ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer Wing Rack release  (Read 3319 times)

Eric Deweese

• SR Forums
Behringer Wing Rack release
« on: May 13, 2024, 09:19:42 PM »

With the news of the inevitable, the Wing Rack's release, it begs the question... Why hasn't A&H ever released a SQ series rack... or any other manufacturer for that matter tackled a "pro level/acceptable" rack mount mixer that would take care of most band's needs that are self contained?

This release I fear will catch other manufacturers with their proverbial pants down... AGAIN.  A 48 channel capable mixer with the ability to handle 12+ stereo IEM mixes and access to quality compressors/FX has been something missing in the market for a while IMO.

I just want to live in a world where behringer exists less.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Behringer Wing Rack release
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 09:37:31 PM »

Well, in the entry level space, lots have the little box mixers. Smaller than rack mount, but can have rack ears added.

In the 3 U rack space, there's the X32 rack. Yamaha has the TF rack which is a close competitor, but to expand it you need to add the Dante card. The X32 has AES50 built right in, OR you can add Dante.

Allen and heath has the Qupac, but only one dsnake port and no Dante option. Also the STUPID shape that they made the thing makes it not rack mountable in my opinion.

The Wing Rack looks to be a beautiful expansion of the X32 rack.  Yeah, nobody's touching them in that space.  48 channels would be super handy to have available at times, although making it 4u does kinda suck.  A 3U version that used external I/o would better suit my needs, but whatever.

What's really missing is the ability to add real control surfaces to these devices.  The x32 rack can be controlled beautifully with the x-touch, but that's hardly a conveniently laid out controller.  If they would offer a control surface that had all of the functionality of their mixers but controlled the rack itself, that would be amazing.  Now the audio never has to travel to FOH. A lost connection means signal keeps passing.  Keep all audio and processing on stage where it belongs.  Ethernet control from wherever is ideal.

Come on Behringer. You're soooo close.  Update the firmware on your consoles already to give us this functionality!!

Brian Jojade

Dave Guilford

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 09:51:56 PM »

What's really missing is the ability to add real control surfaces to these devices.  The x32 rack can be controlled beautifully with the x-touch, but that's hardly a conveniently laid out controller.  If they would offer a control surface that had all of the functionality of their mixers but controlled the rack itself, that would be amazing.  Now the audio never has to travel to FOH. A lost connection means signal keeps passing.  Keep all audio and processing on stage where it belongs.  Ethernet control from wherever is ideal.

Yes exactly.  Iíve wanted this for a long time.  Presonus sort of did this with the Cs18 , but well .. presonus.  Iím pretty sure the A&H stuff has been doing this .. brains in the rack and control at FOH.  But itís too expensive for a little guy like me.

Bonus points if the control surface can connect via WiFi to eliminate cat5 run.  I guess I just want a large iPad with tactile controls.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 06:58:05 AM »

...Why hasn't A&H ever released a SQ series rack...

Because they already did one better - dLive.  At least back before the apocalypse the entry level CDM32 could be had for a very reasonable investment, and if more option cards are needed the fleshed-out DM32 was also an option.  Granted it's no $1,999 weekend warrior mixer, but for those like myself wanting a rack-only solution with all the advanced features needed in a professional deployment the dLive ecosystem fits the bill nicely.

I believe A&H has gone on record saying that an SQ-Rack will never happen as it doesn't align with their product marketing structure - i.e. it'll compete with dLive C Class too much...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 07:06:12 AM »

Yep, that's how dLive works.  The brain lives in the Mixrack, and surfaces can be connected over ethernet or fiber from wherever they need to be located.  Wireless control from tablets or laptops is also easily accommodated and as you mention, should any of this drop out or disconnect the rack still passes audio.  I've been a very happy dLive owner/user since 2018 and have no intentions of switching out to anything else anytime soon.

