ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: split snake and phantom power.  (Read 607 times)

JeffLilly

split snake and phantom power.
« on: March 01, 2024, 10:58:54 AM »

Hi my band does a few gigs every year where we use our mixer, an SQ5 to mix our IEMs and the venue supplies the split snake. We are playing a new venue that doesn't have one so I purchased an EWI split snake that is just a basic split, no transformers. The house board is an M32. From my understanding only one board should have the phantom on. I assuming it would make more sense for it to be our SQ5. I don't want to damage anything and just wondering if this is still an issue with modern consoles. Also if anyone has any other advice on using a splitter I am all ears. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 05:20:50 PM by JeffLilly »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: split snake and phatom power.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 11:11:33 AM »

Hi my band does a few gigs every year where we use our mixer, an SQ5 to mix our IEMs and the venue supplies the split snake. We are playing a new venue that doesn't have one so I purchased an EWI split snake that is just a basic split, no transformers. The house board is an M32. From my understanding only one board should have the phantom on. I assuming it would make more sense for it to be our SQ5. I don't want to damage anything and just wondering if this is still an issue with modern consoles. Also if anyone has any other advice on using a splitter I am all ears. Thanks

It won't matter which console supplies the phantom power, and 2 consoles with +48 on, damage is very unlikely presuming all the XLR cables are wired correctly.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 02:13:11 PM »

I don't want to damage anything and just wondering if this is still an issue with modern consoles.

What Tim said.

Generally, I prefer the console closest (in cable length) to the microphones provide Phantom Power.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 02:52:45 PM »

What Tim said.

Generally, I prefer the console closest (in cable length) to the microphones provide Phantom Power.

Dave

Same, although I use closest to the stage as a guideline.  Generally, that's going to be monitor console.
Brian Jojade

JeffLilly

Re: split snake and phantom power.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 05:21:36 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 08:34:08 PM »

General protocol says console closest to the stage should supply phantom.
With a Transformer split. phantom doesn't pass thru the xfmr, so it must be supplied to the direct split.
Usually the shortest whip. Generally you lift all the grounds but one.
with a non transformer spit, I consider it bad manners to have phantom on both boards at the same time.
If both boards are 48 volts, i wouldn't expect any problems, blocking caps and all that, but phantom can be as low as 12 volts on less than big boy boards.  How will a 12 volt board deal with 48 volt blocking?
I dunno.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Schalk

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 09:47:29 AM »

Hi my band does a few gigs every year where we use our mixer, an SQ5 to mix our IEMs and the venue supplies the split snake. We are playing a new venue that doesn't have one so I purchased an EWI split snake that is just a basic split, no transformers. The house board is an M32. From my understanding only one board should have the phantom on. I assuming it would make more sense for it to be our SQ5.
Since your band is using IEMs, are you also using all of your own microphones?  If so, then yes, the most logical way to proceed is to supply the phantom power from your SQ5, otherwise you will not be able to rehearse!  That assumes that you will incorporate the split snake into your IEM rig.  This is how it works for nearly all of the bands that come through our venue with a fully self-contained IEM rig.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 10:58:41 AM »

As others have said, without a transformer split either or both consoles can supply phantom and with most modern gear it wont really hurt anything if both do although that is generally frowned upon. Most people supply phantom from the console with the shortest cable length to the mics, usually the monitor console. If you are using your own mics, Id supply phantom from your SQ5 so the house doesn't have to worry about it.
I did want to give a shout out for the EWI snake! I love their gear and the folks at AudioPile!
Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 10:58:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.