ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PSW Archives  (Read 1594 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
PSW Archives
« on: March 01, 2024, 09:08:40 AM »

Since I am semi-retired I have been doing a daily early-morning-dig-through of the PSW archives reading through posts dating back to 4/2004.

The live-sound challenges were the same for the most part back then.  The gear has changed for sure, especially with the proliferation of LED lights/digi boards/active cabs, switching amps, etc.

Knowing that all of the improved tech has made things easier and all of the improvements were necessary: which improvements do you think have had the most positive impact on your-end of live sound production?

For me listed in order: #1 switching-amps #2 LED lights #3 digital boards/snakes #4 active cabs.
my rationale: #'s 1&2 has made chasing power less critical #'s 3&4 way-easier all the way around

I know that everyone's needs are different; mixing on an installed rig, rental house, club-band sound, etc.  but it would be interesting to hear from those that were in-the-trenches back in the early 2K's and are still at-it today.

??

Nate Zifra

Re: PSW Archives
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 09:42:07 AM »

Tough call, as there's been so many changes over the years.  But the one that impacts all my gigs is Ipad (glass) mixing/control with digital consoles.  Complete game changer from having to mix side stage or run a FOH snake/power, to being able to mix from just about anywhere including mixing/ringing out monitors right on stage. 

Honorable mention to DSP and having engineer designed presets and settings built into the power amps and active speakers.

Since I am semi-retired I have been doing a daily early-morning-dig-through of the PSW archives reading through posts dating back to 4/2004.

The live-sound challenges were the same for the most part back then.  The gear has changed for sure, especially with the proliferation of LED lights/digi boards/active cabs, switching amps, etc.

Knowing that all of the improved tech has made things easier and all of the improvements were necessary: which improvements do you think have had the most positive impact on your-end of live sound production?

For me listed in order: #1 switching-amps #2 LED lights #3 digital boards/snakes #4 active cabs.
my rationale: #'s 1&2 has made chasing power less critical #'s 3&4 way-easier all the way around

I know that everyone's needs are different; mixing on an installed rig, rental house, club-band sound, etc.  but it would be interesting to hear from those that were in-the-trenches back in the early 2K's and are still at-it today.

??

scottstephens

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 11:46:57 AM »

Hello Mike & Everyone else.

For me personally, it was what brought me the most R O I.  So the #1 thing would be my little A&H QU16. It sounds good and it is easy to learn. #2 would be Good powered speakers. SRX, PRX & now RCF nx-32's.  Other than that, wireless mics and lately, good mic stands. I can't believe how many times lately I've been told things like: hey your stands are nice, they actually work and stay in place. They were one of the first things I purchased a L O N G time ago. I know that they aren't a new addition to our world but I get compliments on them. Thank you Tama & K&M. Other than that, going back a little ways would be lighter amps. They have definitely made me money, saved me room in the truck and saved my back.

Scott
Southeast Ohio

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 12:28:31 PM »

??

From a small provider standpoint the digital console/stage box has made the weight go down and the service go up in what I can own and carry around and well as  saving set up and tear down time. The QU was easy to learn on then the SQ comes along and brings an almost pro console within reach of us that can't afford 35-50 grand for a console. After that the powered speaker has reduced the weight on my back as well as sound incredibly accurate doing that. I still use conventional mains as the big rig but the amps have gotten a ton lighter. And yes the LED lights make chasing power less of a worry ...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 01:09:43 PM »

Compact digital mixers, with or without a digital snake system.  The inclusion of compressors, gates, 4-5-6 band parametric EQ on inputs and outputs, internal effects that were decent (Yamaha) and sophisticated-for-the-time routing makes this the single class of device that changed what came out of the loudspeakers.

The next would be Class D and other light weight power amps, then combined with internal DSP, and then that whole box added to the loudspeaker itself.

I still own my first digital mixer, an 01v with 60mm faders and the silver face.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 01:41:16 PM »

Digital mixers hands down made the greatest impact on smaller shows.  The racks of gear that they replaced is immesurable.

Lighter weight power amps are nice, but in the scheme of things, it's just a slightly lighter road case.  Had I had proper road cases and ramps back when I was young and stupid, it wouldn't have mattered.

LED lights are hard to say.  Yeah, they need less power, but lots of light shows I see today are over the top vomit.  It's hard to say that's actually an improvement.
Brian Jojade

Robert Healey

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 02:28:17 PM »

I came into the industry just at the analog/digital switchover but tracked over to the installed AV side where networking has changed everything so rapidly and the entire industry has been turned on its head. I mostly attend concerts at the lounge level but have started getting back in the trenches with a friend's bar band. I am seeing the following:

- Digital video. Crappy dive bars have LED or projection backdrops now and venues now need to support the band's video content.
- Cheap speakers sound so much better, I think this is due to CAD being used in design and FIR DSP being used in processing for the cheapest products. For instance, the EV ZLX12P would have been an inflation adjusted $350 in 2005 and blows anything from that time in that price range out of the water.
- The standards of mixing have increased significantly (for the most part, I just had the pleasure of listening to a redlined VRX rig with the lead vocal clipping all night). I think part of that is due to compact digital mixers - everywhere has an X32 now instead of a Mackie 1604 with a questionable ribbon cable and can do things that would have taken $20k worth of outboard.
- Wireless IEMs are being used at the lowest levels of production. Not quite everyone is using them, but I see lower-end/hobby bands with splits and IEM rigs.
- Most audience members are wearing earplugs now, especially younger ones.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 02:51:25 PM »

- Most audience members are wearing earplugs now, especially younger ones.

That's one that I find quite interesting.  If most people now realize that it's just too freaking loud, you'd think that bands would want to mix quieter.

I try to do that on most shows, but some bands demand that I create earbleed levels.
Brian Jojade

James Paul

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »

Significant reduction of hum & buzz gremlins related to A.C. mains ground, a benefit of digital control and connectivity, in addition to the above.

Rick Powell

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 08:50:21 PM »

Significant reduction of hum & buzz gremlins related to A.C. mains ground, a benefit of digital control and connectivity, in addition to the above.

I canít remember the last time a buzz or hum was so objectionable it required a ground lift or alternate power source.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 08:50:21 PM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.