ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobbling the Opening Act - in 2024?  (Read 660 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Hobbling the Opening Act - in 2024?
« on: May 11, 2024, 12:20:35 PM »

Very disappointed to witness, in 2024, an Opening Act still being hobbled. I thought that practice had been put to rest decades ago.

Last night, State Farm Arena, Atlanta:
Cheap Trick opening for Heart

Granted, we were Stage Left, in the nosebleed section, but the Side Hangs were not activated, nor were the video screens on each side of the stage.

I understand not wanted to blow out the audience's hearing in advance, but why "cheat" a portion of the listeners out of hearing a proper mix rather than reflections off the Main Hangs? And how much would it have cost to have a Camera Op or two follow Zander and Nielsen around?

Both bands performed well, but the difference in Audio was night and day. Heart's production was very good. I can only wonder if insecurities drove the decisions.

Thanks for letting me vent,
Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Hobbling the Opening Act - in 2024?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 02:53:20 PM »

That's life in the big show...

I recall seeing Robben Ford as an opening act for Toto (last century) at an industry trade show concert...  Robben killed it, then when Toto came on they turned the PA up another 6+ dB SPL. I headed for the exits, but the girl I brought wanted to hear them play Rosanna, so we hung in the back doorway, then left. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 04:40:45 PM »

Sounds more like a mistake than anything intentional on the part of the sound co. Likely nobody bothered to check that CT's routing included the side hangs.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 05:05:24 PM »

Very disappointed to witness, in 2024, an Opening Act still being hobbled.
Last night, State Farm Arena, Atlanta:
Cheap Trick opening for Heart

I understand not wanted to blow out the audience's hearing in advance, but why "cheat" a portion of the listeners out of hearing a proper mix rather than reflections off the Main Hangs? And how much would it have cost to have a Camera Op or two follow Zander and Nielsen around?

Dave,

From what I could see and hear from this live video of that show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFSGz2_-wg
the elder tricksters looked and sounded pretty hobbled in the performance.
Guitars and vocals off pitch past cringeworthy in too many spots to count.
Stage monitors and side fills still can't bring hearing to the deaf  :'(

Knowing what they look like now, Zander and Nielsen may have decided to not have their images blown up past life size ;)

I love much of their recorded music, but their live sound has seldom been much more than a "cheap trick" from what I've heard myself and from others who have provided production in the 5 plus decades they have been pounding it out.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 08:46:15 PM »

Dave,

Knowing what they look like now, Zander and Nielsen may have decided to not have their images blown up past life size ;)

I love much of their recorded music, but their live sound has seldom been much more than a "cheap trick" from what I've heard myself and from others who have provided production in the 5 plus decades they have been pounding it out.

They are also insanely loud and it's common knowledge.   Had them twice and both times guitar amps turned up to kill and monitors were insane too.  Half the room left (this was a multi-day, multi room gig where folks could not leave) half the room left and it didn't faze them they just kept on peeling the paint off the walls.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 08:48:22 PM »

I was the steward on the Heart/Cheap Trick show here in Tulsa last week. Sitting in the office back stage I could tell immediately that Heart was using the full PA.

Honestly, I thought Cheap Trick had a more reasonable volume anyway. But I guess Im getting old.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 11:41:32 PM »

I was the steward on the Heart/Cheap Trick show here in Tulsa last week. Sitting in the office back stage I could tell immediately that Heart was using the full PA.

Honestly, I thought Cheap Trick had a more reasonable volume anyway. But I guess Im getting old.

Everything is relative.  Have not heard the Heart show.  Some of the experienced techs and hands had an opinion.  I have never seen anyone walk out on a show before in that venue. 

That was 5 years ago IIRC.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 12:54:02 PM »

Dave,

Art,
The audio mix in that video was far better than what we heard, confirming my suspicion that the side fill hangs were not active. It's a shame that everyone above the main floor were short changed (thanks to @Justice for the corroborating evidence).

They were on IEMs, with no wedges, except for Zander's kid (video confidence monitors on the lip). No idea if the stage fills (2 array cabs per side) were operating?

Quote from: Art Welter

We were playing the same saloons in Wisconsin & Illinois when Fuse became Cheap Trick. I've been aware of "the trick" since then  ;) .

As far as stage volume goes, when we played the mainstage at the first Rockfest in Cadott, WI, they were the headliners. Big stacks aside, Nielsen had a Deluxe Reverb with JBL D120F backstage that was mic'd up. Everything else was for show (including Sound City cabs loaded with blinder lights).

Oh well, probably the last concert in a basketball arena/hockey rink/football stadium I'll attend anyway.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 12:54:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.