR connections). One track is for prayers, which needs to be broadcasted on all audio channels, another is for the English speaker, and the rest are translations.
We have an HDMI video signal coming from a camera.
Our goal is to broadcast this live, with a player that allows viewers to switch between languages.

I've managed to set this up using OBS as the broadcasting software, a Behringer UMC1820 sound card with multiple inputs, and streaming platforms like Castr and Clevercast. I also use an SRT stream with ffmpeg in OBS (here's an explanation of the setup.)

However, there are some limitations. I can only broadcast in 6 languages (or 12 with Clevercast, as it supports 2 languages per stereo channel) because OBS can only handle 6 output tracks. I've looked into VMix and Wirecast, but they don't seem to support more languages either.

So, I'm considering using hardware instead. Since I don't have much experience and the equipment is pricey, I want to make sure I get it right. That's why I'm seeking advice from experienced folks.

Here's my plan:

1) To mix the prayers with the other audio channels: I'm thinking of using an audio mixer (like the Behringer X32).
2) To convert the XLR to SDI: I found this converter, and I'd need 4 of them to handle 16 audio channels.
3) To convert the HDMI to SDI: I'm looking at this converter.
4) To mix the SDI video signal with the 4 SDI audio channels: I'm not sure how to do this.
5) To broadcast the final SDI signal containing 1 video and 16 audio channels: I'm considering the Makito X4 single channel.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve point 4?
Or any other suggestions on a different approach? I'm also wondering if I need something to sync the audio with the video, and maybe a noise reduction device for the translation channels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

Regards,
David
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:06:34 AM by davidhello »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

If this is a mission-critical 'cast, I'd strongly consider hiring professionals that do this every day.  Fund it by finding a donor to sponsor each language translation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

Maybe it's easier than I know but what will home viewer need to do to select the audio they want to listen to using their phone or laptop?

davidhello

Maybe it's easier than I know but what will home viewer need to do to select the audio they want to listen to using their phone or laptop?

They just need to choose the language from the web player. It looks like this (with the difference of there will be no subtitle, only audio translation).
Tx

davidhello

If this is a mission-critical 'cast, I'd strongly consider hiring professionals that do this every day.  Fund it by finding a donor to sponsor each language translation.
I understand, and that can be could solution.
The main reason I was thinking to buy equipment is that the events to broadcast are quite long (they last either 1 or 2 weeks), and they occur every year, three times a year. I thought it was worth spending some money on equipement and time on training.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC

Hire the professionals, watch what they do and use and decide at that point if you want to DIY this in the future. Your bosses will think that is the wisest approach.

I understand, and that can be could solution.
The main reason I was thinking to buy equipment is that the events to broadcast are quite long (they last either 1 or 2 weeks), and they occur every year, three times a year. I thought it was worth spending some money on equipement and time on training.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio

They just need to choose the language from the web player. It looks like this (with the difference of there will be no subtitle, only audio translation).
Tx

I did look at their demo, that worked well. As long as your viewers know about installing the app.
I didn't go that deep into it but do they provide the streaming encoder?
There would need to be some back end set up to coordinate what track of audio is under the correct menu selection.

davidhello

Hire the professionals, watch what they do and use and decide at that point if you want to DIY this in the future. Your bosses will think that is the wisest approach.

Thank you Riley, that's a good advice!

davidhello

I did look at their demo, that worked well. As long as your viewers know about installing the app.
I didn't go that deep into it but do they provide the streaming encoder?
There would need to be some back end set up to coordinate what track of audio is under the correct menu selection.

The viewer don't need to install an app, the player is embedded in a web page, so we just give them a link, like you can do with youtube or most other web video player.
For the streaming encoder, as I said in my first post, I use the open source freeware OBS (in srt mode, using ffmpeg), and you're right, in the back end of the streaming platform you have to provide the PID of the audio track so it can make the match.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio

The viewer don't need to install an app, the player is embedded in a web page, so we just give them a link, like you can do with youtube or most other web video player.
For the streaming encoder, as I said in my first post, I use the open source freeware OBS (in srt mode, using ffmpeg), and you're right, in the back end of the streaming platform you have to provide the PID of the audio track so it can make the match.

I book marked that site, of the few events that I also provide live streaming there has not been a need for multi channel/track audio, good info to have though.

What audio mixer do you have now? Many can provide multi channel/track digital output via a USB B connector and will appear as a sound card to the streaming software, the X32 included, others maybe a little easier to set up.

That said as mentioned hiring in the production maybe the best way to go.
Maybe have them set it and get it running and turn it over to you for the remaining days of the event, when it's over the company comes back and loads up their equipment and you don't need to even lift, move or store anything.

You would need to set up 16 somewhat isolated rooms for the translators.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 11:58:25 PM by Mike Caldwell »

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.