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 09:55:11 AM »

With the news of the inevitable, the Wing Rack's release...
I don't see news of an actual release date for the Wing Rack.  All a Google search turned up for me were the same teaser images and some speculation in a Reddit post.  Is there an actual release date?

FWIW - We are trying to wait on the Wing Rack before buying any additional control surfaces.  Its 16 channels of automix are of particular interest to us as well as the 24 onboard mic pres.

Edit to add: The Wing is a 40 channel mixer, not 48.  It has 40 fully configurable, stereo control channels and 8 aux inputs with reduced processing.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 10:07:58 AM by John Schalk »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 12:05:21 PM »

I don't see news of an actual release date for the Wing Rack.  All a Google search turned up for me were the same teaser images and some speculation in a Reddit post.  Is there an actual release date?

FWIW - We are trying to wait on the Wing Rack before buying any additional control surfaces.  Its 16 channels of automix are of particular interest to us as well as the 24 onboard mic pres.

Edit to add: The Wing is a 40 channel mixer, not 48.  It has 40 fully configurable, stereo control channels and 8 aux inputs with reduced processing.

What do you want AutoMix for?

Automix is not designed to do anything with music it will sometimes seem to work but then it may makeup its own mind to do something that you are not expecting. It is meant for dealing with a bunch of people speaking, like on a panel discussion.

Eric Deweese

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 12:41:45 PM »

Yep, that's how dLive works.  The brain lives in the Mixrack, and surfaces can be connected over ethernet or fiber from wherever they need to be located.  Wireless control from tablets or laptops is also easily accommodated and as you mention, should any of this drop out or disconnect the rack still passes audio.  I've been a very happy dLive owner/user since 2018 and have no intentions of switching out to anything else anytime soon.

I am aware of D-Live and the product line capabilities. IMO the fear that an SQ rack would compete too much with their D-Live product line will only hurt them long term on product revenue. Not to worry, another company will put their product in that market and suck all the money from them instead. Feature set of the B will once again win out over something else that would have had better components and build quality for a reasonable price increase. A price increase that I would have been happy to pay... The D-Live is too much for that particular market IMO, if it wasn't why does the SQ range exist at all?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 02:39:37 PM »

I am aware of D-Live and the product line capabilities. IMO the fear that an SQ rack would compete too much with their D-Live product line will only hurt them long term on product revenue. Not to worry, another company will put their product in that market and suck all the money from them instead. Feature set of the B will once again win out over something else that would have had better components and build quality for a reasonable price increase. A price increase that I would have been happy to pay... The D-Live is too much for that particular market IMO, if it wasn't why does the SQ range exist at all?

As Jeff mentioned, and as A&H told me - there are two types of rack-only mixers.  There's cheap ones (Behringer/Midas), and there's pro ones (dLive).  Since SQ has dLive brains, with some features turned off - bringing out an SQ-Rack would be a CDM-32 essentially with a few software features turned off.  That would put it in the Pro category, with a Pro price, and would cannibalize the CDM line.  Turning off a few features in software doesn't save any real cost.

If you want a cheap class, rackmount mixer from A&H - the Qu-Pac is it.  The Qu isn't quite up to the X/M32 level though, but it's the same general class.

The real issue is that too many people consider the X/M32 family "pro", when it isn't.  It's great for the price, but it's still MI level.  I don't support the Tribe, so for basic portable use - CQ-20B.  For Pro use, dLive, with any interface you want (iPad, computer, surface). 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 02:52:09 PM »

Come on Behringer. You're soooo close.  Update the firmware on your consoles already to give us this functionality!!

For the record, many are already doing with with Mixing Station and your hardware controller of choice (XTouch, Waves FIT, etc). The major benefit is, once invested in the hardware, you can use the controller and a device with Mixing Station installed, on any console that is compatible with Mixing Station (XM32, Wing, DLive, Avantis, SQ, Soundcraft, Yamaha TF, etc)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 02:55:09 PM by Nate Zifra »

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 02:52:09 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.