ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lavalier mic  (Read 1432 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Lavalier mic
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2024, 10:35:46 PM »

That's...not the direction of change I would have expected; I'm ASSuming this has more to do with price and making A2s lives easier than any sonic features?

-Russ

Sonically they are very similar in the PA. Price not a huge factor, we are a very solvent corporation. Clips and accessories are nicer.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2024, 11:04:25 PM »

Sonically they are very similar in the PA. Price not a huge factor, we are a very solvent corporation. Clips and accessories are nicer.

Mac

Which Shure Omnis are you using?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2024, 11:38:35 PM »

Which Shure Omnis are you using?

I think they are Twinplex. TL47 maybe? I don’t touch them, the A2s do, I’m upstairs in the control room. They are on Axient digital transmitters. We have a mix of the smaller lav xmitters as well as the larger, 8 of each, with each also have a HH. That’s been enough so far. The trick is when we need all 16 RF mics and also a few codecs as well as video and audio playback. In the control room I only have a 16 fader console, although it does have 60 pages of faders. In the upgrade that will start in January we’ll be upgrading to the 32 fader version. Also renovating the whole auditorium, new sound system, new seats, new video wall replacing projection. Left/Right PA going full immersive, all Meyer.

Mac

brian maddox

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2024, 01:12:48 PM »

I think they are Twinplex. TL47 maybe? I don’t touch them, the A2s do, I’m upstairs in the control room. They are on Axient digital transmitters. We have a mix of the smaller lav xmitters as well as the larger, 8 of each, with each also have a HH. That’s been enough so far. The trick is when we need all 16 RF mics and also a few codecs as well as video and audio playback. In the control room I only have a 16 fader console, although it does have 60 pages of faders. In the upgrade that will start in January we’ll be upgrading to the 32 fader version. Also renovating the whole auditorium, new sound system, new seats, new video wall replacing projection. Left/Right PA going full immersive, all Meyer.

Mac

Thanks. I figured it was probably something from the twinplex family. I still haven't had a chance to use them, so I'm curious about how they perform in a PA setting.

Is someone else mixing the PA locally or is it a preset volume and just part of your mix?

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2024, 04:08:56 PM »

I do not understand the hardcore hate on lavs around here. I do a fair bit of corpy work with relatively cheap Shure WL185s and have a fine time. Of course, I put thought in to where I deploy my speakers and take time to properly ring out any problem freqs and myself or my A2s know how to properly place them and I have realistic expectations of their abilities (I'm not using them for lead vocal in a rock band), but for their application, they work great.

Easy/quick to deploy, can sound very natural and get plenty of gain before feedback.

EDIT: This place really has gotten pretty negative towards people looking for honest advice. OP had a very specific situation where a lav is a must, and is trying their best to make informed decisions before the gig, only to be met with suggestions that completely ignore the circumstances. Imagine having this sort of attitude toward an uninformed client. I can understand why membership and activity here is down, it's generally just not very welcoming. And as someone who has been a nearly daily visitor for over a decade (a relative newbie, I know), the thought of it dying makes me sad. Sorry for the topic swerve, it seems OP finally got their question answered, but I've been feeling this way for a long time and this is yet another example.

To the OP, +1 for the Shure WL185. It's relatively cheap and sounds good to me when used within its means. It should serve you well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 04:19:28 PM by Steve Eudaly »

brian maddox

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2024, 05:20:49 PM »

That's...not the direction of change I would have expected; I'm ASSuming this has more to do with price and making A2s lives easier than any sonic features?

-Russ

Especially when using cardioids, I prefer the Shures. They're bulkier, but easier to get good low end out of.

And the DPAs have far more fiddly clips and bits. So yeah, my A2s prefer dealing with the Shures.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2024, 05:42:43 PM »

Thanks. I figured it was probably something from the twinplex family. I still haven't had a chance to use them, so I'm curious about how they perform in a PA setting.

Is someone else mixing the PA locally or is it a preset volume and just part of your mix?

Yes, there is a PA mixer in the auditorium. There is very little eq on the mic inputs though, mostly just high pass around 125. When I am called on to mix the PA I generally take out some upper mids, like 2k-3k.

Our regular stable of FOH mixers includes a couple of Broadway musical mixers and a recording studio mixer.

Mac
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 05:45:04 PM by Mac Kerr »

brian maddox

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2024, 05:51:15 PM »

Yes, there is a PA mixer in the auditorium. There is very little eq on the mic inputs though, mostly just high pass around 125. When I am called on to mix the PA I generally take out some upper mids, like 2k-3k.

Our regular stable of FOH mixers includes a couple of Broadway musical mixers and a recording studio mixer.

Mac

There's certainly a ton of advantages to an omni, not least of which is that they can be much smaller and still sound great. If you're working in a controlled environment [i.e. a fixed auditorium] I can't think of any reason NOT to use omni lavs. I'm sure they make your job much easier as well with a far more consistent sound than what you'd get from a cardioid.

now to get my hands on some twinplex....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2024, 05:51:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.