ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSW Archives  (Read 1737 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: PSW Archives
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2024, 09:55:19 AM »

* Digital Mixers
* Digital System Controllers
* DMX Control
* LED Lighting
* Neo Magnets in Loudspeakers
* Switching PSU Amplifiers
* Scalability in Loudspeaker Format
* Digitized Music Files

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2024, 10:54:41 AM »

Digital mixers, of course.

But Ill add something a bit more subtle which is the new freedom in loudspeaker design made possible by cheap and capable digital processing. Back in the day great effort went into designing speaker drivers and systems that had inherently flat frequency response as it was difficult to correct and was expected by the market. These days flat on-axis response can be ignored (within reason) and the resulting flexibility can be devoted to optimizing other characteristic such as polar response, power output, efficiency and size/weight. The ability to build-in this response correction along with sophisticated overload protection systems (limiters) has made speakers better sounding, easier to deploy and more resistant to abuse and accidents.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2024, 11:08:20 AM »

-The pin 1 noise problem has been solved;

-Standardized analog interconnect. Most equipment that didn't follow the XLR pin 2 hot standard has been retired by now. Same goes for analog inserts on consoles (ring send, anyone?) not that there are many left anymore... I used to have to carry a lot of adapters or make custom cables!

-Access to information. It's easy to look up specs, owners manual, quick start guides or even get in contact with the manufacturer these days. I remember being in the middle of a field in 2003 on a cell phone that barely had any coverage having someone at the shop dig up a paper copy of the owners manual and read it back to me so I could find out why the VCAs and mute groups on an unfamiliar A&H didn't seem to be working as expected. There are so many other examples of things that you either had to know, or had to guess at why something wasn't behaving as you had anticipated.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2024, 12:48:54 PM »

-Access to information. It's easy to look up specs, owners manual, quick start guides or even get in contact with the manufacturer these days. I remember being in the middle of a field in 2003 on a cell phone that barely had any coverage having someone at the shop dig up a paper copy of the owners manual and read it back to me so I could find out why the VCAs and mute groups on an unfamiliar A&H didn't seem to be working as expected. There are so many other examples of things that you either had to know, or had to guess at why something wasn't behaving as you had anticipated.

+100.  I started out carrying a catalog case with ALL the manuals to my gear. When I rented something, I'd ask for the manual.  Just because, well, you know.
It was handy with "guest engineers" from time to time. "Here, RTFM!"

No one has to think anymore. Just google it.  The correct answer is probably one of the first 3 hits.
Help, or hindrance to gaining true knowledge?  You decide.

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2024, 05:16:45 PM »

Brian, I think part of it goes to how people consume audio most of the time:  some kind of ear bud, maybe a car system linked to their phone, and the mix is often "optimized" for the ear bud, so compressed to death, exaggerated bass and HF.  If that's how the live sound persons are getting their sonic references, we're screwed.

+100.....and they think they need to use every on board and external processing plug in insert available just to create an mix.

Speaking of inserts I going to say that at most we are one generation away from a sound person knowing what to do with an insert rack fantail and an analog mixer.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2024, 06:50:07 PM »

Speaking of inserts I going to say that at most we are one generation away from a sound person knowing what to do with an insert rack fantail and an analog mixer.
Is that a bad thing?  We don't use abacuses anymore either. ::)
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2024, 08:08:51 PM »

Which isn't really an applicable skill these days.  I'd rather have somebody who can troubleshoot network connections.

Anyways, for the topic please put me in the digital mixer (digital everything) category.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2024, 01:34:07 PM »

Which isn't really an applicable skill these days.  I'd rather have somebody who can troubleshoot network connections.

Anyways, for the topic please put me in the digital mixer (digital everything) category.

That was more of just a time line reference, the most I've done with an insert rack in the last ten years was to pull the equipment out of it and repurpose the rack!!

Yes to digital and the UI upgrades come along with each new generation.....most of the time!!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2024, 03:21:45 PM »

At least two things in play here I'd expect. At low frequencies high level audio impacts the entire body and not just the ears so the 'concert experience' could very easily be understood as wanting that sensation while judiciously reducing the SPL at the eardrum. As to what the bands want that could easily be put down to the musicians and perhaps their tour staff - managers, BEs, backline techs - having already suffered siginficant hearing loss from years of excessive exposure and thus their point of reference is offset.

That's one that I find quite interesting.  If most people now realize that it's just too freaking loud, you'd think that bands would want to mix quieter.

I try to do that on most shows, but some bands demand that I create earbleed levels.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2024, 04:18:21 PM »

That's one that I find quite interesting.  If most people now realize that it's just too freaking loud, you'd think that bands would want to mix quieter.

I try to do that on most shows, but some bands demand that I create earbleed levels.

Depends on the situation and the band, when the venue has rules most band members will turn down when asked or not be invited back.

The club I work regularly gets really loud from audience chatter alone, especially when a full band fires up, so I still have to mix around 90-95db for the band to be heard, which is my comfort zone for full bands anyways. We have to keep it below 95 in there because they have "that one neighbor" who calls the cops when he can hear music in the background - the police are blind to us pointing out that we're well within the legal limit & the cars driving by outside are louder. When we have seated shows the audience is far more respectful & I can mix them appropriately low. Another outdoor venue I work in the summer can peak out over 100db without issues because they're in a large outdoor mall with no housing neighbors, it only got that loud a couple of times over 30 shows last summer.

To the subject I'm in the digital mixers & quality self-powered speakers camp, I love having a full outdoor concert setup that I can carry and work from my van, no need for box trucks at my size.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2024, 04:18:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.